Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #41
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its often the drinks that really inflate your bill at restaurants anyways. If you only drank water with your meal you could easily save 20-40 dollars per person. If only I didn't like wine and beer so much!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Its often the drinks that really inflate your bill at restaurants anyways. If you only drank water with your meal you could easily save 20-40 dollars per person. If only I didn't like wine and beer so much!
I've noticed a lot of fancy joints are allowing free corkage now. Bring your own wine.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/story.html?id=1644977

Last edited by troutman; 08-28-2009 at 03:56 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #43
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Reef & Beef, in the N.E. is surprisingly good.
Longveiw Steakhouse is still my favorite though, if your up to a day trip.

Ah crap, NM.
I really should read the whole thread title.
As you were.
I love going to the Reef N Beef for steak and lobster.... mmmmmmmmmmm.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #44
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I'm so happy that no one has mentioned the Chicago Chophouse yet.
I've always felt that it is one of the worst restaraunts in Calgary as far as value goes.

My theory has always been that it is the place that people with bad taste in restaraunts take people to impress them with their taste in restaraunts.

You have all restored my faith in CP.
That's exactly what it is. They have a really impressive wine list but that's about it. I have one friend who suggested we all go for dinner there once and he's a guy who was all about the scene. Next time he suggested, I suggested Caesar's and we he hasn't gone back since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDBTZ12 View Post
Seven has real good steaks and is a pretty nice place too

Edit: quite expensive though
I found Seven to be pretty underwhelming for the price. Very bland steaks.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #45
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll actually put another vote down for Tribune. I thought it was pretty good.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #46
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ugh...The Keg is garbage and a total rip-off at any price.
What's so bad about the keg?
Caesers is my favorite, but I can't say I've ever had a bad steak at the keg. They're affordable, reliable and consistant. Never had an over or undercooked steak there.
I think some steak snobs just don't like to give the keg credit because it's a chain and not as expensive. It's like Grey Goose drinkers snuffing at every other vodka.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #47
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
What's so bad about the keg?
Caesers is my favorite, but I can't say I've ever had a bad steak at the keg. They're affordable, reliable and consistant. Never had an over or undercooked steak there.
I think some steak snobs just don't like to give the keg credit because it's a chain and not as expensive. It's like Grey Goose drinkers snuffing at every other vodka.
I've been over this in other threads, but I've never had a good experience at The Keg. I'm generally a guy who will give a restaurant 2-3 tries before I refuse to return, unless it's absolutely awful. I've been to The Keg at least half a dozen times. I've tried the one downtown, the one on 130th, one out here in Victoria, etc. The steaks I've had each time have usually been either really tough or really fatty, sometimes both. Not to mention the veggies look and taste like they were steamed in someone's colon.

EDIT: And I wouldn't call myself a steak snob. I had a good steak at Moxie's about two years ago. Way better than any steak I've ever had at The Keg.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #48
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

another vote for Vintage here. It is by far one of my favorite spots in the city.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #49
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll actually put another vote down for Tribune. I thought it was pretty good.
Funny story about Tribune. My wife was in charge of picking the menu there for her Christmas party. One of the items was suckling pig and she asks if I knew what it was. I said "Yeah errr... it's roasted ham...."

and when she left the room I said under my breath "baby pig served with head and feet".

It was the tastiest ham sandwiches ever.

The Keg can be hit or miss. I really like the ribeye from the Cattle Barron. They also have the tastiest shrimp app I have ever had outside of Maine or New Hampshire.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #50
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been over this in other threads, but I've never had a good experience at The Keg. I'm generally a guy who will give a restaurant 2-3 tries before I refuse to return, unless it's absolutely awful. I've been to The Keg at least half a dozen times. I've tried the one downtown, the one on 130th, one out here in Victoria, etc. The steaks I've had each time have usually been either really tough or really fatty, sometimes both. Not to mention the veggies look and taste like they were steamed in someone's colon.

EDIT: And I wouldn't call myself a steak snob. I had a good steak at Moxie's about two years ago. Way better than any steak I've ever had at The Keg.
Fair enough. I wasn't specifically talking about you with the steak snob bit, but see it might have read that way. I do think think there are many steak snobs out there, and was just curious as to why you didn't like the Keg.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #51
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Fair enough. I wasn't specifically talking about you with the steak snob bit, but see it might have read that way. I do think think there are many steak snobs out there, and was just curious as to why you didn't like the Keg.
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me that it's a chain. I just think that a chain that prides itself on steak, it falls short. Hell, I even like Outback Steakhouse when I go to the U.S more than The Keg.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #52
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the success of the meal at the Keg really depends on which one you go to. Ive had some amazing steaks at the Stadium location and some so-so steaks at others.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #53
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a big fan of the Met 17th ave location. I really like the decor and the New York Strips are fantastic. Very reasonably priced with the New Yorks under $30.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #54
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I am sure noone cares but we have a really great steakhouse in Lloydminster if you are ever passing through. KC's steakhouse. MMMM

As for the OP, why not just BBQ your own?

Go to the store with a good butcher, get some tenderlion cuts, (small and expensive, but still cheaper then a restaurant) and a package of bacon.

Fire BBQ up to about medium heat

Take steaks and wrap the outside in bacon using toothpick to secure the ends. Season with seasoning of choice... (my wife like Montreal steak spice, I like just pepper)

Put on BBQ, 6 min per side (for approx medium rare)

Put on plate and loosely cover with some tinfoil for a couple minutes (while you get everything else ready)

Enjoy with beer.

Last edited by stang; 08-29-2009 at 04:42 PM.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #55
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I am a big fan of the Met 17th ave location. I really like the decor and the New York Strips are fantastic. Very reasonably priced with the New Yorks under $30.
Yeah, The Met does a pretty good baseball steak.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #56
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

u want good steak? go to sky360 at the tower, i use to work tehre so i know. Trust me, the steaks tehre are way better than ruth chris's and satlik combined.. well, in my opinion anyways.. heh.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #57
Zarathustra
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Am I the only one here that finds Caesers totally lame and pretentious? My wealthy grandma takes the family there on occasion and I find it average, definitely not worth the price. But I should add that I'm not really big on steaks, and usually order ribs or chicken. I also absolutely hate the decor.
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #58
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
u want good steak? go to sky360 at the tower, i use to work tehre so i know. Trust me, the steaks tehre are way better than ruth chris's and satlik combined.. well, in my opinion anyways.. heh.
Poor punctuation and spelling aside, Sky360 is actually decent. I remember the food at the old restaurant in the tower was crap, but it's been pretty good since the renovations.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-29-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #59
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never tried the Calgary Saltlik but the one in Banff is fantastic. Personally, I like the Keg just fine - always had good food there and the prices are reasonable. The one by McMahon is the best, but IMO all of them are decent.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #60
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Poor punctucation and spelling aside, Sky360 is actually decent. I remember the food at the old restaurant in the tower was crap, but it's been pretty good since the renovations.

*sigh* like i said before, i don't give a crap about my puncucation from my previous post's and the spelling... my bad, i can't help it if i type fast, haha. I don't bother going back to check my spelling.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta beef , calgary , downtown , steak