Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you rearrange the letters in "MARK SPECTOR", it becomes "TSK, MORE CRAP".

Coincidence?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since he wrote that article:

Oilers - Record: 80-74-19 P: 170 GF: 470 GA: 502 GD: -32 NHL Rank: 21st

Flames - Record: 90-59-16 P: 196 GF: 497 GA: 467 GD: +30 NHL Rank: 10th

26 more points.
27 more goals for
35 fewer goals against
62 better in goal differential

Mark Spector is no good.

Also just for good fun...since that article:

McDavid + Draisaitl: 147 combined goals - $21M AAV
Gaudreau + Monahan: 131 combined goals - $13.125M AAV

Oilers...paying 60% more for 12% more goals.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-22-2019 at 12:59 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #23
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not quite the 2-year anniversary of this...but I think with the last couple of weeks the Oilers have been having there's never been a better time to pile on!

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/pete...rd/c-289474670

Quote:
Executive of the Year Candidate - Peter Chiarelli, Edmonton Oilers

Chiarelli assembled a roster that skated to its first 100-point campaign since 1986-87, earned a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2005-06 and posted a League-leading 33-point improvement over 2015-16. Chiarelli acquired defensemen Adam Larsson (trade) and Kris Russell (free agent) during the offseason, bolstering a blue line that helped the Oilers cut their goals-against total (excluding shootouts) to 207, their fewest over an 82-game season since 2001-02. The first-time NHL Awards finalist also added veteran forwards Milan Lucic (offseason free agent) and David Desharnais (trade deadline) to complement homegrown stars Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
Member when the media and Oiler fans all loved Chiarelli?

I MEMBER!

Last edited by JohnnyTitan; 01-22-2019 at 12:57 PM.
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Knowing Spector, I wouldn't put it past him to request Sportsnet to take down the article, so I'm preserving it in its entirety here, so we never lose its eternal no-goodness:

Quote:
Oilers leaving Flames behind in Battle of Alberta

Mark Spector @sportsnetspec
January 22, 2017, 2:40 AM

CALGARY — “I don’t even know where to start,” said Calgary Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan. “I think we have to re-look at everything.”

Gulutzan’s team had just been hammered 7-3 by the hated Edmonton Oilers but the game score does not come close to telling the whole story.

Edmonton officially passed Calgary Saturday night, in both the macro and micro sense of the word.

The Oilers moved nine points ahead of the Flames in the standings and will not be caught by their rivals this season. In the bigger picture, Edmonton is where Calgary was supposed to be by now, well on their way to being a top-10 National Hockey League team with an long and bright future.

Calgary has been the better franchise for many years. They are not anymore, and are firmly in the chase position from this point forward.

“We had a chance to close the gap a bit,” said captain Mark Giordano. “There was a lot riding on this game.”

The Flames are stalled for now, trying to figure out how to be any good in front of sub-par goaltending, wondering if leaders like Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan are the real deal, truly able to carry this team beyond its current state.
On a Southern Alberta Saturday night, Edmonton handled the Flames on Hockey Night in Canada the way a steer wrestler handles a skinny calf. Up, down, tied and time.

“It’s a weird game,” said Connor McDavid, who had but one point on the night. “I think that was a little bit more open than they want to play, but being down three early, you kind of have to go. We found a way to score a few early and that kind of forced them to open up.”

Anton Slepyshev rifled a wrister past Chad Johnson just 77 seconds into the tilt. Then Zack Kassian made a lovely pass from behind the net to Mark Letestu at 5:22, and 36 seconds after that Jordan Eberle squeezed one by short-side on Johnson.

After goals on three of the first four shots, Johnson was on the Flames’ bench in favour of Brian Elliott, whom Calgary has little faith in. The Flames have had major goaltending issues this season and they were exacerbated Saturday, as Johnson stopped Edmonton’s first shot of the evening, then felt the next three blister past.

“I felt ready,” said Johnson, a Calgary kid making his first ever start in The Battle. Alas, it was more Reggie Lemelin than Miikka Kiprusoff.

“Just four shots and [I] made one save?” he said. “Let three goals in? It was really not what I had in mind, or what anybody pictured it to be.”

Ironically, the pre-game goaltending concerns lied up north, where Oilers fans wondered if they were throwing the two points away by giving AHL call-up Laurent Brossoit his first start of the season. In the end, Brossoit was by far the best goalie in the game, beaten by two deflections and a Monahan breakaway, earning his first career NHL victory.

“Last year I had an opportunity and I didn’t make it work so I put a lot of work in to make sure this is the last time I get a call up,” said Brossoit, a former Flames draft pick who was traded to Edmonton for Ladislav Smid and parts.

With Jonas Gustavsson well out of the Oilers’ plans, Broissoit is here to stay.

“I’m going to be patient,” he said. “I’m not trying to win a starting spot this year. I know my role and I’m just going to work hard in practices and be ready for opportunities like this to play.”

Here’s a stat that’s hard to believe: the victory marks the first time since 1985-86 that the Oilers have swept the season series, winning all four games — one in a shootout, the other three in regulation.

Calgary swept the season series 6-0 in 2009-10, and won all five games in 2014-15. The closest Edmonton came was in 1983-84 — Edmonton’s first Stanley Cup season — when they went 7-0-1 against the Flames.

“It’s embarrassing,” said Gulutzan. “It’s embarrassing. Our resolve to stick to it wasn’t there.”

Calgary’s a wild card team at best now, while the Oilers are well in contention for the Pacific Division lead.

It’s a big change in Alberta, and it won’t be changing back soon.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #25
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
So in that article on Jan 22, 2017, Oilers were up by 9 points on the Flames. Fast forward 2 years, and Flames are 20 points up on the Oilers this season. Hilarious.

Forget two years later...try two months later.... on the date of March 14th, 2017

Calgary was 40-26-4 (84 pts in 69 games)

Edmonton was 37-24-9 (83pts in 69 games)

That was after Edmonton had swept the season series, each game with its own questionable storyline diminishing the final score - whether that was officiating or goaltending or Niklas Grossman.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #26
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just tweeted the article to Spec.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #27
Hangman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What....an idiot.

What Mark Spector knows about hockey wouldnt fill a thimble.
That’s being extremely generous.
I would have said the head of a pin.
Hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #28
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

This reminds of at least one other person who could eat some crow right about now:

I know it was years ago and he’s not even on TV anymore (that I know of). But I love how wrong he was about Johnny HOCKEY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #29
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very much okay with a thread dedicated to Spector's terrible sports journalism. The guy has been unaccountable to the truth for his entire career. How do we get this thread to the top of Google?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats with all the Oiler talk on here lately, save it for the E= NG thread.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #31
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
How do we get this thread to the top of Google?
Everyone click these links
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Two+Y...extra)+No+Good

https://www.google.com/search?q=Edmo...de&nfpr=1&sa=X
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
chia•den•freu•de

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #33
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
gg in edmonton is so fitting as well. The oilers should hire the other gg as well, greg gilbert. Coincidence that 2 of our worst coaches had gg for initials?
gg = ng!
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #34
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
One thread can't contain all that fail.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #35
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The crazy part is most of my Oiler fan friends (ick) think Spector is an Oiler hater.

It's incredible how following Oilers media/propaganda can remove people so far from reality.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
The crazy part is most of my Oiler fan friends (ick) think Spector is an Oiler hater.

It's incredible how following Oilers media/propaganda can remove people so far from reality.
It's because Spector pretends to be a Calgary/Edmonton reporter and was someone pumped that way on Kerr's show, among others. Except when you dug down it wasn't so.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #37
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
How about you start by doing your ####ing job.

Nahh let's just continue to do the same thing over and over.

God ####ing dammit, that guy was a terrible coach.
Now hold on a second here. Have you done a deep enough dive into the numbers to come to this conclusion?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #38
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post

The only thing that makes him seem balanced is when he talks with Bob Stauffer who somehow bring every hockey conversation back to a comparison with the 1980's.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's because Spector pretends to be a Calgary/Edmonton reporter and was someone pumped that way on Kerr's show, among others. Except when you dug down it wasn't so.
Yup. He's been fraudulently representing himself as a voice of the BOA, 'a reporter for both sides', for some time now.

But it simply isn't true. He is an unabashed Oiler fanboy. And every time something positive happens up there, you will find him giggling like a school girl about it.

Stauffer at least admits he's a fanboy. Spector tries to pretend that he is an unbiased journalist. That's why I have way less respect for Spector than any of the other fawning media members up there.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #40
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
GG in Edmonton is so fitting as well. the Oilers should hire the other GG as well, Greg Gilbert. Coincidence that 2 of our worst coaches had GG for initials?

Yes! GG for offense and GG for defense, just glorious.