Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2022, 02:57 PM   #6301
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it terrorism?

Ukraine is currently in a war with Russia.

So a typical definition of terrorism is illegal actions against civilian targets for political aims.

So some of the fires like the Ferris wheel would be acts of terrorism. But things like burning down of enlistment centers if done by Ukrainians /allies would in my opinion be legitimate targets of war.
What about burning down enlistment centers by Russians in opposition to the war and/or their current government?

Because that's my somewhat educated guess on what's going on with those enlistment centers.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #6302
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post

AFV 1, 2 and 3 are BMP-1. Two of their turrets are seen at 4 and 5. AFV 6 is a BTR-D. So what? Well, the Russians do not use BMP-1. The UAF and Donbas militias use them. But the Russian army uses different variants (BMP-1AM and BRM-1K). Russian airborne units, Ukrainian ground and air forces and the Donbas militias use the BTR-D - the latter having captured them from UAF.
Sorry, where do you get this info?

https://altyn73.livejournal.com/1388817.html

If they don't use them, then why did they have a modernization program announced for them a couple years ago? DPR is also part of the offensive.

Be careful trying to dissect yourself into building a narrative that best meets your own beliefs of what is occurring. There has barely been any tank to tank or head on mechanized battles this whole war. There's little videos of such and only in isolated incidents. You do however have drone footage of artillery bombardments on the very pictures you posted.

Having 'Ukrainian' BMP-1's on the wrong side of a river crossing and losing them in an unknown battle, and Russians coincidentally also choosing to make the river crossing and lose all their units at the same spot as "Ukrainian" BMP-1s makes absolutely zero sense.

Sometimes the easiest answer is the one that is presented.

Last edited by Firebot; 05-22-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #6303
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
What about burning down enlistment centers by Russians in opposition to the war and/or their current government?

Because that's my somewhat educated guess on what's going on with those enlistment centers.
Isn’t that civil disobedience? You are protesting military targets.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #6304
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Isn’t that civil disobedience? You are protesting military targets.
Destroying property generally only counts as civil disobedience if you destroy your own property.

This would be more like violent dissidence, as you're attacking and destroying government property.

However, I do agree that calling it "terrorism" is not the only option.

I would call it domestic terrorism, but I also don't see the word 'terrorism' as inherently negative as most people, so I get why someone would actively want to use a different term.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:51 PM   #6305
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It gets a little grey. Personally, I think military targets are fair game even if civilians are carrying it out. Some people would disagree. A few years back when militants rammed a boat into a U.S. warship in the Gulf, it was called terrorism by the U.S., but I always thought that was a fair target even if I don't agree with motives of either side. IEDs targeting soldiers or mercenary contractors are also legitimate IMO, but many people consider it terrorism.

I wonder it Russia ever regrets forcefully relocating so many Ukrainians into Russia's interior in the past. I would not at all be surprised if some of them are involved in some of these acts.
If civilians are carrying out attacks they are not civilians.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #6306
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Destroying property generally only counts as civil disobedience if you destroy your own property.

This would be more like violent dissidence, as you're attacking and destroying government property.

I would call it domestic terrorism, but I also don't see the word 'terrorism' as inherently negative as most people, so I get why someone would actively want to use a different term.
For me the key differentiator is the target of the attack. If you are attacking civilians it’s more likely terrorism. If attacking a military target not.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:02 PM   #6307
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Violence and intimidation against civilians for political or religious gains is terrorism. what Russia is doing is terrorism and genocide to boot.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #6308
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD and map updates. Last couple of days have seen a deterioration of Ukrainian defensive lines near Lyman, Popasana, and Toshkivka with Russians closing in on their encirclement of Sievierodonetsk. The Russian military appears to be performing far better since they are resupplied via the rail lines directly connected to Russian supply centres rather than the easily ambushed truck convoys used in the Kiev offensive. Ukrainian defensive efforts and reinforcements are hampered by the destruction of a key bridge to Sievierodonetsk that was taken out earlier by Russian mortar fire. Reportedly Lyman has at least partially fallen under Russian control with troop checking documents of civilians in the area and checkpoints now.

No other significant activity has been reported anywhere else although reports indicate Russians readying to resume offensive operations in Kherson area. Ukrainians seem to be ramping up irregular combat activities in the Kherson and Zaporizhia with some attempted assassinations of Ukrainian collaborators.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1528598748112330754
https://twitter.com/user/status/1528767835362709504

Larger detailed map from Wikipedia

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-23-2022 at 09:38 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 10:04 PM   #6309
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A high ranking Russian diplomat to the UN based in Switzerland resigned today and was very critical of his country.

Quote:
“For twenty years of my diplomatic career I have seen different turns of our foreign policy, but never have I been so ashamed of my country as on February 24 of this year,”

“The aggressive war unleashed by Putin against Ukraine, and in fact against the entire Western world, is not only a crime against the Ukrainian people, but also, perhaps, the most serious crime against the people of Russia,” the statement said.

“Those who conceived this war want only one thing — to remain in power forever, live in pompous tasteless palaces, sail on yachts comparable in tonnage and cost to the entire Russian Navy, enjoying unlimited power and complete impunity,” he said in the statement.

“Today, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is not about diplomacy. It is all about warmongering, lies and hatred,” he added.
You can read the full statement here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...war-in-ukraine

He said that he made the decision to resign on February 24th, but that he needed to gather the courage to go forward with it.

He also mentioned that he will not be returning to Russia and when asked if he had asylum yet and he said that he has not requested it, but if some country offers it, he would be extremely grateful.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:26 AM   #6310
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
A high ranking Russian diplomat to the UN based in Switzerland resigned today and was very critical of his country.

You can read the full statement here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...war-in-ukraine

He said that he made the decision to resign on February 24th, but that he needed to gather the courage to go forward with it.

He also mentioned that he will not be returning to Russia and when asked if he had asylum yet and he said that he has not requested it, but if some country offers it, he would be extremely grateful.
I wonder if he'll soon get the sudden urge to commit suicide?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:20 AM   #6311
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should never go into a building with more than one floor.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #6312
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1529099517005639682
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #6313
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

For me the big line is whether or not you're purposely trying to target actual civilians. If just property is the target and great lengths are taken to avoid civilian casualties, I don't see any violence there. If you're targeting civilians or carrying off an attack you should know will target civilians, that's violence.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:41 AM   #6314
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
So this Wagner organization that supposedly doesn’t exist has access to Russian hardware?
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #6315
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
He should have been able to glide to safety with the size of that hat!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #6316
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
So this Wagner organization that supposedly doesn’t exist has access to Russian hardware?
When was that photo taken? Guy's got a look on his on his face like he knows he's about to go on a mission he won't return from.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #6317
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is crazy that this is still grinding on. It is starting to feel like a new war in Iraq.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:44 AM   #6318
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep linking these videos because they keep being super relevant to public discussions.

No, the west is not about to run out of weapons because of Ukraine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 04:59 AM   #6319
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
The same Wagner organization that is founded and headed by Nazi's and funded by one of Putin's closest friends
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #6320
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got word from my MIL that they have power back in the village! Nobody knows how, but supposedly the Russians are taking credit for it (helping the locals out, of course ). We'll see if it lasts, but at least that is something positive during these ####tiest of times.

Edit - we learned that power will be allowed from 6am-8pm daily. For the first time in months, my wife's family can wash their clothes. They can turn on their heater. Charge their phones normally (they were using a solar charger before, which thankfully they had). As good as it is to hear this news, these are basic things that any human being should have access to. It's sad that we are at the point of celebrating these little things being "given" to them, which were taken from them by those ####ers in the first place.

They are still unable to leave though. Russians are firing on vehicles attempting to drive away, still have imposed curfews and little to no aid/supplies arriving. The counter-offensive at the far north of Kharkiv city by the border seems to have stalled after a few days of very intense fighting. Not sure what happens next.

Edit - Also heard that from May 30, evacuations will be allowed from their village. Told my wife we need to keep our expectations in check, as this was told by the Russians multiple times over the past few weeks (that evacuations were being organized), but nothing happened on those days.

Also heard that instead of artillery and explosions being heard around them today, it was firearms gun fire being heard. There have been situations recently where civilians were fired on, but the Telegram chat says this is more sustained automatic bursts of gunfire, so people there think it's more soldiers shooting at each other from close range. My own armchair general thoughts are that the UA forces are slowly creeping in.

Ultimately still have to wait and see how this plays out, as we've had our hopes smashed many times.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-25-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks