Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #61
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I just made this for dinner tonight and it was unbelievably awesome.

Recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chicken-rice-soup
Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #62
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i tried a new chicken recipe tonight that i will definitely be doing again...

Baked Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic
Spoiler!

it was soooooo good!!! i also did some veggies and some rice (one thing i've been doing with rice for a bit is using the oxo soup stock cubes with the rice. tonight i used 1 chicken cube and one veggie cube with 3 cups of rice and about 7 cups of water... dissolve the cubes in some of the water first, then add water to the rice in the rice cooker. the added flavour is awesome!)
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #63
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...rt-ribs-235923

Hope my link works.

I just figured that I've got a bunch of time on my hands and I do enjoy cooking a fair amount. But I do generally make the same things over and over. With all this extra time to cook I'd like to Branch out. Heck maybe even try my hand at some baking which has always turned out disastrous for me.

I'm a big fan of beef short ribs and I really do enjoy the above recipe, it's awesome on a cool day for sure.

If anybody has any good baking/cooking recipes throw em below...uh maybe an awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe because I might be stoned and craving dang chocolate chip cookies
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #64
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post

Hope my link works.

I just figured that I've got a bunch of time on my hands and I do enjoy cooking a fair amount. But I do generally make the same things over and over. With all this extra time to cook I'd like to Branch out. Heck maybe even try my hand at some baking which has always turned out disastrous for me.

I'm a big fan of beef short ribs and I really do enjoy the above recipe, it's awesome on a cool day for sure.

If anybody has any good baking/cooking recipes throw em below...uh maybe an awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe because I might be stoned and craving dang chocolate chip cookies
Oh man, do i have the chocolate chip recipe for you!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...62ba0c85afb83a

Also, they are great if you substitute the regular butter with weed butter.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #65
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Oh man, do i have the chocolate chip recipe for you!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...62ba0c85afb83a

Also, they are great if you substitute the regular butter with weed butter.
Oh that does look awesome. I'll give em a go!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #66
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh that does look awesome. I'll give em a go!
the kosher salt is so key.

you get a little sodium burst periodically that makes the rest of the flavours pop.

My wife has been testing chocolate chip recipes on me for a decade and this is the one we've settled on.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #67
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
the kosher salt is so key.

you get a little sodium burst periodically that makes the rest of the flavours pop.

My wife has been testing chocolate chip recipes on me for a decade and this is the one we've settled on.
Hmm ok seems I'll have to order that Kosher salt then.

Last time a baked something well let's just skip that story and we will just run with it did not turn out very well.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #68
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should a chocolate chip cookie not have some sort of flour? That just sounds like baked chocolate, butter and sugar. Which, don't get me wrong, sounds amazing, but society has rules god dammit.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Should a chocolate chip cookie not have some sort of flour? That just sounds like baked chocolate, butter and sugar. Which, don't get me wrong, sounds amazing, but society has rules god dammit.
The comments point to that as well...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #70
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you read the part of how to prepare it they do mention sifting the flour and baking soda together. It's just not on the ingredient list.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #71
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Society has rules god dammit!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #72
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
you're correct, my wife has informed me that this is the wrong thomas keller recipe.

the first line of the recipe has been cut off on this epicurious recipe

Here is the full recipe she uses:

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 5 ounces 55 percent chocolate, cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 5 ounces 70 to 72 percent chocolate, cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar, preferably molasses sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs

Directions:
  1. Position the oven racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
  2. Sift the flour and baking soda into a medium bowl. Stir in the salt.
  3. Put the chips in a fine-mesh basket strainer and shake to remove any chocolate “dust” (small fragments).
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat, half the butter on medium speed until fairly smooth. Add both sugars and the remaining butter, and beat until well combined, then beat for a few minutes, until the mixture is light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until the first one is incorporated before adding the next and scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine. Mix in the chocolate.
  5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold the dough with a spatula to be sure that the chocolate is evenly incorporated. The dough or shaped cookies can be refrigerated, well wrapped, for up to five days or frozen for up to two weeks. Freeze shaped cookies on the baking sheets until firm, then transfer to freezer containers. Defrost frozen cookies overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
  6. Using about two level tablespoons per cookie, shape dough into balls. Arrange eight cookies on each pan, leaving about two inches between them, because the dough will spread.
  7. Bake for twelve minutes, or until the tops are no longer shiny, switching the position and rotating pans halfway through baking.
  8. Cool cookies on the pans on cooling racks for about two minutes to firm them up a bit, then transfer to the racks to cool completely. Repeat with second batch of cookies. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #73
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Without rules we are no better than those damn dirty apes!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #74
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
you're correct, my wife has informed me that this is the wrong thomas keller recipe.

the first line of the recipe has been cut off on this epicurious recipe

Here is the full recipe she uses:

Ingredients:

• 2 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 5 ounces 55 percent chocolate, cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 5 ounces 70 to 72 percent chocolate, cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar, preferably molasses sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs

Directions:

1. Position the oven racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
  2. Sift the flour and baking soda into a medium bowl. Stir in the salt.
  3. Put the chips in a fine-mesh basket strainer and shake to remove any chocolate “dust” (small fragments).

4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat, half the butter on medium speed until fairly smooth. Add both sugars and the remaining butter, and beat until well combined, then beat for a few minutes, until the mixture is light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until the first one is incorporated before adding the next and scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine. Mix in the chocolate.

5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold the dough with a spatula to be sure that the chocolate is evenly incorporated. The dough or shaped cookies can be refrigerated, well wrapped, for up to five days or frozen for up to two weeks. Freeze shaped cookies on the baking sheets until firm, then transfer to freezer containers. Defrost frozen cookies overnight in the refrigerator before baking.

6. Using about two level tablespoons per cookie, shape dough into balls. Arrange eight cookies on each pan, leaving about two inches between them, because the dough will spread.

7. Bake for twelve minutes, or until the tops are no longer shiny, switching the position and rotating pans halfway through baking.

8. Cool cookies on the pans on cooling racks for about two minutes to firm them up a bit, then transfer to the racks to cool completely. Repeat with second batch of cookies. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.
Thanks! Can't wait to give it a try!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #75
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Society has rules god dammit!
This isnt nam, smokey, there are rules
Old 03-26-2020, 12:02 AM   #76
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hope my link works.

this is the chocolate chip cookie recipe my kids LOVE.... **bake time will be determined by your oven, but 8 minutes works well for mine.

Spoiler!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #77
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I just made this for dinner tonight and it was unbelievably awesome.
BA completely knocks it out of the park. I love that channel.

This one is a weekly go to for me:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pasta-al-limone

DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 AM   #78
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

here are a few more i've made over the last while that are hits....

chicken parmesan
Spoiler!

fish tacos
Spoiler!

we love making home made pizzas. we get pizza shells from superstore and i make my own pizza sauce and then go nuts with the toppings

so home made pizza sauce:

Spoiler!

philly cheese steak pizza
Spoiler!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:12 AM   #79
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a recipe, but really recommend trying reverse sear on thicker steaks.
Season with salt & pepper.
Bake at 200F on rack in oven until internal temp of 125F (for medium rare) - may take up to an hour.
Heat a bit of canola oil to smoke point and sear 1 minute each side(adding some butter, garlic, herbs) and start basting on flip. Turn on sides to render fat.

Steak is perfectly cooked from outer edge to middle. Super easy.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #80
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beef Bourguignon is my go to.

1.5Kg stewing beef cubes tossed in flour, salt and pepper, a jar of pickled onions, a lb of mushrooms, a carrot, some parsley and about 1/2 lb of bacon, preferably uncut so you can cube it.

Cook bacon in a cast iron dutch oven until brown - I use a Lodge, they're good. Remove bacon, but leave the heat on, and cook the beef cubes in the fat until browned. Take those out too, put in the carrots and onions and brown them along with a few sliced up cloves of garlic.

Add back in the meat, add 3 cups beef stock, 3 cups wine, 1 tbsp tomato paste, some oregano or thyme, and a couple of bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then remove from stove and put in the oven for 3 hours at 325. Take the top off, stir, then put it back in for another hour or until it's thick.

When it's almost done, cut the mushrooms up, sautee them in butter, chop the parsley up, and then when the beef is finished, stir in the mushrooms and parsley.

Le voila. Serve with mashed potatoes. It's delicious and really hard to screw up.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slaving over a hot stove , tasty treats