Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 05:12 PM   #1821
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Rolex are ugly? Big chonky steel things. The fact that they’re only available to a certain “class” of person doesn’t make them any more appealing.

Edit: I know there are Rolex watches that aren’t like I described. I’m talking about the ones I seem to see most often. The Cellini is quite nice.
They are mostly sport or tool watches, so that's the style.
Dive watches for example are large, because a diver needs to see it underwater. Pilot watches are usually large for similar reasons.

The type of watch you're describing is a dress watch which Rolex isn't known for.
If you look at brands like Patek, Vacheron, JLC, Nomos, ALS, you'll find some beautiful watches that would likely be more appealing to your tastes.
You're not the only one who feels this way, there's a watch for everyone.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #1822
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, what do you guys think of this I'm considering as my first real upgraded watch (Longines HydroConquest):

Couple things: it's 44mm, although you can get it in a smaller size. Keep in mind I'm a big guy with huge hands. A small watch looks pretty funny on me and if I use my Samsung Galaxy Active 2 as a size comparable (it's also 44mm), it looks totally normal on me. This is much chunkier, though, so who knows. I haven't tried it on yet.

Also, are you able to look at those lugs and know if a NATO strap would work with that watch? It's like the steel strap goes so close to the case that I'm not sure how the pin situation would work. Adding to that, would a NATO strap look reasonable on this? I love the look of, like, a Submariner with a NATO strap, but I don't know if all divers can pull that off. I would want to be able to swap back and forth between both types of straps.

Finally, even though I'm big and my hands are big and my wrist is reasonably big, is 44mm just totally dooshy? I'm not looking to impress anybody with this thing, but I don't want to stand out as super gaudy, either.
Can you try it out in person? Also, I think the Gems by Carati sponsored forms has sold Longines before. I wonder if they'd be able to help you a bit more than the average store that just sells Longines/CP discount or extra mile.

If you buy something like this, pay $30-40 for a watch repair kit so that you can easily swap the straps yourself.

The size part you already have covered. Based on your previous Seiko 5, I also assume you have no issues with the weight of the watch even if it has the steel bracelet on it. I have me some people who complain the weight is enough to make their wrists hurt.

Most of these types of watches are just timeless. For those who don't know major differences, from a distance, it'll just look like a nice watch. They wouldn't know if it's a $500 or a $15000 watch. For those that know watches, they'll eyeball and evaluate it from a distance. Looks wise, it won't look dooshy if you don't position your wrist like you're posing the watch on purpose. Most people who don't know or care about watches won't really even notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Rolex are ugly? Big chonky steel things. The fact that they’re only available to a certain “class” of person doesn’t make them any more appealing.

Edit: I know there are Rolex watches that aren’t like I described. I’m talking about the ones I seem to see most often. The Cellini is quite nice.
There's a really weird thing about watches. Pictures never do them justice and you never always truly know if a watch will look great or terrible until you see it in person and on your wrist.

I've seen a few watches I just hated the look of. But the moment I put it on my wrist, it didn't look as bad as I expected it to. I've seen a few others where I loved the look. The moment I put it on my wrist, it looks weird.

But yes, as already mentioned, the difference between diver/aviation, sport or dress watches can make the look vary significantly.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #1823
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
Yeah making a decision is difficult especially in this price bracket. There's a lot of really great options. Have a look at Oris too for similarly priced and different styles of dive watch.

I always recommend to people to try on as many as they can prior to making a purchase if they're at all unsure. If you go to Calgary Jewellery on 17th ave SW, you can try on both the Hydroquest and the Legend Diver as well as a few other brands in that range. Ask for Christina and she will take care of you. She knows her stuff and isn't pushy at all.
Hey thanks. The Oris watches are nice and the crown guards seem a bit more elegant than the ones on the Longines. I'll have to check that out in person.

The Legend Diver may not be the best for me. I want a diver with a spinning bezel as I figure that will protect the crystal a bit better than one without. My job can be a bit 'hands on' so I want something pretty tough with some protection. I am going to look at the Legend, though, because maybe it'll be fine and it would be nice to compare.

For this purchase, I'm trying to stick with Longines, Tissot or Hamilton so I can shop at Gem by Carati (forum sponsor). I'll check out the Oris, though. That's a brand that wasn't on my radar at all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #1824
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well best of luck on finding something you really like!
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #1825
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The Submariner and GMT -- the 'Sports watches' -- never used to be big and chunky like they are today.

Take the Submariner for example; do an image search of the Rolex 16610. Now in another tab, do an image search of the Rolex 116610. Note how the indices on the dial, case lugs, and crownguards are smaller on the 16610, while they're big, chunky, and in-your-face on the 116610. That's the model when Rolex introduced the 'Maxi case' and 'Maxi dial' to their normal production lineup for Submariner. This happened on the GMT Master II between the 16710 and 116710 models too.

Sadly, if you want a Rolex sports watch that isn't a big chunky bastard, you're stuck looking at other models, or the second-hand market for five-digit models.
I'm still annoyed they discontinued the Oyster Perpetual 39mm Rhodium and now there are just gharish 41mm ones being made (but still unobtanium).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:35 PM   #1826
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Got tired of looking at luxury watches that I can't walk into a store and buy. Sometimes all you need to scratch the itch is a new toy.

Groveling at my Rolex AD and begging them to let me to spend more money to be bumped up the list? Naw.

Amazon Warehouse Orient Ray (total impulse buy, was looking at divers) with same day delivery for $160 did the trick!

1. In-house movement | even many storied Swiss brands only use ETAs and don't have in-house movements
2. Day - Date display
3. Automatic
4. 120 click dive bezel with solid links
5. Screw down crown with crown guards
6. 200m water resistance
7. Hacking & hand-winding (compared to many Seiko 5s or SKX's with a 7S26)
8. Not an homage
9. Not huuuge
10. Says Epson on the case back so I can laugh that I'm wearing a printer on my wrist

Next step is maybe get a higher quality bracelet with solid end-links and to install a sapphire domed crystal with AR with the money saved from the warehouse deal. Looks like it was an Amazon return but the watch was brand new aside from a near-invisible scratch on the crystal which I always replace on Orient/Seikos with mineral glass anyway. All until the next itch...

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-13-2022 at 06:25 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 09:46 PM   #1827
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a really nice orient. I've got a watch itch too and I've been eyeing the orient Kamasu and Bulova lunar pilot chronograph.

But the more I look at them, due to the price bracket it sits in, I feel like wanting to aim for something higher and something with a unique feature I don't have yet. The compass on the seiko alpinist has stuck out to me. I'm trying to decide if I should save up for it rather than add more inexpensive pieces.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #1828
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
That's a really nice orient. I've got a watch itch too and I've been eyeing the orient Kamasu and Bulova lunar pilot chronograph.

But the more I look at them, due to the price bracket it sits in, I feel like wanting to aim for something higher and something with a unique feature I don't have yet. The compass on the seiko alpinist has stuck out to me. I'm trying to decide if I should save up for it rather than add more inexpensive pieces.
The Bulova lunar pilot chronograph is something I've almost pulled the trigger on before.

1. It is unique because it runs the precisionist/accutron II technology which is ultra-frequency quartz of 262,000 Hz compared to 32,750 of normal quartz. It's more accurate in time keeping than a Grand Seiko.

but...

2. The problem is most people will see it as a Speedmaster homage and not because a real Astronaut wore his Bulova one time when his Omega broke.

3. It's too damn big

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-13-2022 at 10:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #1829
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, what do you guys think of this I'm considering as my first real upgraded watch (Longines HydroConquest):

Couple things: it's 44mm, although you can get it in a smaller size. Keep in mind I'm a big guy with huge hands. A small watch looks pretty funny on me and if I use my Samsung Galaxy Active 2 as a size comparable (it's also 44mm), it looks totally normal on me. This is much chunkier, though, so who knows. I haven't tried it on yet.

Also, are you able to look at those lugs and know if a NATO strap would work with that watch? It's like the steel strap goes so close to the case that I'm not sure how the pin situation would work. Adding to that, would a NATO strap look reasonable on this? I love the look of, like, a Submariner with a NATO strap, but I don't know if all divers can pull that off. I would want to be able to swap back and forth between both types of straps.

Finally, even though I'm big and my hands are big and my wrist is reasonably big, is 44mm just totally dooshy? I'm not looking to impress anybody with this thing, but I don't want to stand out as super gaudy, either.
Longines watches are fantastic!

As for the size, do you know the circumference of your wrist? For me, personally, 44mm is way too big and does look dooshy. I do, however, have smaller wrists at 6.75mm, so it seems as though the sweet spot for me is in the sub 42mm size.

If you have 7inch or larger wrists, then you should be able to pull off that size of watch without any issue.

As for myself, I purchased this beauty from Bezel House around Christmas:

This watch is just about perfect for me. It's dressy enough to be dressed up, but doesn't look out of place when worn every day. I also find the 38mm size to suit my skinny wrists perfectly. The green is a cool splash of color, without being too out there.

I also want to give a huge shout out to Ryan at Bezel House. He's one of the best dudes in the industry. He's very responsive to emails, not pushy at all, knows his stuff very well and was happy to show me pretty much every watch he had in stock when I went in.

I believe Bezel House is one of the largest dealers of Seiko watches in Canada and the largest for Mido watches - which is a great underrated Swiss watch brand.

If you're looking at buying a watch soon, I highly recommend having a look at their website and getting in touch with them if you see something you like.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #1830
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

This watch is just about perfect for me. It's dressy enough to be dressed up, but doesn't look out of place when worn every day. I also find the 38mm size to suit my skinny wrists perfectly. The green is a cool splash of color, without being too out there.
That's a beautiful watch!

I have a blue Kamasu. Orient has absolutely beautiful blue sunburst dials for their dive watches. Dark, dark blue almost black in low light conditions, but when it catches a little bit of sunlight you can really see why they call it sunburst.

I'm not in the Submariner tax bracket although my wife probably wouldn't divorce me if I really, really wanted a Sub. But at this stage of my life with 3 teenagers, I can't justify a year's tuition on my wrist. I love dive watches, but Submariners just don't do it for me. They're so iconic they've become cliche.

IMO a Submariner watch is probably worth about $3,000 and the other $9,000 of the price is for the 'Rolex' printed on the dial. I'd rather have $11,000 in the bank and 4 Seikos and Orients or $10,000 in the bank and a Sinn 104.

Whether luxury goods are worth the cost is a highly personal decision, maybe I'm just rationalizing my lack of discretionary income. IMO a week's pay for a watch is as high as I'd ever go. And I'm much happier spending a day's pay.

But the watch that brings me the most joy per dollar spent is this beauty. I smile every time I wear it. And it cost 30 minutes pay. Deal of the century!

Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #1831
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post
But the watch that brings me the most joy per dollar spent is this beauty. I smile every time I wear it. And it cost 30 minutes pay. Deal of the century!

BOOBS > Rolex
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #1832
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As for the size, do you know the circumference of your wrist? For me, personally, 44mm is way too big and does look dooshy. I do, however, have smaller wrists at 6.75mm, so it seems as though the sweet spot for me is in the sub 42mm size.

If you have 7inch or larger wrists, then you should be able to pull off that size of watch without any issue.

I also want to give a huge shout out to Ryan at Bezel House. He's one of the best dudes in the industry. He's very responsive to emails, not pushy at all, knows his stuff very well and was happy to show me pretty much every watch he had in stock when I went in.

I believe Bezel House is one of the largest dealers of Seiko watches in Canada and the largest for Mido watches - which is a great underrated Swiss watch brand.

If you're looking at buying a watch soon, I highly recommend having a look at their website and getting in touch with them if you see something you like.
Very nice baby Alpinist. It reminds me a lot of the Seiko Presage.

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-...ospex/spb121j1

I personally like the full Alpinist with the compass more, but I seem to just like quirky watches and I like slightly bigger watches.

Not trying to be a porcupine at a balloon party, but I personally just cannot get into Hamilton and Longines watches. I think it's because I just don't like the vast majority of number fonts in general and Hamilton/Longines like to use numbers a lot. I even tried them on in person and I just don't prefer the look.

I'm due for a promotion very soon and I'm having a hell of a time determining how much I should spend. Originally I was thinking around $1,000-1,500. My wife was casually throwing suggestions that I should consider a brand new Omega, but it just doesn't feel quite right for how I want to symbolize this promotion. I'm kind of quirky in terms of embedding meaning/symbolism into many of the things I own. I am hoping to lean heavily leaning towards looking for something pre-owned so that I can get more calibre of watch for the budget I have in mind. Getting great value is something that is important to me as well. Prices are screwy right now, so I am planning on starting to look during the summer, but I also feel perfectly fine in spending 18 months to slowly seek something that feels right for the occasion. If the budget increases because something seriously eye-catching pops up and it feels right, so be it.

Bezel house has some interesting pre-owned options on their website. Are there other stores in Calgary with pre-owned/consignment listings worth perusing in this format in case something interesting pops up that I want to see in person? (I am aware of international ones like Chrono24 and a few others, but I cannot try them on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
BOOBS > Rolex
For those who remember the story...

69, 222,51 x 8 = (flip upside down)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #1833
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

My wrist is 20mm (7 3/4"). Good to have that rule of thumb that I'll be okay with a larger watch. Thanks for making that clear for me.

I used this to get the measurement (in case anybody else needs to do the same):
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/media/...ng_tool_US.pdf
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #1834
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post
I'm not in the Submariner tax bracket although my wife probably wouldn't divorce me if I really, really wanted a Sub. But at this stage of my life with 3 teenagers, I can't justify a year's tuition on my wrist. I love dive watches, but Submariners just don't do it for me. They're so iconic they've become cliche.

IMO a Submariner watch is probably worth about $3,000 and the other $9,000 of the price is for the 'Rolex' printed on the dial. I'd rather have $11,000 in the bank and 4 Seikos and Orients or $10,000 in the bank and a Sinn 104.

I'm the same on Subs; they don't really interest me at all.
My favourite dive watch is the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms but it's 45mm and I don't want anything that large.
If they do make a regular released model in 40-42 one day, I'll add it to my collection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #1835
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So.... where see y'all getting your watch straps from? I'm looking at getting some brown leather straps for the green dial Seiko I posted above. I'll possibly also be looking at some nato straps.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:20 PM   #1836
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just ordered 2 from Delugs for my Vacheron Overseas, but don't have them yet to give a review.

I also have a bracelet from Uncle Seiko for my Omega Speedmaster and it's fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 01-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #1837
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://holbensfinewatchbands.com/

I've ordered from Holbens a few times.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 01-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #1838
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just impulse-bought one of these on sale...

https://www.shinola.com/mens/watches...5mm-41501.html

I am not a watch aficionado by any means, but they seem to be reasonably well regarded, although thought of as a bit pricey in some cases. This was on sale for $450, which seems like a pretty good price for what it is. But maybe the more educated here will think otherwise?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #1839
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That is one fine looking watching watch. Love the green.

I love Seiko's, to me I get excited when I see somebody else with a nice Seiko as compared to a Rolex. Nothing against Rolex, great watch, it just becomes the de facto fancy watch that a lot of people have.

This is the one that was in my rotation until Covid hit (not mine in the pic)

bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 11:46 PM   #1840
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
That is one fine looking watching watch. Love the green.

I love Seiko's, to me I get excited when I see somebody else with a nice Seiko as compared to a Rolex. Nothing against Rolex, great watch, it just becomes the de facto fancy watch that a lot of people have.

This is the one that was in my rotation until Covid hit (not mine in the pic)

Nice watch. Is that a Sumo?

Yeah, when I set out to buy another watch this Christmas, I really wanted to get a Swiss watch at first, but something about this one spoke to me when I put it on.

I saw a comment above calling this a baby Alpinist. That's not technically true. This is an homage to the original Seiko Laurel Alpinist from 1959. It has a similar aesthetic to that watch, but with modern dimensions and caliber

When this watch came out in August, I knew I had to get one.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post: