Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:
Default Best Place to purchase BBQ?

I was looking at repairing our 8 year old BBQ, putting a new burner and valves on it, and replacing some of the other parts. However, it seems like the cost of all the parts would be nearly as much as a whole new grill.

I wouid be looking for something in the $200-$300 dollar range, and not too big, as our deck of the side of the house doesn't have room for a big grill.

We have been using propane up until now, however, there is a natural gas outlet in my back yard, and I could use it, except I'd have to get 30' of hose to reach the place on the deck where I want the grill to be. Is it worth it going to NG?

Is it best to go to a place like home depot, or is it best to go to a BBQ specific place, or should I just go to Superstore?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I should say I live in the NE.

I was at Barbeques Galore earlier today, and saw what they had, but I was just wondering where people recommend to go to get the best deals.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would definitely go NG, it doesn't dry the food out as much, and it's so much more convenient. Nothing was more annoying than half cooked food and the propane bottle runs out.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I would definitely go NG, it doesn't dry the food out as much, and it's so much more convenient. Nothing was more annoying than half cooked food and the propane bottle runs out.
Anyone know how much a 30' NG hose would be?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be $100-150..

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...partial&s=true
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

If that's the case, NG would be ruled out.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give these guys a call on Monday
http://www.fairviewfittings.com/products3.html?id=474

They don't list the prices on their website. I bought a couple of regulators there about a year ago, can't remember how much they were but I remember they were a lot cheaper than I was expecting to pay.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Get a big green egg.
I went with a big steel keg instead and its awesome! Cheaper, more efficient and comes with a few things included. I always wanted the BGE but haven't regretted the Keg for a split second!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I went with a big steel keg instead and its awesome!
Where did you get your big steel keg?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for NG.

I picked mine up at Home Depot. No problems with it
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Where did you get your big steel keg?
Barbecues Galore. I guess its now the Broil King Keg.

Its seriously awesome though! I got it in January for a birthday gift and I've used it a ton. I love charcoal for BBQ and this uses way less. I have cooked at about 650-700 degrees and the outside near the gasket is a little bit past lukewarm.

If you're debating a BGE I could go into way more detail if you want, but I don't want to derail this thread too far for people that just want a quick gasser.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The neighbor who doesn't have it chained down.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ukrainian Tire
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't want to derail the thread but that Broil King Keg looks pretty stellar. A thousand bucks, though? I'd like to hear more about it.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The guy who reviews all the bbq's on about.com really likes this one:

The Broil King Monarch 40

http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrillrevi...apr042506c.htm

It's Fugly, but it has the same internals as the expensive broil king grills.

BBQ's galore has it for $320... not sure if it is cheaper anywhere else.
http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=2
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Don't want to derail the thread but that Broil King Keg looks pretty stellar. A thousand bucks, though? I'd like to hear more about it.
Well truthfully its a pretty sweet BBQ, if you really like BBQing. By that I don't mean that once a week you throw a steak or some chicken on (you can do that to though). Its a kamodo cooker, and keeps a constant temperature very well. It uses way less charcoal than other charcoal BBQs because its a double insulated unit. The advantage here is for longer cooks; I cooked a brisket about a month ago for about 16-18hrs and got a full nights sleep anyway. Doing that on my other BBQ (its a Char-Griller, in case anyone else cares!) would mean me getting up at least once or twice through the night.

I've also cooked pizza, both thin crust and deep dish on it. I have cooked a lot on my other BBQ as well, but that deep dish might be one of the greatest pizzas I've ever had! I partly wish I had shared it with someone to vindicate that claim, but because it was so delicious I'm glad I didn't. Anyway, you can do dishes like that because it maintains the heat so well.

I've also found that because it seals so well that the meats are juicier and at the same time its faster to cook with than other BBQs.

I do note a few drawbacks though, and it wouldn't be fair to not mention them. First its not as big as my other BBQ. I am a bit spoiled in that respect, because that one has 1000 square inches, so maybe no one else would feel that way. Second, I wish the charcoal access wasn't only under the grate. Thats not a huge deal (because it burns so much less) but its a small drawback nonetheless.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it if you are in the market. Charcoal in general is the way to go IMO. The flavours are so much better and really thats what its all about!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Charcoal in general is the way to go IMO. The flavours are so much better and really thats what its all about!
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saskflames69 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Well truthfully its a pretty sweet BBQ, if you really like BBQing. By that I don't mean that once a week you throw a steak or some chicken on (you can do that to though). Its a kamodo cooker, and keeps a constant temperature very well. It uses way less charcoal than other charcoal BBQs because its a double insulated unit. The advantage here is for longer cooks; I cooked a brisket about a month ago for about 16-18hrs and got a full nights sleep anyway. Doing that on my other BBQ (its a Char-Griller, in case anyone else cares!) would mean me getting up at least once or twice through the night.

I've also cooked pizza, both thin crust and deep dish on it. I have cooked a lot on my other BBQ as well, but that deep dish might be one of the greatest pizzas I've ever had! I partly wish I had shared it with someone to vindicate that claim, but because it was so delicious I'm glad I didn't. Anyway, you can do dishes like that because it maintains the heat so well.

I've also found that because it seals so well that the meats are juicier and at the same time its faster to cook with than other BBQs.

I do note a few drawbacks though, and it wouldn't be fair to not mention them. First its not as big as my other BBQ. I am a bit spoiled in that respect, because that one has 1000 square inches, so maybe no one else would feel that way. Second, I wish the charcoal access wasn't only under the grate. Thats not a huge deal (because it burns so much less) but its a small drawback nonetheless.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it if you are in the market. Charcoal in general is the way to go IMO. The flavours are so much better and really thats what its all about!
Ok, where can I get one for less than $300, other than borrowing yours for an "extended period of time?"
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #19
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bargain finder/kijiji..etc.

People hate moving such items, I bought a new BQ 4 years ago for $1100.00 and loved it until a buddy got one simular(actually nicer) for $350.00 slightly used.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Ok, where can I get one for less than $300, other than borrowing yours for an "extended period of time?"
Sorry for the complete derailing here. You can probably buy a charcoal grill for less than $300, but the Steel Keg is unlikely. If you see one though, snap it up!

Tags
burgers , chicken , ribs , sausage , steak