Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #1
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Gyms and gym memberships?

I was wondering where do you guys workout if you workout? I have a few questions about memberships, specifically at goodlife. I'm currently at World Health and I want to change up my environment since I've been going to the same one for 4 years straight now. I was thinking goodlife because the deerfoot location is so nice! I remember someone on CP being a rep from goodlife is there any promotions/deals you can set me up with?

Also, if you guys recommend any other gym I'm open for options! Not talisman or golds...

Thanks in advance!

Sorry mods is there anyway to move this to the off topic forum? I'm not sure how it got into food and entertainment...

Last edited by remember2004; 02-11-2015 at 02:26 AM.
remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am a member at goodlife in mackenzie towne - the gym suits my needs.

my only compalints is that the parking lot is not that great, too many people there who text between sets/reps (although this is lijkely an issue at almost all gyms these days), and the gym itself is small.

i have yeat to workout at the old golds off of 130th
Old 02-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I recently joined an Orange Theory Fitness gym. It's a bit different and is more class-based than just an open place to go and work out. The idea is you wear a heart monitor that displays your active heart rate as a percentage of your resting heart rate up on a big screen. As it rises and falls you end up in different colour categories, with the ultimate goal to keep yourself within certain colours for certain time periods.

Classes generally run about 60 minutes and involve ½ treadmill/bike, ½ weights/rowing. You sign up and keep track of everything via the app, and each workout ends with an email giving you a breakdown of calories burned, how often you spent in each zone, etc. I like it because it gives you a graphical representation of how you're improving.

So far what my wife and I enjoy about it is that it's somewhere between a standard gym membership and having a personal trainer. Signing up for a class keeps you going, and it kicks your ass quite a bit when you might otherwise take it easy or skip the workout completely if you were self-guided. We've already had a few instances where we'd have absolutely skipped a workout had it been under our own control. It's also good if you're like me and you purposefully skip certain exercises because you hate them.

The cost is a downside as it runs about $100/month, but when you compare it to class costs elsewhere or getting a trainer, it makes sense. There's 2 locations up north (Creekside and Royal Oak), and one down south (Seton).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember2004 View Post
I was wondering where do you guys workout if you workout? I have a few questions about memberships, specifically at goodlife. I'm currently at World Health and I want to change up my environment since I've been going to the same one for 4 years straight now. I was thinking goodlife because the deerfoot location is so nice! I remember someone on CP being a rep from goodlife is there any promotions/deals you can set me up with?

Also, if you guys recommend any other gym I'm open for options! Not talisman or golds...

Thanks in advance!

Sorry mods is there anyway to move this to the off topic forum? I'm not sure how it got into food and entertainment...
Stay away from deerfoot goodlife if you work out after work. Place is an absolute zoo from 4-7pm. Busiest I've ever seen a gym. No free lockers, most of the cardio equipment is in use, free weights area is packed.

They've oversold at that location so badly, it makes me regret signing up for my one year corporate membership.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchBite For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
Stay away from deerfoot goodlife if you work out after work. Place is an absolute zoo from 4-7pm. Busiest I've ever seen a gym. No free lockers, most of the cardio equipment is in use, free weights area is packed.

They've oversold at that location so badly, it makes me regret signing up for my one year corporate membership.
Oh haha at least I know when the busy times are. World Health Edgemont is the same anything from 5-7 is when people flood the place. I usually go in the early hours of the morning so I shouldn't have a problem. I wonder if there is a way I can get a better monthly deal somehow.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I recently joined an Orange Theory Fitness gym. It's a bit different and is more class-based than just an open place to go and work out. The idea is you wear a heart monitor that displays your active heart rate as a percentage of your resting heart rate up on a big screen. As it rises and falls you end up in different colour categories, with the ultimate goal to keep yourself within certain colours for certain time periods.

Classes generally run about 60 minutes and involve ½ treadmill/bike, ½ weights/rowing. You sign up and keep track of everything via the app, and each workout ends with an email giving you a breakdown of calories burned, how often you spent in each zone, etc. I like it because it gives you a graphical representation of how you're improving.

So far what my wife and I enjoy about it is that it's somewhere between a standard gym membership and having a personal trainer. Signing up for a class keeps you going, and it kicks your ass quite a bit when you might otherwise take it easy or skip the workout completely if you were self-guided. We've already had a few instances where we'd have absolutely skipped a workout had it been under our own control. It's also good if you're like me and you purposefully skip certain exercises because you hate them.

The cost is a downside as it runs about $100/month, but when you compare it to class costs elsewhere or getting a trainer, it makes sense. There's 2 locations up north (Creekside and Royal Oak), and one down south (Seton).
I haven't heard of it before but sounds really interesting. Yeah that is pretty pricey but I'm paying close to that just for my executive membership. Royal Oak is just a 10 min drive so it isn't that far.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work out at the Calgary Jewish Centre (JCC) in Pumphill. It's never that busy in the workout area, even during peak hours and it is quite large. I usually go right after work (530pm) which would be considered peak and it's not that busy. The best part is that a lot of people there are seniors so not only are you immediately one of the most fit people there, but they mostly use just the treadmills and cardio machines. I've only ever had to wait for a bench or squat rack for a couple minutes at the most. Usually never. They have a nice pool, hot tub and saunas. Also a gymnasium for basketball/floor hockey, a room for spin class and tennis courts. My membership is about $530/year, but your first year you get 2 months free. Students pay something like $350/year.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I work out at the Calgary Jewish Centre (JCC) in Pumphill. It's never that busy in the workout area, even during peak hours and it is quite large. I usually go right after work (530pm) which would be considered peak and it's not that busy. The best part is that a lot of people there are seniors so not only are you immediately one of the most fit people there, but they mostly use just the treadmills and cardio machines. I've only ever had to wait for a bench or squat rack for a couple minutes at the most. Usually never. They have a nice pool, hot tub and saunas. Also a gymnasium for basketball/floor hockey, a room for spin class and tennis courts. My membership is about $530/year, but your first year you get 2 months free. Students pay something like $350/year.
I could never improve my health at a place that doesn't believe in Jesus our lord and savior. Is the water even blessed! Kosher doesn't cut it!

http://www.calgaryjcc.com/

On a serious note, the place looks nice and that is a decent price for Calgary.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
I could never improve my health at a place that doesn't believe in Jesus our lord and savior. Is the water even blessed! Kosher doesn't cut it!

http://www.calgaryjcc.com/

On a serious note, the place looks nice and that is a decent price for Calgary.
Honestly it's the best kept secret in town when it comes to working out. All I ever hear are horror stories about other places, but I can't even recall a single time that I've gone and had to wait a long time or had to deal with any ######bros. I've even brought friends to work out together with and they all say the same thing: I'm damn lucky to have a membership there.

They even had Gary Bettman here last month giving a talk. It was very random to walk out of the change room and see the NHL commissioner standing at the front desk.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You do know you can go to other Goodlife fitness gyms around calgary, eh? As long as you have there scan card or whatever it is you can go anywhere in Calgary with it or Canada (from what I was told from the Beacon Hills Manager). I go to the Beacon Hills alot and Deerfoot on my days off through I've never gone to the Deerfoot one after 5pm but have heard from friends that it does indeed get packed.

CPHL Dallas Stars

Last edited by t0rrent98; 02-11-2015 at 11:19 PM.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gym access depends on your membership tier. I know for mine, I have "regional access" which means any good life gym in Alberta. Canada wide access was $5 more a month I think.

I go to Canyon Meadows even though I live in Copperfield, where there's 2 right by me. I like how open canyon meadows is and I usually don't have to wait for equipment.

I occasionally go to the Stephen ave location, but I find its more geared for cardio people, rather than those who lift weights.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds just like the Beacon Hill location. Weekends are passable but weeknights are brutal. I did a trial and it's just way too busy for me as I hate waiting and like to stick to my routine. I always like the smaller no-name places that aren't as busy but still have enough free weights and decent machines.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anytime Fitness on the Kincora strip mall on the NW side seems to be pretty popular these days. My sister goes to that and tis 24/7 i think.

CPHL Dallas Stars
Old 02-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Oh I know. I do use other locations occasionally.

The reason I signed up with Goodlife though is the new location being 5 minutes from my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
You do know you can go to other Goodlife fitness gyms around calgary, eh? As long as you have there scan card or whatever it is you can go anywhere in Calgary with it or Canada (from what I was told from the Beacon Hills Manager). I go to the Beacon Hills alot and Deerfoot on my days off through I've never gone to the Deerfoot one after 5pm but have heard from friends that it does indeed get packed.

CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchBite For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it normal for the gym dudes and dudates to be texting between sets/reps while still occupying the machines
Old 02-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #16
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So is it normal for the gym dudes and dudates to be texting between sets/reps while still occupying the machines
Yeah, its normal. I admit I do it too.

CPHL Dallas Stars
Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
As long as they don't sit there for several minutes texting between sets. If they just take as long as a normal rest period I don't see the harm
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last week I was at the gym and me and Portugal (the texter in question was wearing a Portugal soccer jersey) both sat down at machines next to each other, I finished with the machine I was on and two others and Portugal was still on the bicep curl machine. Funny thing was that is girlfriend was also in the gym working out, so I was wondering who he would be texting
Old 02-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why not Talisman? I love that place - $70/month = huge selection of machines/weights/TRX, pool, track, gyms/courts, classes.... Worth every penny and then some as far as I'm concerned.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #20
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingwhale View Post
Honestly it used to be the best kept secret in town when it comes to working out. Then I told everyone about it on CP. all i ever hear are horror stories about other places, but before I mentioned it, i couldn't even recall a single time that i've gone and had to wait a long time or had to deal with any ######bros. I've even brought friends to work out together with and they all say the same thing: i was so damn lucky to have a membership there, but now i've gone and blown it.

they even had gary bettman here last month giving a talk. It was very random to walk out of the change room and see the nhl commissioner standing at the front desk.
fyp
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote