Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Arranging a showing without a realtor

Okay so here's the situation. A unit went up for sale in my building yesterday and out of curiosity I took a look at the listing. It looks like something I might want to purchase, where I can then rent out my current unit. Got my fiancée on board, and the mortgage calculations seem to work out at first glance.

Before I approach the bank for financing and talk to a realtor and all that, I'd like to have a quick viewing of the place. The reasoning is that I don't want to jump through all the hoops before viewing the unit only to end up checking it out and deciding it's not for me.

Is this something that is typically done? Or would I have to approach a bank to get financing approval, then go talk to a realtor, then have the realtor approach the selling realtor to arrange the viewing?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Realtors are a pain in the ass, but unfortunately in this situation you cannot circumnavigate one. I guess you could knock on the door?

There should be no hoops to clear if you just want to view so call the realtor.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you live in the same building, just go knock?

They might be okay with giving you a quick look.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

why not just call the selling realtor and ask them to allow you to view it. Just tell them up front you don't have a realtor yet but want to view the property.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I normally do is call the listing Realtor and have them show me the property. If the property is worth going forward with I then get my Realtor (Realtor1) involved for a second showing. Now I do this mostly to not waste Realtor1's time since I don't really care about the listing Realtors time since that is their job! They will give you a hard sales pitch though so just make up an excuse that your realtor is on vacation
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The condo is empty, so no one will answer the knock. I e-mailed the selling realtor last night to ask for a showing but have not heard back yet. Still early though.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
What I normally do is call the listing Realtor and have them show me the property. If the property is worth going forward with I then get my Realtor (Realtor1) involved for a second showing. Now I do this mostly to not waste Realtor1's time since I don't really care about the listing Realtors time since that is their job! They will give you a hard sales pitch though so just make up an excuse that your realtor is on vacation
I thought about doing this same thing (also using Realtor1) however I like having Travis there during the initial showing as it allows us to critique the property and get his feedback immediately.

Travis has been great even though we have pigeonholed an area and are only viewing specific homes.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The first time I met Travis was also to view a property in my neighbourhood. It was also a curiosity thing, and turned out to not be a good property. However that started some communication between Travis and myself, and ended up using him for my latest sale and purchase.

I can see the realtor possibly not wanting to be eager to show the property to somebody who (in my own words here), isn't serious enough about buying to even have a realtor yet. However a fellow realtor he'd be able to arrange a showing.

Also keep in mind that if you use your own realtor, the selling realtor does not need to come down to show the property. They just give the lock box code to your realtor, and that's it. So you are asking the selling realtor to spend his time to show you the place, when that is the buying realtor's job.

tl;dr - call Travis.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So you are asking the selling realtor to spend his time to show you the place, when that is the buying realtor's job.
To be fair the sellers realtor's job is to sell the property. Most don't even do open houses anymore so to make them go to the property to show it and give you a nice pitch about how great the property is IMO part of their job description.

Plus it could help build a relationship. If the realtor provides great service having a quick friendly showing and then I go home and can't get a hold of my realtor or they let me down in anyway that listing realtor would be first on my call list since I had the most recent pleasant experience with them.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
For the record, I have never asked that it be done this way lol.

Keep in mind, that seller signed a listing agreement where they have agreed to pay whatever the commission is. There is a good chance the listing realtor gets paid on both ends of the deal anyway and you just missed out on the opportunity to have a professional in your corner.

My clients from CP can vouch for the fact that I am very blunt with my analysis when viewing properties. I don't sugar coat anything and one might be surprised at what I have to say about specific properties. I have no problem giving my opinion , even if it is negative. You are working with me to hear my opinion as I view dozens of properties weekly. I know what you want and can tell you if there are better options available.

I just finished working with a gal who thought we found the perfect place. I had a candid discussion with her that although it was the best available option at the time, I know of certain floor plans in the area that are much more suited for her. At the end of the day, we found her something that crossed off more of her wish list.

Same goes for condos. One of the most valuable tools a realtor can have is to understand the makeup of a condo and know the ins on different buildings. It is quite frequent a client will send me a list of condos and we end up eliminating half of them without having to see them in person.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Travis may have a new client

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair the sellers realtor's job is to sell the property. Most don't even do open houses anymore so to make them go to the property to show it and give you a nice pitch about how great the property is IMO part of their job description.
I disagree to a certain extent with the first sentence; at least in the context that you use it. You are referring to something similar to retail, where the salesperson's job is to sell the property. Things that Travis did for me when I was selling:
- Met with me to discuss out sales strategy.
- Went through the house with me and gave me a list of things to do. Categorized them into must do, should do, and also told me the things that I was thinking of that he said were a waste of time.
- He went through the market thoroughly to make sure the price was right, and that our marketing strategy was sound.
- Hired professionals for photographs and measurements.
- He also has some listing strategies that were brilliant.

End result, my house sold in 3 days for $5K over list, and $15K above what we had originally planned on listing it for. My next door neighbour sold at the same time as me. Their house was 100 sq feet bigger and had a full basement development. They sold in 6 weeks for $30K below their original list price, $25K below what mine sold for.

However I'm sure their realtor was there for more of the showings.

That all being said, when buying my new place, Travis has been with me any time I needed him. It is a new build so there wasn't quite as much as with buying used, however there were a few key points. Like he said, after talking with me he knew exactly what I was looking for. In this case with the showhome we did have the equivalent to a retail commission salesperson, but with having my own realtor I had somebody with my interests a heart. There was one thing that I was almost ready to concede on, but Travis knew how important it was to me. He got it pushed through. And looking back I would have been kicking myself for as long as I lived in the house.

tl;dr- IMHO selling realtor is there to represent the seller. Get yourself a good realtor to represent you. And a good realtor will not make you sign any commitment to show you a property.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I disagree to a certain extent with the first sentence; at least in the context that you use it. You are referring to something similar to retail, where the salesperson's job is to sell the property.
I am not arguing that in your case Travis didn't put together a strong plan together to sell your property (he did the same selling my home).

My expectations are that the professionals I hire are going to do everything they possibly can to close a sale with my best interest in mind (Realtor, Mortgage Broker, Lawyer). If I am forking out thousands of dollars I want to ensure I have the best support team around me. I know my clients pay me to ensure that I do everything in my power to close my deals. I am absolutely hiring a realtor to sell my property and I choose the one I work with because I am confident in his/her strategy and work ethic in getting the deal closed.

If a buyer calls your realtor and says I am interested in your property can I come see it? You would rather your realtor say "go find your own realtor that isn't my job" rather than "absolutely meet me there this evening and I will show you around".

Humans are fragile creatures if they were told "no" and "go find their own realtor" your property may now have a bad experience attached to it and if/when they finally do go look at it that experience could ruin the sale.

Last edited by fundmark19; 04-24-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I guess I see it differently. I am paying my realtor to properly list my property for sale, and I am indirectly paying the buyer's realtor to sell the property to his client. I wouldn't want my listing realtor picking up random "one of" clients; I would think that anybody looking seriously at buying would already have a realtor.