Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #41
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mac Blackwood is a badass name. How unfortunate he's going to get lit up tonight.

First line wakes up. Flames win 7-2.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #42
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Is the season over? Did the Flames finish 2nd?

Still no guarantee they get the Knights.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #43
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
IMO goaltending is the only reason it's as close as it is. Otherwise the Flames have a much superior team top to bottom.
Agree. But goaltending is everything in the playoffs. You just can't have bad goals. Remember Elliott? Everyone thought we got pounded by the Ducks that series. We didn't. It was super tight and I thought we were the better team in 2 of the four games with a push in a third. But we got bounced hard because of terrible goaltending.

Vegas is starting a guy who would have won the Smyth in a walk last year if his team performed better in the finals. That series would be a coin flip.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Agree. But goaltending is everything in the playoffs. You just can't have bad goals. Remember Elliott? Everyone thought we got pounded by the Ducks that series. We didn't. It was super tight and I thought we were the better team in 2 of the four games with a push in a third. But we got bounced hard because of terrible goaltending.

Vegas is starting a guy who would have won the Smyth in a walk last year if his team performed better in the finals. That series would be a coin flip.
Yes, but that's not the point of the post I was responding to. That post said even if the Flames get great goaltending it's a coinflip. I say it's only a coin flip (and probably not that) right now because MAF is playing so well and the Flames aren't getting stellar goaltending. If the Flames get improved goaltending at or nearly to MAF's level they will win fairly easily.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #45
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

No excuses tonight. Obviously not a must win, but it's hard to imagine a team winning its division and outplaying the Sharks down the stretch, being unable to beat an AHL team at home.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yes, but that's not the point of the post I was responding to. That post said even if the Flames get great goaltending it's a coinflip. I say it's only a coin flip (and probably not that) right now because MAF is playing so well and the Flames aren't getting stellar goaltending. If the Flames get improved goaltending at or nearly to MAF's level they will win fairly easily.
Rittich vs Fleury
.911 vs .912 Save Percentage%
.611 vs .567 Quality Start%

THe difference between these two players is that when one guy has a bad start, his team goes right on back to his awful backup. The other team knows better than to play the awful backup.

Fleury is no more likely to take over a series than Rittich. The only advantage he has is that he has the net by default whereas any poor start by Rittich will be punished by a self-destructive Smith start.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #47
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win or lose would like to see some 1st line production...
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see some 1st line production too, but winning is more important
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Rittich vs Fleury

THe difference between these two players is that when one guy has a bad start, his team goes right on back to his awful backup. The other team knows better than to play the awful backup.

Fleury is no more likely to take over a series than Rittich. The only advantage he has is that he has the net by default whereas any poor start by Rittich will be punished by a self-destructive Smith start.
I'm not sure how this is in any way an answer to my post. And the year long stats don;t really reflect recent play, which is what I specifically referred to. But if you are saying the teams have equally good starting goaltending, then I guess the answer is in the standings - the Flames are otherwise the superior team.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #50
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Such hyperbole.

There is a gigantic difference between being unconcerned about facing VGK in the playoffs, and believing this match will be a “walk in the park.”

The Knights are not scary. That does not mean that the Flames will not break a sweat in beating them. Quite to the contrary, I see this as potentially a tightly contested and entertaining series, but I also think the Flames emerge victorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feels like a lecture for a guy having his opinion. He can be nervous if he wants.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
Feels like a lecture for a guy having his opinion. He can be nervous if he wants.
No, he's not talking about nerves. He's talking about the notion that posters said Vegas would be a walk in the park, which is untrue. No one said this.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, he can.

That has practically nothing to do with mischaracterizing a lack of concern as casually dismissive. It's hyperbole, which is what I was calling into question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #53
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, he can.

That has practically nothing to do with mischaracterizing a lack of concern as casually dismissive. It's hyperbole, which is what I was calling into question.
I've wondered in the past if you and hat_trick are the same poster. Now that I see you fighting with yourself I am concerned for you.

but my point is this, you have seemed to rush to chastise posters for feeling nervous. You don't need to respond to each nervous-nelly post.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #55
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Rittich vs Fleury

He said right now though.

Since Jan 1st

Fleury .916
Smith .905
Rittich .898
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #56
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Such hyperbole.

There is a gigantic difference between being unconcerned about facing VGK in the playoffs, and believing this match will be a “walk in the park.”

The Knights are not scary. That does not mean that the Flames will not break a sweat in beating them. Quite to the contrary, I see this as potentially a tightly contested and entertaining series, but I also think the Flames emerge victorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re right, the term “walk in the park” was never used, and I didn’t say it ever was lol. In previous threads, there were posters saying that Vegas isn’t a scary team, have no depth, no good D men and writing off Fleury’s abilities because of his current save %, which I’d be more concerned with his recent play and his playoff pedigree.

I’m not a nervous nelly, and I do think the Flames would take Begas in a best of 7. But youre damn right playing a Vegas team that has gotten hot recently in round one of the playoffs makes me nervous. But then again, I haven’t seen my flames play many playoff games past round one in my lifetime so it doesn’t matter who they match up with, I’m going to be nervous. But the excited kind of nervous . Go Flames Go!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I've wondered in the past if you and hat_trick are the same poster. Now that I see you fighting with yourself I am concerned for you.

but my point is this, you have seemed to rush to chastise posters for feeling nervous. You don't need to respond to each nervous-nelly post.
I not only find it strange that this was your interpretation of my response to ---Hattrick---, I find it equally odd that you read his comment as a "nervous nelly post."

Let's review in context. Here was the first comment posted by Ducay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
We're gonna need every point we can in the battle with SJS for the top spot. Monstrous difference between 1st and 2nd in Pacific for playoff matchups.
I agree with everything here. Tonight's game is important, there are points on the line, and there is a big difference between facing off against VGK and one of the Wildcard teams in the playoffs.

To which ---Hattrick--- responded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
I agree 100%. Although there’s is quite a few here that believe Vegas will be a walk in the park in a playoff match up
The thesis in my post appears in the second sentence. It is odd that anyone could miss it...

Quote:
...There is a gigantic difference between being unconcerned about facing VGK in the playoffs, and believing this match will be a “walk in the park”...
Where in my post do I impugn others for being nervous? The entire point of my comment was to call out HYPERBOLE. I have yet to see anyone suggest that a playoff series with VGK would be a "walk in the park." Somewhere between "nervous" and "walk in the park" is a whole gamut of emotion. ---Hattrick---'s post is a consummate straw man. That is the entire point I was raising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #58
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Text, if you look back in the PGT after the win over Vegas, you will see more of the “walk in the park” comments I was referring to. This was never meant to be picking you out of a crowd specifically
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #59
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

GFG! You gotta support the team

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #60
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames 7 - Devils 0