Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #41
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
No love for the original Planet Of The Apes movies?
(Insert Damn Dirty Apes Joke here)
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #42
FlamesFanInOilCountry
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I feel dirty even typing the name of this movie out, but I'm going to do it anyways:

Battlefield Earth
FlamesFanInOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #43
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInOilCountry View Post
I feel dirty even typing the name of this movie out, but I'm going to do it anyways:

Battlefield Earth
What is your theten level anyways?

Hail Xenu!
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #44
FlamesFanInOilCountry
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Wait... How did we not think of this sooner... Post-Apocalyptic: Star Trek!
FlamesFanInOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanInOilCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
(Insert Damn Dirty Apes Joke here)

Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #46
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInOilCountry View Post
Wait... How did we not think of this sooner... Post-Apocalyptic: Star Trek!
Zefram Cochrane and John A. McDonald. My two favorite alcoholic historical figures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #47
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoa whoa whoa folks...

We could open this up to a giant Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-Fi, and Dystopian thread.

OR

What I was trying to do is create a thread for the most plausibly realistic-type post-apocalyptic movies as a broad guideline (i.e., The Road, Book of Eli, and Walking Dead as the pinnacle of post-apocalyptic movies).

I should've specified in the OP. I think Sci-Fi should stay away from this thread since it's a piece of crap genre.

I'll accept dystopian, if it's more heavily on the post-apocalyptic side of the spectrum (not stupid Sci-Fi).

Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions. GreatWhiteEbola, I want 2:28 of my life back. That Cherry 2000 movie looks ridiculously funny, but downright awful.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #48
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
The Road is awesome.
I may have weeped when Omar had his clothes taken away from him.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #49
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Original Dawn of the Dead (director's cut preferably) is really more of a post-apocalyptic film than a zombie film I think. Has aged well IMO.

Quiet Earth is also a rather interesting film. Has some good scenes certainly. Not new though.

Blindness is one that I've meant to watch. Heard a lot of good about it. Should be what you're looking for I think.

Ever Since the World Ended seems potentially interesting.

Take Shelter is supposedly good. Not really post-apocalyptic I think, but sort of there.

Monsters (2010) is also said to be good. Post-apocalyptish. Man I have a lot of films I've been meaning to watch...

The Last Seven might be hard to find, but it should be right up your ally I guess.
EDIT: Sorry, sort of remembered wrong. Apocalyptic, sort of, but really more of a psychological thriller/horror flick.

Last edited by Itse; 12-04-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #50
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Was Omega Man with Heston one of the first?
"The Last Man on Earth" predated that and was based off the same novel... along with "I am Legend"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/

I quite enjoyed it...
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #51
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Really enjoyed Blindness, highly recommend it.

Lets see this is my FAVORITE genre as well so here goes:

A boy and his dog

28 Days later and 28 Weeks later

Mad Max, all of them, of course #2 being my favorite.

TV Series Jericho, so few saw it and sadly only had 2 seasons, they had to rush season 2 because it was cancelled but they got so much blowback from fans and a awesome "nuts" campaign that it was finished up, kinda rushed though.

Shaun of the Dead! One of my all time favorite movies.

Stake Land, another gem that so many missed, a must see for apoc fans.

Escape from New York, classic and awesome.. Escape from LA half decent but still fun.

Reign of Fire was half decent, worth watching.

Hesitant to add it but it deals with the ending of the world, Dr. Strangelove one of my all time favorite movies.

The obvious Matrix, Terminator films, and all the " .... of the Dead" are I would assume already obvious and most people of this genre have seen them all.

Independence Day of course!

Contagion was a great movie, I love virus movies and this one was well done. Warning Sign and Outbreak were also great. Again not exactly on topic but Warning sign is a great scary movie with a isolated virus outbreak, has the feel of this genre though.

War of the Worlds 2005, I'm a sucker for this movie because I have been a huge fan of the London rock musical since I was a kid.

9 (2008) Absolutely loved the animation and the movie, highly recommended.

And finally 2 that shook me as a child, one is the ABC miniseries The day after 1983, scared me to death because then we actually were still in the cold war and this seemed possible. Very dated and not so amazing in viewing today but still fun to watch.

And finally the MUST see Threads from the UK done as a documentary of what would happen after a nuclear blast, from 1984. If there is one I'd recommend above all else is this gem that has not been seen by many in North America. Very depressing and for those of us over 35yrs old reminds us well of living in fear of nuclear destruction.

Last edited by Thor; 12-04-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #52
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Ooooh one more, how could I forget another gem, Monsters from 2010!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #53
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

When I was a teenager I saw Night of the Comet. Loved it. Catherine Mary Stewart was very good looking back then. It is a terrible movie by today's standards but it might be a good watch for the kitch factor if nothing else.

SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #54
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I've seen so many movies I would certainly appreciate more obscure and even cheesy or bad apoc movies. >D
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #55
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Children of Men and The Road are probably my favourites from the ones already listed.

Blindness is a good one that a lot of people haven't seen.

The whole world goes blind simultaneously and society ceases to function and the world eventually descends into chaos. Has kind of a modern-day Lord of the Flies feel to it. As a bonus it's a joint production between Canada, Japan and Brazil. Worth seeing if you haven't.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #56
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Whoa whoa whoa folks...

I should've specified in the OP. I think Sci-Fi should stay away from this thread since it's a piece of crap genre.

You just made my list.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The original Omega Man, not the crappy Will Smith remake

Escape from New York was completely awesome, Escape from LA was a fun movie but not as awesome.

The Day after from the 80's, someone else here mentioned it, but people that weren't around when it was broadcast on T.V. forgot what an event it was. First and foremost the networks didn't run any advertising after the nuclear attack. The telephone system at the network was flooded with so many calls that nobody could get through. It wasn't complaint calls, it was people that were terrified by what they saw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

Quote:
Reaction
On its original broadcast (Sunday, November 20, 1983), ABC and local TV affiliates opened 1-800 hotlines with counselors standing by. There were no commercial breaks after the nuclear attack. ABC then aired a live debate, hosted by Nightline's Ted Koppel, featuring scientist Carl Sagan, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Elie Wiesel, former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, General Brent Scowcroft and conservative writer William F. Buckley, Jr.. Sagan argued against nuclear proliferation, while Buckley promoted the concept of nuclear deterrence. Sagan described the arms race in the following terms: "Imagine a room awash in gasoline, and there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine thousand matches, the other seven thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger."
One psychotherapist counseled viewers at Shawnee Mission East High School in the Kansas City suburbs and 1,000 others held candles at a peace vigil in Penn Valley Park. A discussion group called Let Lawrence Live was formed by the English department at the university and dozens from the Humanities department gathered on the Kansas campus in front of the Memorial Campanile and lit candles in a peace vigil. At Baker University, a private school in Baldwin City, Kansas, roughly 10 miles south of Lawrence, a number of students drove around the city, looking at sites depicted in the film as having been destroyed.
The children's entertainer Mr. Rogers also dedicated 4 episodes of his television program (entitled the "Conflict" series) to comfort and talk to young children who had seen the movie on television.
The film provoked much political debate.
Critics tended to claim the film was either sensationalizing nuclear war or that it was too tame.[4] The special effects and realistic portrayal of nuclear war received praise. The film received twelve Emmy nominations and won two Emmy awards.
Nearly 100 million Americans watched The Day After on its first broadcast, a record audience for a made-for-TV movie. Producers Sales Organization released the film theatrically around the world, in the Eastern Bloc, China, North Korea and Cuba (this international version contained six minutes of footage not in the telecast edition). Since commercials are not sold in these markets, Producers Sales Organization lost an undisclosed sum of money. Years later this international version was released to tape by Embassy Home Entertainment (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer now holds the video rights in the US).
Commentator Ben Stein, critical of the movie's message (i.e. that the strategy of Mutual Assured Destruction would lead to a war), wrote in the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner what life might be like in an America under Soviet occupation. (Stein's idea was eventually dramatized in the miniseries Amerika, also broadcast by ABC.)
The New York Post accused Meyer of being a traitor, writing, "Why is Nicholas Meyers doing Yuri Andropov's work for him?"[5] Phyllis Schlafly declared that "This film was made by people who want to disarm the country, and who are willing to make a $7 million contribution to that cause".[5] Much press comment focused on the unanswered question in the film of who started the war.[5]

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #58
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I Am Legend should've been so much better than it was. Great performance by Will Smith wasted by laughable CGI and a cop-out ending.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #59
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I second Dawn of the Dead original and re make, I loved them both. Also another good one was The Mist, didn't see it mentioned yet, however I didn't read every post.

Wanna fight about it?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #60
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Cap I had nightmares for a good 10 years after that movie about a nuclear bomb heading towards my school in Parkland. I even relived that same dream a few years back, amazing how much of an impact that movie had on me. Its timing and how much of an event it was in our culture really drove that fear home.

Tags
movies , post apocalyptic , television , zombies