Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #21
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I did it.

I can get up to an A with semi-regularity. Hit a A# too (it died quickly)! For those curious the A is in Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know".

Still going to keep pushing myself to try and get to C even though I know it's probably impossible.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #22
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be like Robert Plant and just kinda shout and snarl your way into it.
An interesting DVD is the Zen of Screaming. Not that you want to do that style, it's just that the breathing and muscle control is useful. Plus it's fun to watch the general craziness of the instructor.

And yeah don't get hung up on range. I gave up on bel canto when I was young because I'd never be a lyric soprano and get the cool parts. Sometimes your voice changes more than you might think as you get older. I was told by my original instructor that I was a mezzo, a few years later another said, no, that's crazy, that I was capable of higher stuff if I changed my technique and mindset. Also I was older. The second instructor was correxct, but I was way too old realistically to pursue a classical career .

As you already know,many of the most famous singers are known more for phrasing than range. Steve Perry has a good range, but it's his style that got him where he is. Same with the legends like Sinatra, Billie Holiday...The idea is to get to the emotion in the music, not to make it n athletic event or whatever.

Set Your Voice Free (or is it Setting? ) by Roger Love is a good read and it has an instructional disc.
What he says about Whitney Houston is interesting, as it's what I often thought myself.

Last edited by missdpuck; 02-06-2013 at 04:51 AM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote