Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2023, 12:35 AM   #221
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Wow! I can't imagine how hard it'd be going through something like that.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:37 AM   #222
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a lot for a 22 year old that probably just wants to live a normal, average life to be thrusted into. I can't imagine.

The silver lining in this is hopefully the awareness this incident and her story will generate.

Just another thought a trillion times more worth discussing than people's reactions to the story.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:16 AM   #223
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carson is lucky he didn’t get his ass kicked at the bar.

But I’m thinking after the security video goes viral along with the girl’s interview he’ll probably get what’s coming to him.

Hopefully he learns a lesson. It would probably be smart for him to sincerely apologize. What an idiot.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:32 AM   #224
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'd love to see the Venn Diagram of folks who are defending Briere and those who defended Elon's handling of the disabled employee in Iceland.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:16 AM   #225
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The security guy made them apologize. "It wasn't very sincere" kind of says it all. He'll try and act like he is remorseful now but that's only because it's gone viral.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 08:17 AM   #226
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I'd love to see the Venn Diagram of folks who are defending Briere and those who defended Elon's handling of the disabled employee in Iceland.
I don't think a single person has defended the action, just the motive and/or intent.

Did he think "I hate people in wheelchairs. I am going to destroy this wheelchair to express my hate and hope the person who is using this continues their suffering"

OR

"Dude, what if we ride this wheelchair down the stairs. HAH man that would be funny. Nah man you'll get hurt, lets push it down it will be funny to see it go flying down the stairs "

I think (hope) everyone agreed with the fact that pushing anyone's wheelchair - Whether the bars or a patrons - Is completely ignorant, criminal (destruction of property), and idiotic. I didn't see any posts claiming otherwise.

However, pointing out that being a drunk, young, immature person who made an idiotic decision doesn't necessarily make him the seconds coming of Hitler isn't justifying the action.

There will rightfully be repercussions to his actions and hopefully this is a learning moment for him, assuming he isn't actually just a scumbag human. (Which he could easily be, I have no clue how he lives the rest of his life and what goes on in his head)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 08:19 AM   #227
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
The security guy made them apologize. "It wasn't very sincere" kind of says it all. He'll try and act like he is remorseful now but that's only because it's gone viral.
I'm sure he is sorry he got caught......

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:35 AM   #228
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Did he think "I hate people in wheelchairs. I am going to destroy this wheelchair to express my hate and hope the person who is using this continues their suffering"

However, pointing out that being a drunk, young, immature person who made an idiotic decision doesn't necessarily make him the seconds coming of Hitler isn't justifying the action.
Except that’s pointless, because absolutely nobody accused him of being Hitler nor did anybody link their judgement of him and his actions to the idea that he hated disabled people.

At best, people have been contrarians for no other reason but to ensure his actions are excused as stupidity. At worst, people have brushed it off as no big deal and claimed the person who owned the wheelchair won the jackpot.

To say that none of those things act as a defence of Briere or his actions is false, plain and simple. Saying that they aren’t really a defence because they aren’t defending him against allegations that nobody made in the first place makes very little sense at all.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #229
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
The tweet comments bruv...the tweet.

https://twitter.com/juliazukowski/st...040130048?s=20
Some tweets on a cesspool platform are going to be extreme? For someone who seems to think its silly to discuss the "obvious" over and over, this is hilarious idiocy on your part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I don't really understand what the value is in discussing things where everyone is broad agreement. It is just to all make sure we're on the same page with regards to what's deplorable behavior and what's not? Or is to signal who's virtuous and who's not?

Seriously...how cynical do you have to be to think that 99% of people aren't good people who aren't going to be like "yeah that was a stupid, mean-spirited, thoughtless, inconsiderate thing to do"? And if literally everyone thinks that, wtf is point of discussing it?

In contrast, there's ample reason to discuss areas where people actually disagree.
Whether we had moronic takes from bruvs like you in this thread or not, I suspect we still would have heard thoughtful perspectives from posters with relevant personal experiences - from which I certainly derived real value and really appreciate.

If you think something is a silly circle jerk of agreement, why don't you just #### off and leave it alone? What do you think you're accomplishing here?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #230
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get people saying Briere is "young" and "kids will be kids".

Just because he's younger than you doesn't make him young. He'll be 24yo in a few months ffs, that's not "young and dumb". Its just plain dumb.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 11:00 AM   #231
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Benes
I can use it to show people what we go through, what we have to deal with, and how we wish to be treated, she said. We are treated like things, like second class citizens, we’re not treated with respect.
100%, from being referred to as "you people" in conversation, to being told to move at a pub because "You're a fire hazard..." I have been disrespected solely because I use a wheelchair. I am fortunate I can defend myself and I have the expertise to educate people when they mess up, others don't. Persons with disabilities ruminate on their experiences, they become reclusive... they die alone alienated by their communities.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #232
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked her closing in that interview. Qualified the actions as 'despicable'. That held alot more weight than the statements from danny or carson
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #233
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think a single person has defended the action, just the motive and/or intent.

OR

"Dude, what if we ride this wheelchair down the stairs. HAH man that would be funny. Nah man you'll get hurt, lets push it down it will be funny to see it go flying down the stairs "

I think (hope) everyone agreed with the fact that pushing anyone's wheelchair - Whether the bars or a patrons - Is completely ignorant, criminal (destruction of property), and idiotic. I didn't see any posts claiming otherwise.

There will rightfully be repercussions to his actions and hopefully this is a learning moment for him, assuming he isn't actually just a scumbag human. (Which he could easily be, I have no clue how he lives the rest of his life and what goes on in his head)
Wait, no idea? This guy has already managed to get kicked out of another University before this "Haha, #### your wheelchair" incident correct?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:26 AM   #234
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Hitler didn't operate alone. He had thousands do his bidding. Today we have leaders who mock the disabled.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #235
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

I imagine this would be going very differently if he had simply provided a sincere apology at the time.

If he stayed for a minute, let her know he was sorry and allowed her the opportunity to explain why what he did was so hurtful I'm guessing she would be telling people to cool it and allow him to learn from his mistake. The issue would then be more about how our society treats people who have differing abilities, and less about him being a jerk.

I can understand why someone could see a wheel chair and as a drunken mistake push it down the stairs like an idiot. Because I can believe he wouldn't associate the wheel chair with a real person that he was hurting. But to look her in the face and not be able to come up with a sincere apology. That's hard for me to understand.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #236
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:

I made the mistake of looking at replies to the original story, and it struck me there was definitely a vibe of the same weird nerds who defend Elon, that are trying to deflect from Briere.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #237
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

"There. I said I was sorry. Why am I getting kicked out? I want to stay and party with my buddies."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #238
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As a tangent to this story, back in 2004-08 I worked for the Calgary HandiBus Association as a driver, and one night I was taking this young woman to a pub in Kensington that was going to have live music by a local band that she really wanted to see. When we got there, it was about 5 steps up, and the lift in the back wasn't working, so she'd have to just hang around outside in the cold until her scheduled pick up time, or until another bus could come get her. Well, there were a bunch of guys that just happened to be hanging around outside, one might have ben having a cigarette or something. They offered to pick her up up, chair and all, and take her inside. This wasn't a small chair, either, it was one of those powered MFers and heavy as heavy. Took 4 of them, but they did it.

A little after midnight and near the end of my shift I get a radio call to go pick her up, 'cause the bus that was supposed to pick her up hours before broke down. I figured she'd have been taken downstairs by now, and was probably outside freezing. When I got there, no one was outside and the place looked mostly empty. She was waiting inside, and I started to panic, thinking there'd be no way to get her down the stairs. The guys had stayed there with her until her ride showed up. They were all in that 20-24 age range. There's decent people out there, thankfully, which just makes the DB in question look worse. But man, some of the stories you hear about what folks who use wheelchairs have to put up with just to do the basics that able bodied folk take for granted.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:14 PM   #239
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
As a tangent to this story, back in 2004-08 I worked for the Calgary HandiBus Association as a driver, and one night I was taking this young woman to a pub in Kensington that was going to have live music by a local band that she really wanted to see. When we got there, it was about 5 steps up, and the lift in the back wasn't working, so she'd have to just hang around outside in the cold until her scheduled pick up time, or until another bus could come get her. Well, there were a bunch of guys that just happened to be hanging around outside, one might have ben having a cigarette or something. They offered to pick her up up, chair and all, and take her inside. This wasn't a small chair, either, it was one of those powered MFers and heavy as heavy. Took 4 of them, but they did it.

A little after midnight and near the end of my shift I get a radio call to go pick her up, 'cause the bus that was supposed to pick her up hours before broke down. I figured she'd have been taken downstairs by now, and was probably outside freezing. When I got there, no one was outside and the place looked mostly empty. She was waiting inside, and I started to panic, thinking there'd be no way to get her down the stairs. The guys had stayed there with her until her ride showed up. They were all in that 20-24 age range. There's decent people out there, thankfully, which just makes the DB in question look worse. But man, some of the stories you hear about what folks who use wheelchairs have to put up with just to do the basics that able bodied folk take for granted.
I work with some of the largest developers in this country, and many of them are 100% committed to creating the most accessible built environment possible. They make this commitment without fanfare and without signalling their virtue, they just do it. And what I have found is that no one would know, the spaces just work. There are some great things happening and thank you Alpha Q for your work with HandiBus and for pointing out that there are lots of good out there.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 03-17-2023 at 01:38 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #240
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post

This story made me extremely happy. Knowing that humanity still exist! Good on those guys!

Tags
flyers news