Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:
Default NHL Rule Section 10 84.2

I was looking at the OOT thread for 2/18 the other day, and late in the thread, there was a discussion about the net being ajar and pulling one's goalie.

Well, I thought about it, and the risk is VERY high, if for whatever reason, the net gets settled back on the peg. Because with a pulled goalie, NHL Rules, section 10 84.2 might apply.

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What?

That can't be real?

But why?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's real. I remember it being talked about when 4-on-4 was first introduced.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to see that a bit.
Have control of puck, work the 4 on 3.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Would love to see that a bit.
Have control of puck, work the 4 on 3.
If a team needs a ROW at the end of the season you might see it, is there any other scenario where it would make sense?
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Pretty sure it was Burke that pointed it out when the league went to 3 on 3 OT, and the league put that rule in.

They announced 3 on 3, and (I think) Burke immediately mentioned he was pulling his goalie for every OT in favour of 4 on 3. The league immediately implemented the point forfeit rule to make sure that didn't happen.

I would love to see someone try it though. Gain control of the puck, and have the goalie skate to the bench for another attacker. Or send the goalie up the ice if he can play the puck......would be hilarious to see work.

Mike Smith, OT PP QB.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
If a team needs a ROW at the end of the season you might see it, is there any other scenario where it would make sense?

The oilers enter the game tied for last place in the standings with Ottawa. The point earned at the end of regulation puts them one point up on the Senators, reducing their odds of winning the draft lottery from 18.5% to 16.5%. Edmonton pulls the goalie and gives up a goal, dropping them back to a tie with Ottawa. Based on ROWs, Ottawa is ranked 30th, while Edmonton finishes 31st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really get why this rule exists. Does the NHL think having a 4 to 3 player advantage is so strong that teams would be willing to pull their goalies voluntarily?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't really get why this rule exists. Does the NHL think having a 4 to 3 player advantage is so strong that teams would be willing to pull their goalies voluntarily?
Yes. If you're playing a team from the other conference why not pull your goalie if you have possession late in overtime and go 4 on 3 to try to end it before the crapshoot of the shootout? It's still a possibility if near the end of the season a team is looking at a potential tiebreaker where a shootout win isn't good enough for them and they need the ROW.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I would love to see someone try it though. Gain control of the puck, and have the goalie skate to the bench for another attacker. Or send the goalie up the ice if he can play the puck......would be hilarious to see work.

Mike Smith, OT PP QB.
Unfortunately there is a rule preventing the goalie from handling the puck on the other side of center ice - Patrick Roy got called for it a while back when he deked around Gretzky and kept going.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"You pulled your goalie? Fine, I'll pull mine too!" Like a game of Hockey Chicken.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post

Flames have lost 8 straight shootouts. If you win the faceoff, gain possession, why not try it if the rule doesn't exist? You start with Monahan, Gaudreau, and Giordano. Then add either Lindholm, Tkachuk, or Brodie. The Flames have the 7th best power play percentage in the league, and also the worst shootout percentage.

What is the downfall if you try it and get scored upon? You still get your point. You may need the ROW more than the point, depending on the standings.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #13
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Yes. If you're playing a team from the other conference why not pull your goalie if you have possession late in overtime and go 4 on 3 to try to end it before the crapshoot of the shootout? It's still a possibility if near the end of the season a team is looking at a potential tiebreaker where a shootout win isn't good enough for them and they need the ROW.
If I was the opposing team I want the other side pulling their goalie. Pretty much an automatic goal once you gain possession, but I do see a 4 on 3 advantage being much stronger in OT because the team with only 3 players would not have PKers on the ice.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind eliminating that rule in the AHL or preseason to see what happens. Give teams/coaches the opportunity to strategize and try something different
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
The oilers enter the game tied for last place in the standings with Ottawa. The point earned at the end of regulation puts them one point up on the Senators, reducing their odds of winning the draft lottery from 18.5% to 16.5%. Edmonton pulls the goalie and gives up a goal, dropping them back to a tie with Ottawa. Based on ROWs, Ottawa is ranked 30th, while Edmonton finishes 31st.
They might as well start shooting on their own goal... But I see your point.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Flames have lost 8 straight shootouts. If you win the faceoff, gain possession, why not try it if the rule doesn't exist? You start with Monahan, Gaudreau, and Giordano. Then add either Lindholm, Tkachuk, or Brodie. The Flames have the 7th best power play percentage in the league, and also the worst shootout percentage.

What is the downfall if you try it and get scored upon? You still get your point. You may need the ROW more than the point, depending on the standings.
The downfall is you don't still get your point, as it states in the rule section of the OP.

If a team pulls their goalie in OT and loses while the goalie is pulled, they get 0 points.
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #17
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
The downfall is you don't still get your point, as it states in the rule section of the OP.

If a team pulls their goalie in OT and loses while the goalie is pulled, they get 0 points.
Fire asked why the rule exists. I gave a reason and scenario why it exists. If the rule doesn’t exist then teams would be more apt to pull the goalie to try for the extra point in OT, and get the ROW, instead of going for the coin flip shootout.

There is no downfall to pulling the goalie if the rule doesn’t exist.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Pretty sure it was Burke that pointed it out when the league went to 3 on 3 OT, and the league put that rule in.

They announced 3 on 3, and (I think) Burke immediately mentioned he was pulling his goalie for every OT in favour of 4 on 3. The league immediately implemented the point forfeit rule to make sure that didn't happen.

Mike Smith, OT PP QB.
It was Bobby Clarke when they introduced 4 on 4. He basically came out and said he'd have the Flyers do that, prompting the league to immediately add this rule.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how every obscure NHL rule has a plausible Oilers edge case.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fire asked why the rule exists. I gave a reason and scenario why it exists. If the rule doesn’t exist then teams would be more apt to pull the goalie to try for the extra point in OT, and get the ROW, instead of going for the coin flip shootout.
Why is this a bad thing? Games end sooner, fewer shootouts, it's all to the good. Plus it increases tension. I agree with those above who think this shouldn't be a rule.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote