Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I make due with one at work for now.

Have contemplated West Side Rec centre since moving to SW, but place looks like it might be a bit of a gong show. Anyone go there?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #22
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I recently joined an Orange Theory Fitness gym.
How are the results? Is it working for you and your wife?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #23
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Well... I cancelled my WHC membership finally.. Still stuck here till middle of March. Do you think other gyms are willing to pay my last month so I can use their gym right away? If that makes sense.
remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #24
grabulasa
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

Have contemplated West Side Rec centre since moving to SW, but place looks like it might be a bit of a gong show. Anyone go there?
I renewed my membership for a second year, it's a bit on the pricey side $735/year with no monthly option. But you get a pool, skating rink and a 400 m running track.

The gym is well equipped, loads of machine options, 6 squat racks and good range of free weights. Never had to wait too long to use what I wanted.
grabulasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone try Fit4less. While I do DDP Yoga, I want to start getting some cardio work in and some strength training in to round out my program.

I looked at it at $18.00 per month with no commitment, and saw that they seem to have the basics down and are open 24 hours a day and wonder how you can go wrong?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #26
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Anyone try Fit4less. While I do DDP Yoga, I want to start getting some cardio work in and some strength training in to round out my program.

I looked at it at $18.00 per month with no commitment, and saw that they seem to have the basics down and are open 24 hours a day and wonder how you can go wrong?
Thanks for bringing up this place. I had no idea it even existed. I'll be stopping by to check out the facilities.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
Thanks for bringing up this place. I had no idea it even existed. I'll be stopping by to check out the facilities.
I'm going by tonight to pick up my membership cards, I've read the reviews of it and for what I want to do it seems alright.

It has the cardio gear, free weights (biggest dumbells are 75 pounds) and strength machines, they're skimpy on the amenities like locker areas etc, but I can do things like shower at home since I live 5 minutes away.

I just want to go to a gym, do some cardio do some medium weight work and go, I don't need the rest of the stuff.

One huge positive is I can let other people use my membership .

The pricing and location seems to be right.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #28
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody try 9 Round Fitness yet? There is a new one in Willow Park.

What are the rates there?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #29
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
How are the results? Is it working for you and your wife?
Whoops. Sorry for the year long lapse in responding.

Pros:
- Workouts were fun and did a great job of working muscles you didn't know you had
- Staff was knowledgeable and kind
- Equipment was very nice
- Cancellation procedure was very smooth (dramatic foreshadowing)

Cons:
- It was a bit too intense for me. True you can go as hard or as light as you want, but when you have a trainer pushing you harder and harder, I never actually went light (even when I maybe should have)
- My cycle went: this is fun --> this is hard --> everything hurts --> I'd rather do anything than go
- It worked so many different muscles that truthfully I didn't notice much difference. I was certainly healthier, but in terms of body change I didn't notice much. If you go more often per week you'd probably notice a huge difference, but I couldn't afford to go more than a few times.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #30
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Whoops. Sorry for the year long lapse in responding.
What is your monthly cost at Orange Theory?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #31
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I recently joined an Orange Theory Fitness gym. It's a bit different and is more class-based than just an open place to go and work out. The idea is you wear a heart monitor that displays your active heart rate as a percentage of your resting heart rate up on a big screen. As it rises and falls you end up in different colour categories, with the ultimate goal to keep yourself within certain colours for certain time periods.

Classes generally run about 60 minutes and involve ½ treadmill/bike, ½ weights/rowing. You sign up and keep track of everything via the app, and each workout ends with an email giving you a breakdown of calories burned, how often you spent in each zone, etc. I like it because it gives you a graphical representation of how you're improving.

So far what my wife and I enjoy about it is that it's somewhere between a standard gym membership and having a personal trainer. Signing up for a class keeps you going, and it kicks your ass quite a bit when you might otherwise take it easy or skip the workout completely if you were self-guided. We've already had a few instances where we'd have absolutely skipped a workout had it been under our own control. It's also good if you're like me and you purposefully skip certain exercises because you hate them.

The cost is a downside as it runs about $100/month, but when you compare it to class costs elsewhere or getting a trainer, it makes sense. There's 2 locations up north (Creekside and Royal Oak), and one down south (Seton).
I was looking at this place as there isn't much around my place yet but it looked like the classes weren't very personalized and it didn't look like a good fit for anyone who wasn't aiming to lose weight. Do you think it would work for someone whose main goal is to gain?

I'm probably just going to wait for the gym they're building next door to my place to open now. Only like 5 months away at this point.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #32
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I've got a buddy who uses Fit4Less and ya I was going to say the main thing he doesn't like is the dumb bells only go up to 75. Other than that he seems to enjoy it, especially for the price.

Lol just realized that CC's post is over a year old, opps.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-11-2016 at 04:26 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #33
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talisman Centre is the best in the business.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

I have been a member since it opened. What do you mean by gong show? What are you looking for in a gym?

I think the family membership is an incredible value for what is included.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #35
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're a woman and live in the more central part of the SW, might I recommend the Richmond WHC? My gym is such a sausage fest, it's ridiculous. The ratio is way off

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-12-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
They range depending on the owner. Ours was about $85/month, which is about $30-$40 cheaper than other Orange Theory studios.

Edit: I should add that allowed me 3 visits per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I was looking at this place as there isn't much around my place yet but it looked like the classes weren't very personalized and it didn't look like a good fit for anyone who wasn't aiming to lose weight. Do you think it would work for someone whose main goal is to gain?

I'm probably just going to wait for the gym they're building next door to my place to open now. Only like 5 months away at this point.
If your main goal is to gain I'm not sure it's for you. A standard session is 1 hour and is at least 50% cardio. It's a full body workout, so if you're aiming to focus on one thing I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited by Russic; 04-12-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #37
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I was also at Orange Theory in Seton. When I joined, an unlimited membership was $150/month. I believe now (7 months later), it's just over $200/month. It's good if you're new to fitness, and since you have to pay for classes canceled before the deadline, it kind of forces you to go.

I still have until the end of April until my membership expires. If anyone wants to join, PM me. From what I was told, I can transfer my membership over at my old rate.

I've since moved on to Fit4Less on Macleod Tr.. I pay only $10/month. It's pretty basic, but has a decent amount of cardio equipment. The weight area gets pretty busy after work. There's only 1 or 2 pieces each of major equipment (bench rack, squat rack, etc). The parking lot is a bit of a zoo after work, and there was a homeless guy sleeping in the parking lot a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely OK, when you consider the price.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #38
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

these are mostly American gym franchises but there are local equivalents for the most part that you'll recognize...

Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #39
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Dom is freaking hilarious haha
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #40
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

BUMP!

So i havent been to the gym in a couple years and am now out of shape. I used to go to WHC in sunridge 5 days a week, but just kinda gave up on it for some reason i still dont know. Couple questions. Do any of you go to the newish Goodlife in the sunridge area? what are the prices like? I dont really want to go back to WHC because it was an absolute zoo, and while i do think Goodlife would be crazy busy as well i was thinking, since its 24 hours maybe it would be a little more manageable??
ballin is offline   Reply With Quote