Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #61
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
But I don't see this as a brake check. You can see from the forward footage at the time of the cut-off there is a black SUV already in the middle lane. The Tesla swerves to the left lane and accelerates, and you can see he is much faster than that Black SUV. He then reenters that middle lane while there is a safe distance between the Black SUV in front the the guy that cut him off behind. He then has to slow down since at the time the camera switched angles he was overtaking the black SUV. I guarantee if we see the front footage of the braking action it is to prevent the Tesla from running into the ass end of the black SUV.

There probably was a honk when he had to swerve, and he should have honked to alert the 4runner that he was in the lane and had to make a evasive maneuver.
Ok I see what you mean but when you watch the next angle if that was the case you would have seen the second SUV in the side footage. Notice that after the alleged brake check the tesla seems to be speeding up and you never see the Nissan in the side footage until the Tesla passes him.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #62
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tesla hard brake checked at 1:05 and 1:23 of the video / different angles.

Just look at the shaking of the camera / car at that moment, and the position of the small black car in the right most lane at both of those instances to see just how bad of a brake check it was (followed by how fast the Tesla overtook that black car as well). The Tesla speeding up right after the hard brake check sure as heck is not the sign of a victim. Look how fast the Tesla overtook that black car after the brake check which had it become slower then it (while staying in the same lane mind you)

4runner reacted ONLY after the hard brake check, as did the Mercedes.

The black SUV you talk about was nowhere to be seen until 1:34, a full 10 seconds after the brake check and fast acceleration. That black SUV was going pretty fast, certainly not in the 'impeding the Tesla' range where the Tesla driver braked hard enough to shake his car and was a victim this whole time of bad circumstances.

Tesla driver is a total ######.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-11-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #63
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yeah 100%. Right at 1:05 you can see Tesla approaching the mini cooper and suddenly slow right down forcing the 4Runner to swerve out of the way.

Total doosh move, and it's probably why crazy guy kicked his mirrors off.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 01:55 PM   #64
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Ok I see what you mean but when you watch the next angle if that was the case you would have seen the second SUV in the side footage. Notice that after the alleged brake check the tesla seems to be speeding up and you never see the Nissan in the side footage until the Tesla passes him.
I don't think he really speeds up until after the 4runner swerves into him and he moves into the exit lane and you can then see the 4runner accelerates to get ahead of the Tesla but gets blocked in by that SUV, so even if you don't see it in the side view, it can't be more than a car length ahead or the 4runner would have cut off the Tesla himself instead of getting locked and needing the Mercedes to get ahead. We also can't tell the SUV's movements - as in did he accelerate after seeing the 4runner try to run the guy off the road? I know I would have to get away from the raging behind me.

At worst you can say the Tesla should have stayed in the left lane and not moved into the closing hole of the middle lane. We can't say for sure that he intended to exit here or was forced into it so if he had the option to not go back to the centre lane then he should have stayed left.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #65
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

Just look at the shaking of the camera / car at that moment, and the position of the small black car in the right most lane at both of those instances to see just how bad of a brake check it was (followed by how fast the Tesla overtook that black car as well). The Tesla speeding up right after the hard brake check sure as heck is not the sign of a victim. Look how fast the Tesla overtook that black car after the brake check which had it become slower then it (while staying in the same lane mind you)

The black SUV you talk about was nowhere to be seen until 1:34, a full 10 seconds after the brake check and fast acceleration. That black SUV was going pretty fast, certainly not in the 'impeding the Tesla' range where the Tesla driver braked hard enough to shake his car and was a victim this whole time of bad circumstances.

4runner was already reacting before the "brake check". He is sitting one tire in the left lane already before the braking action and accelerating fast into the Tesla. He was ALREADY reacting before the brake, probably because his fragile little ego was butthurt because he got honked at for almost causing a collision.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:49 PM   #66
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

I was just speaking in generalities before and hadn't watch a frame by frame on this, but I stand by my 'brake-checking' complaints are overblown stance.

You mention the Mini Cooper in the right lane...it would be nice if we had speed data, but I think we could estimate that the Mini was doing ~80kph and these guys were doing 95+. The so-called brake-check dropped the Tesla to the Mini's speed for less than a second before speeding up again. At no point did the Tesla even go slower than the Mini. The bad-driving by the Tesla seems to be accelerating into congestion (perhaps trying to get ahead of the Mini into right lane), moreso than the slow down. (I've never driven a Tesla...might that have just been a slightly older model with regeneritive braking/coasting?)

If you don't want to get brake-checked, get your ass fully into the passing lane before you stomp the gas. It's not true here, but there are plenty of valid reasons a car in the middle lane might need to abruptly slow down...say making a gap into the exit lane (which would just be typical bad-driving)...or like the bystander cam who dropped from 83 to 41kph because there was a psychopath karate-kicking a car in the exit.

Maybe just me, but I expect at least one run-of-the-mill bad driving encounter every time I'm on the road. I don't know if the Tesla would have even raised my eyebrow...but then again I wouldn't have been on his ass.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:01 PM   #67
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
You mention the Mini Cooper in the right lane...it would be nice if we had speed data, but I think we could estimate that the Mini was doing ~80kph and these guys were doing 95+. The so-called brake-check dropped the Tesla to the Mini's speed for less than a second before speeding up again. At no point did the Tesla even go slower than the Mini.
It looked to me like a very quick brake-check followed up by the sort of acceleration a Tesla is capable of. A quick "f--k you" brake-check followed by a "See ya, sucker".

Shortly followed by an "Oh sh-t, I pissed off a lunatic and his friends."
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #68
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy ####, this is scary.

Innocent woman killed, man injured after road rage shooting in southeast Calgary: Police

Quote:
Police said in a release they began receiving reports just after 11 p.m. of vehicles being driven erratically on 36th Street S.E., with witnesses saying a red 2021 Chevrolet Silverado appeared to be pursuing a grey 2021 Volkwagen Jetta, "exchanging gunfire as they continued to drive south."

Stray bullets hit at least two homes in the 1100 and 1700 blocks of 36th Street S.E. No injuries were reported from within the homes.

The two vehicles then collided with two other vehicles at the intersection of 36th Street and 17th Avenue S.E.
Quote:
"Despite the best efforts of first responders, the driver of a silver van, who was uninvolved in the shooting, a 40-year-old woman, was declared deceased at the scene. The driver of the second unrelated vehicle involved in the collision was unharmed."
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/innocent-...lice-1.5897894
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:56 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Road rage? You sure about that CPS? Are there so many guns around that 2 random vehicles just happen to have a road rage incident and happen to start shooting at each other? Gonna guess this is gang related/targeted attack, not random passers by.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #70
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not taking away from the tragedy of this incident but it sounds more like a gang-related incident than a road rage incident.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:39 AM   #71
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this is allowed, i'm not connected in anyway just super tragic, 5 kids and the husband died 3 months earlier

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-f...family-tragedy
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #72
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Not taking away from the tragedy of this incident but it sounds more like a gang-related incident than a road rage incident.
I find it odd that they would try to downplay this as road rage. I could understand they don't want to cause panic with an innocent bystander getting caught in gang activity but personally I'm more disturbed that two random vehicles had people in them carrying guns and willing to actually use them in the fashion they did. No chance in hell this was just road rage especially when they fled their vehicles also.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #73
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Not sure if this is allowed, i'm not connected in anyway just super tragic, 5 kids and the husband died 3 months earlier

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-f...family-tragedy
Those criminals should have to pay child support for all the kids. Damn. Awful.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #74
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That's the saddest family photo I've ever seen. Donate people!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #75
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Road rage? You sure about that CPS? Are there so many guns around that 2 random vehicles just happen to have a road rage incident and happen to start shooting at each other? Gonna guess this is gang related/targeted attack, not random passers by.
Maybe, maybe not. Thing is, there are way more gun-related things going on in Calgary than folks suspect. At least once a week, I deal with a call where someone says that they were having an 'incident' on the road, and someone flashed a gun at them.

For the last 2 months, we've gotten reports about people driving around, usually on the bar strips when they let out, peppering people with bb guns. So much so that I had to check to see if it was some kind of new stupid TikTok challenge.

For my part, honestly, I'm surprised we HAVEN'T had two dudebros shooting at each other before (so far all of our road rage shootings have been one-way only).

Is this gang-related? Possibly. Is it random? Possibly.

As of the end of April...Calgary's had 11 homicides and 53 shootings. It happens much more than people suspect, it just doesn't always make the news.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #76
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I carried one of my guns around with me when driving, especially when driving at work, there would be a LOT less bus drivers in this city
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote