Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #821
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

lol and the Canucks with how much in cap space?

Last edited by Toonage; 08-22-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #822
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/report-vancouver-...deal-1.1354385

If it’s true that Boeser is ‘eyeing’ a 4x7mil deal, that’s actually not too bad. The deals always end up less than the players want. Still an RFA at the end i believe (correct me if I’m wrong!)
He is 3 years in already, wouldn't a 4 year deal bring him right to UFA status?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #823
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That was exactly my thought too... maybe we're off on that?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #824
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/report-vancouver-...deal-1.1354385

If it’s true that Boeser is ‘eyeing’ a 4x7mil deal, that’s actually not too bad. The deals always end up less than the players want. Still an RFA at the end i believe (correct me if I’m wrong!)
I don't think Boeser is worth as much dollar wise as the other RFA's.

Getting $7M until he becomes a UFA at the perfect age for him would be a great deal for him.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #825
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, he signed in late March, 2017 and was not on the Canucks' roster for the minimum of 40 games required for it to count as an accrued season for UFA purposes.

If he signs for 4 years, he'll still have one year of RFA status at the end.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #826
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would a 1-year deal be so bad at this point? It'll save us some money, and allow us to extend Tkachuk until he's 30. I don't know if he's going to have tremendous longevity, I can see a Perry-like decline. But I want all of his 20s and I'll gladly pay $10M a year for it if he has another monster season.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #827
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Would a 1-year deal be so bad at this point? It'll save us some money, and allow us to extend Tkachuk until he's 30. I don't know if he's going to have tremendous longevity, I can see a Perry-like decline. But I want all of his 20s and I'll gladly pay $10M a year for it if he has another monster season.
I think it just comes down to two parties needing to agree on a contract. He might get injured next year, and there’s a decent chance he doesn’t put up the same numbers. What is in it for him
Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #828
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The guy is a 6’2”, 200lbs, 21-year-old power forward, with three full seasons of NHL experience and is already widely regarded as one of the top wingers in the game. He’s fresh off a 30+ goal, 70+ point season and was a 6th-overall draft pick who was raised to be a professional hockey player by his Hall of Fame father.

There is literally nothing but upside with this kid, and every single hockey mind around the league sees it too. He’s an early favourite to be the next Captain of this team and face of this franchise, in much the same way that Iginla and Giordano was before him.

He’s played nothing but hard minutes along side our #1 shutdown center since day one, and he’s chewed up every one of those minutes while still posting offensive numbers that 600 other current NHL players can only dream of producing.

Just pay the guy his market value and put the focus back on the ice where it belongs.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #829
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It might not save any money. I would expect that Tkachuk wants the same AAV regardless of the years, other than any contract that takes him past UFA will need a huge premium, not because they are UFA years, but because it delays him negotiating the 8 year contract to a time where he is older and doesn't have the same leverage.

That's the new expectation of premium RFA's.

Whether they get it remains to be seen. But Matthews and Aho got it.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #830
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The guy is a 6’2”, 200lbs, 21-year-old power forward, with three full seasons of NHL experience and is already widely regarded as one of the top wingers in the game. He’s fresh off a 30+ goal, 70+ point season and was a 6th-overall draft pick who was raised to be a professional hockey player by his Hall of Fame father.

There is literally nothing but upside with this kid, and every single hockey mind around the league sees it too. He’s an early favourite to be the next Captain of this team and face of this franchise, in much the same way that Iginla and Giordano was before him.

He’s played nothing but hard minutes along side our #1 shutdown center since day one, and he’s chewed up every one of those minutes while still posting offensive numbers that 600 other current NHL players can only dream of producing.

Just pay the guy his market value and put the focus back on the ice where it belongs.
I'm not arguing that and I doubt Treliving is either, but what is "Market Value" right now?

Also, you can't let a player/agent dictate "market value". Who of us knows how much Tkachuk and his agent are asking for?

Not as simple as you make it sound, otherwise it would be done by now.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 08-23-2019 at 07:04 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #831
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah but he’s 6’1 200lbs
Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #832
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

200lbs seems like a stretch as well.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #833
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
200lbs seems like a stretch as well.
Well, he's genetically prone to weigh a lot.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #834
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I'm not arguing that and I doubt Treliving is either, but what is "Market Value" right now?

Also, you can't let a player/agent dictate "market value". Who of us knows how much Tkachuk and his agent are asking for?

Not as simple as you make it sound, otherwise it would be done by now.
Yeah, "market value" is willing seller and willing buyer. Any appraisal of market value in, say, real estate, uses comparables. That's the hold-up at the moment. The comparables Treliving likes are a little older, the ones Tkachuk wants to use may not even have signed yet.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #835
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t really know what market value means in an RFA context
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #836
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, "market value" is willing seller and willing buyer. Any appraisal of market value in, say, real estate, uses comparables. That's the hold-up at the moment. The comparables Treliving likes are a little older, the ones Tkachuk wants to use may not even have signed yet.
Meier 4x6 RFA at the end of his contract for 1 more season.

35 goals 81 pts in 98 NHL games 4th in his teams scoring in reg season 5th in +/- on team regular season

Tkachuk

36 goals 80 pts in 85 NHL games 4th in reg season team scoring 11th in +/-

They are the same size and both play with an edge.

A precedent has been set for a really really close comparable player. Tkachuk had a better regular season and Meier stepped up in the playoffs.

The only way that Tkachuk gets a significantly better contract than that is if gets an offer sheet like Aho.

4 x 6.2 ???
Old 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #837
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default The Matthew Tkachuk contract negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The only way that Tkachuk gets a significantly better contract than that is if gets an offer sheet like Aho.

4 x 6.2 ???
Hahaha! No.

The Flames will not sign a deal that takes Tkachuk straight to UFA without buying at least one UFA year. That is the underlying rationale behind Meier’s deal; Tkachuk will most definitely get more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #838
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

As many have already pointed out, determining market value is not as easy as you suggest. Letting the player/agent dictate it would not result in 'market value' it would result in ridiculous and uncontrolled inflation for the highest paid players.

More importantly, taking such a laissez faire attitude towards the largest contracts on the payroll will quickly put a team in a situation where they can't fill out the roster efficiently.

There is a finite pie from which the GM must pay all the players. Allowing the first ones to the table to take as large a slice as they like, will see the pie evaporate long before the other kids have gotten fed.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #839
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The way it might have to work for Calgary is by giving him the Timo Meier styled contract where the Flames gamble on Tkachuk going to 1 year from UFA with a 10m qualifying offer.

That effing blows from flames management perspective though.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #840
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The way it might have to work for Calgary is by giving him the Timo Meier styled contract where the Flames gamble on Tkachuk going to 1 year from UFA with a 10m qualifying offer.

That effing blows from flames management perspective though.
Then why do it?
Closed Thread