Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default Printable Drinks?

A company is introducing a machine to print drinks.

https://medium.com/@davefriedberg/ca...s-e18cdf7c1871

I wonder how Patrick Stewart feels about this?

Quote:
Fortunately, we have the power to transition to a new system of manufacturing. Thanks to scientific breakthroughs in flavor chemistry and engineering advances in fluidic technology, the global beverage and bottling supply chain can be rebuilt. We are entering the era of decentralized manufacturing.

Last edited by surferguy; 01-21-2022 at 01:20 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I'll believe it when I see it. Doesn't look like they even have a product yet, maybe a prototype in a lab but we're a long way out from it being commercialized.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #3
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

So everything will become artificial flavored sugar water.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
So everything will become artificial flavored sugar water.
Is this not 90% of drinks available in stores now?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this doesn't turn into that stupid juicer thing that came out a few years ago.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #6
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The world’s not ready for Baja Blast on demand. They were so preoccupied with if they could that they never stopped to ask themselves if they should.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #7
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

going to be a lot of money fighting this, if they plan on eliminating every current beverage manufacturer both alcoholic and non alcoholic. Not to mention the industries that rely on the current system.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

-Nestle has entered the chat-
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Hmm....I dunno. If this was possible wouldn't it have already happened? If there was an affordable way to make orange juice without using oranges, wouldn't someone already be doing it? All sorts of companies are trying, and the best we get is Sunny Delight. Even that has some juice in it.

Sounds like an artificial juice company trying to hype up their products. The research into what the human palate responds to sounds like marketing to me.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:41 PM   #10
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Hmm....I dunno. If this was possible wouldn't it have already happened? If there was an affordable way to make orange juice without using oranges, wouldn't someone already be doing it? All sorts of companies are trying, and the best we get is Sunny Delight. Even that has some juice in it.

Sounds like an artificial juice company trying to hype up their products. The research into what the human palate responds to sounds like marketing to me.
Right now they sound like that Theranos blood testing company that scammed everyone. Just sounds too good to be true.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:45 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? It sounds like a concept for a product that they are exploring. I think it's interesting you could re-create the flavour of wine from a few chemicals. Did you guys read the article?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really? It sounds like a concept for a product that they are exploring. I think it's interesting you could re-create the flavour of wine from a few chemicals. Did you guys read the article?
I did read it. They glossed over how they plan to reproduce complex organic molecules in a machine that the average consume can afford. There's some ability to "print" molecules. But what they are actually doing is using precursors to create related chemical compounds. These occur in large and expensive machines located in labs.

I mean it would be great if we had some Star Trek like technology where you could just ask for whatever beverage you wanted on the spot, but it sounds like the technology is a long ways away from there.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to figure out if I want to get mad at a bunch of buzzwords being used.

It "claims" 3D printing, but conceptually, it's basically going to be a machine that can take instructions on what compounds and ratios together to make drink crystals to add to water to make a specific repeatable flavored drink every single time. I'd consider it the next level of evolution of an auto bartender, but with compounds that are much more simple.

But what bugs me, is that IF this tech was available, why stop at drinks? You could make candy, cleaning products, medication/drugs, gels, cosmetics etc. Anything with a liquid in it, you could do.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I did read it. They glossed over how they plan to reproduce complex organic molecules in a machine that the average consume can afford. There's some ability to "print" molecules. But what they are actually doing is using precursors to create related chemical compounds. These occur in large and expensive machines located in labs.

I mean it would be great if we had some Star Trek like technology where you could just ask for whatever beverage you wanted on the spot, but it sounds like the technology is a long ways away from there.
It's really just exploring a concept they've shown to work in one instance(wine). Presumably you'd have cartridges with the precursors, and be able to make whatever those chemicals could. So it's an interesting idea, but ya, this would be a long ways down the road. If they tried to make it in the next 5 years, it'd be a watered down not very useful expensive device, I suspect. To me the interesting part is re-creating natural product flavours with a limited number of chemicals. I know they already do this, but the idea of doing it at home from a machine is kinda neat.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

soylent green?
Old 01-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's really just exploring a concept they've shown to work in one instance(wine). Presumably you'd have cartridges with the precursors, and be able to make whatever those chemicals could. So it's an interesting idea, but ya, this would be a long ways down the road. If they tried to make it in the next 5 years, it'd be a watered down not very useful expensive device, I suspect. To me the interesting part is re-creating natural product flavours with a limited number of chemicals. I know they already do this, but the idea of doing it at home from a machine is kinda neat.
I wonder if someone would build one to print out bespoke recreational drug tabs with perfect doses.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #17
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
But what bugs me, is that IF this tech was available, why stop at drinks? You could make candy, cleaning products, medication/drugs, gels, cosmetics etc. Anything with a liquid in it, you could do.
That might be partially regulatory. I imagine it's way easier to get approval to make a product that contains all the components necessary to make wine and also orange juice, compared to wine and also tylenol and also clorox and also nail polish remover.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #18
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
soylent green?
More like Brawndo!
Old 01-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmmm... this is my prediction about how this all turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
Arthur had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

The way it functioned was very interesting. When the Drink button was pressed it made an instant but highly detailed examination of the subject's taste buds, a spectroscopic examination of the subject's metabolism and then sent tiny experimental signals down the neural pathways to the taste centers of the subject's brain to see what was likely to go down well. However, no one knew quite why it did this because it invariably delivered a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #20
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

I wonder how Patrick Stewart feels about this?

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 01-21-2022 at 05:06 PM.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote