Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Advice on Propane to Nat Gas Conversion for Patio Heater

Hi all,

We recently got this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ham...ter/1001618675 which natively supports a propane tank. Since we have the nat gas line available on our patio, we'd like to use that instead.

I saw on the Home Depot site that indeed others have done this, I took a shot in the dark and got this kit: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bon...kit/1001076012.

Had a gasfitter come out and they said it wasn't compatible (namely the bottom portion of the valve/orifice in the kit, as the kit calls for a 'flexible hose' which the patio heater does not have).

Anyway, now looking to see where I may be able to find the appropriate conversion kit and/or other ideas.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

The gas fitter didn't recommend something else?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't want to sound flippant, but what about returning this heater (and the conversion kit) and just buying a native nat gas heater?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
The gas fitter didn't recommend something else?
He recommended going back to Home Depot and getting a compatible kit, lol.

I've reached out to Home Depot to see if they have an official recommendation for a conversion kit, but haven't heard back anything from them.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you check the manufacturer site(or the manual-usually conversions are listed as accessories somewhere)? You can probably find a part number that way, then track it down on the internet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did you check the manufacturer site(or the manual-usually conversions are listed as accessories somewhere)? You can probably find a part number that way, then track it down on the internet.
Haven't had luck...it's kind of frustrating because I can see on Home Depot US site, people talking about doing this in the Q&A section, but cannot for the life of me find info for it (how, what kit, etc.).
Old 04-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that sucks.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:19 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What you need are some Propane accessories...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm stealing this thread... any suggestions on patio heating methods at this point? Are the old conical patio heaters that basically waste a bunch of gas because all the heat just escapes upwards still the only realistic option or has something better come along in the past 10 years?

I was contemplating an IR heater or two, but they are a bit of a pain due to the need for extension cords (no, I'm not going to permanently mount them and connect them to power, that's way too much work)
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #10
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Typically, you would change out the quick connection, and drill out the orfice.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:46 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Not falling for that again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #12
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's actually what I'm trying to talk to gasfitters for. The few I've spoken to seem reluctant to do that, keep asking me to go to the manufacturer to get the orifice size and etc. and candidly I thought that's the type of work they could do to do the conversion for me...
Old 04-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Haven't had luck...it's kind of frustrating because I can see on Home Depot US site, people talking about doing this in the Q&A section, but cannot for the life of me find info for it (how, what kit, etc.).
In all honesty, aren't all of those types of heaters basically the same types of parts internally anyways? It's all basically like BBQ parts with minor visual differences, but the natural gas and propane regulator type connection points are basically the same from one brand to another?

I keep seeing nat gas to propane regulator kids for like $30. Seemingly worrisome that they're so cheap for something that deals with flammable gas, but also seemingly indicative that in theory, these things shouldn't be too complex or difficult to do?

It's seemingly easy to do, but no one rightfully wants to risk the liability for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm stealing this thread... any suggestions on patio heating methods at this point? Are the old conical patio heaters that basically waste a bunch of gas because all the heat just escapes upwards still the only realistic option or has something better come along in the past 10 years?

I was contemplating an IR heater or two, but they are a bit of a pain due to the need for extension cords (no, I'm not going to permanently mount them and connect them to power, that's way too much work)
What are you trying to do? Outdoors wise without too many walls, it seemed like the gas ones are typically the better ones. I wasn't really impressed with electric/IR type ones unless the area was a little bit enclosed like in a pergola/gazebo set up or partially walled patio. I personally didn't feel like the electric ones made sense unless it was more for a garage or something. Especially since the decent units seemed to cost like $300-400 each and aren't great the moment there's a bit of breeze.

If sitting around a heat source the concept are essentially fire bowls or fire tables that you can sit around like a fire pit. They range from $100-1500 each including propane tank, but sometimes the cost is because they look pretty in glass enclosures or includes a full table enclosure. Due to typical positioning, they're good for warming your front, but not your back or feet.

If bigger areas, there are the tower type ones (ie: cone or triangle) that you see often on street type patios. I felt like I found success with multiple cone ones on opposite sides of my patio positioned behind where individuals sit. They work quite well and they don't seem very inefficient. I think I get around 8-10 hours per propane tank on mostly max settings. These typically range between $200-800 including cost of propane tank.

There's also those ceiling mounted gas ones like the Calcana heaters that looks likes an exposed end of a Searzall. But those are overkill. I believe they're like $1000 starting.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #14
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
In all honesty, aren't all of those types of heaters basically the same types of parts internally anyways? It's all basically like BBQ parts with minor visual differences, but the natural gas and propane regulator type connection points are basically the same from one brand to another?

I keep seeing nat gas to propane regulator kids for like $30. Seemingly worrisome that they're so cheap for something that deals with flammable gas, but also seemingly indicative that in theory, these things shouldn't be too complex or difficult to do?

It's seemingly easy to do, but no one rightfully wants to risk the liability for doing it.

What are you trying to do? Outdoors wise without too many walls, it seemed like the gas ones are typically the better ones. I wasn't really impressed with electric/IR type ones unless the area was a little bit enclosed like in a pergola/gazebo set up or partially walled patio. I personally didn't feel like the electric ones made sense unless it was more for a garage or something. Especially since the decent units seemed to cost like $300-400 each and aren't great the moment there's a bit of breeze.

If sitting around a heat source the concept are essentially fire bowls or fire tables that you can sit around like a fire pit. They range from $100-1500 each including propane tank, but sometimes the cost is because they look pretty in glass enclosures or includes a full table enclosure. Due to typical positioning, they're good for warming your front, but not your back or feet.

If bigger areas, there are the tower type ones (ie: cone or triangle) that you see often on street type patios. I felt like I found success with multiple cone ones on opposite sides of my patio positioned behind where individuals sit. They work quite well and they don't seem very inefficient. I think I get around 8-10 hours per propane tank on mostly max settings. These typically range between $200-800 including cost of propane tank.

There's also those ceiling mounted gas ones like the Calcana heaters that looks likes an exposed end of a Searzall. But those are overkill. I believe they're like $1000 starting.
Well I'm with you, but this isn't my area of expertise. I honestly thought between the Q&A online and calling a gasfitter this would have been straightforward and a slam dunk...but so far the few I've talked to seem super reluctant.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #15
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a gas fitter, I am super reluctant to touch appliances that I didn’t purchase myself through a reputable supplier who will back their product no questions asked.

Unless you’re a pal like Sliver, where I can hand off some tools and let the fun begin lol.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #16
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh, and to those people who think they can get a gas line ran to their BBQ for $200.00, #### off, the permit almost costs that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #17
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, and to those people who think they can get a gas line ran to their BBQ for $200.00, #### off, the permit almost costs that.
I would say blame builders. Most people I know that bought a new build seem to mention that the builder suggests that for $150-250 they'd pull and hook up the line to a BBQ.

Maybe you'd know more, but I wonder if it's because the builder can basically just piggyback on the existing building permit, whereas in your situation you have to apply from scratch?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #18
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also keep in mind if you go to nat gas you'll need to install some weights, etc, in the base to prevent it from tipping over. They're top heavy little umbrellas and love to tip over. Most nat gas ones will have weights or be designed to be screwed to the floor.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 08:11 PM   #19
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sure, if we are already on site for a new build it’s pretty easy to add a new line. But if is an existing dwelling, we have to consider things like total BTU’s , gas line distance and potential additional appliances. If you’re going from a traditional 40 gal. Water heater, and want a tankless water heater, there is a difference between 40, 000BTU and 199,00BTU on start up
Old 04-07-2022, 08:31 PM   #20
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Also keep in mind if you go to nat gas you'll need to install some weights, etc, in the base to prevent it from tipping over. They're top heavy little umbrellas and love to tip over. Most nat gas ones will have weights or be designed to be screwed to the floor.
It's funny I've come further ahead on peripheral considerations vs the actual conversion at this stage haha.