Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #281
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So crazy for a team to go 10 years looking for a center to play with Iginla, then have two in 13 months.
Yes, and not to mention that Backlund finally broke out over the same time frame as well.

If Bennett can develop like he should, we are going to be stacked down the middle for quite some time.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #282
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
And that's exactly why sucking for a few years and drafting high is still the best strategy for building a winner. You can struggle for decades, trying to trade for one, or looking for the needle-in-a-haystack Getzlaf or Giroux later in the 1st round...but at the end of the day nothing comes close to just having high draft picks. There are no guarantees of course (and Bennett has yet to play an NHL game so we need to be cautious) but the formula for finding a #1 centre isn't necessarily complicated.
Maybe, kinda. Monahan was selected 6th overall, no guarantees there and even when we selected 4th overall most people thought that wasn't low enough and we should have tanked.

Flames did well for themselves, without becoming an embarrassment and tanking.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #283
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shore's going to end up being a key piece going forward. His style is a match made in heaven for the Flames.

As for the Horvat/Monahan debate, They're closer than I'd have imagined but Monahan wins 10 times out of ten.

And to be fair to that other forum, there was really only two or three Knuckleheads propping Horvat over Monahan, I think I read more Van fans saying Monahan and it wasn't even close more times than I read Horvat>Monahan.

And those few Van fans that carried on that way were chastised by other Van fans for even debating it.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #284
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Maybe, kinda. Monahan was selected 6th overall, no guarantees there and even when we selected 4th overall most people thought that wasn't low enough and we should have tanked.

Flames did well for themselves, without becoming an embarrassment and tanking.
All I'm saying is that getting high draft picks sure makes finding a #1 Centre easier. While we certainly "did well" with Monahan and Bennett, they both kind of fell into our lap, didn't they? It's going to be a lot harder to find that quality player this year now that we are most likely back in the teens.

The optics of sucking is a debate for the ages, but at the end of the day, there is still no better way to build a cup winner than through high draft picks. I'm pretty sure neither the Hawks nor the Kings feel embarrassed about how they went about winning their Cups...those teams don't win without Doughty/Kane/Toews no matter what anyone tries to say.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-07-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #285
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
All I'm saying is that getting high draft picks sure makes finding a #1 Centre easier. While we certainly "did well" with Monahan and Bennett, they both kind of fell into our lap, didn't they? It's going to be a lot harder to find that quality player this year now that we are most likely back in the teens.

The optics of sucking is a debate for the ages, but at the end of the day, there is still no better way to build a cup winner than through high draft picks. I'm pretty sure neither the Hawks nor the Kings feel embarrassed about how they went about winning their Cups...those teams don't win without Doughty/Kane/Toews no matter what anyone tries to say.
Agreed, and in both cases we were still kind of "lucky" to have them fall to us based on what teams above us did. Obviously only time will tel,if that's true, based on what they do and the other players picked in front do, especially with Bennett who has yet to prove anything at the NHL level, but those types of players really wouldn't have come close to being available picking outside the top 10.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #286
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We won't need to do that "well" those two will be the corner stones at center for the next 15 years. We hit a Homerun, and made lemonade out of the lemons that we were handed the last two years.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a decent supporting cast around them.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #287
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
We won't need to do that "well" those two will be the corner stones at center for the next 15 years. We hit a Homerun, and made lemonade out of the lemons that we were handed the last two years.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a decent supporting cast around them.
We've more or less already got it. We've got more players than we can handle at the moment and in another thread they're looking at signing a couple of prospects on AHL deals to NHL deals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #288
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamRyan View Post
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?!"
yaaaaa boooyyyyy!
The Following User Says Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #289
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
As I told my cat, we got 'em right where we want 'em.
This made my LOL probably more than it should have.

"Here we go, Mittens! We got 'em right where we want 'em. You can bet your furry little paws Flames are scratching out a win tonight and we'll be breaking out the catnip to celebrate!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #290
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
List of NHL centres with more goals this season than 20-year-old Monahan:

Stamkos
Pavelski
Tavares
Seguin
And people laughed when I said Monahan is going to score 50 at least once before his career is done.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #291
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
List of NHL centres with more goals this season than 20-year-old Monahan:

Stamkos
Pavelski
Tavares
Seguin
You're missing Malkin as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheerio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #292
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Right you are. So tied for 6th among centres.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #293
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

delete

Last edited by FlameFan21; 03-17-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #294
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hey I remember this game

Old 03-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #295
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see the Flames come roaring back and win this one. Glad the team never gave up and played for themselves. Bill Peters is certainly doing something right to never get the team to quit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread