Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #201
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

The longer the delay in a deal the more you have to wonder if something big is in the works. Would think it would be easy to drop Brodie or Hamonic for picks if Tree wanted to. Believe the focus is on a hockey trade vs a salary dump.

Wonder if there is something big brewing with Winnipeg. We have players with history with Winnipeg (Hamonic/Frolik) and have to figure Winnipeg wants players who want to play there, given how they’ve been burned by pending ufas. Not sure how many trading partners can offer the Jets these kind of players.

Can see hamonic (for sure) and frolik (possibly) agreeable to extending there. Not sure about Brodie as a piece (has to be Brodie or Hamonic, not both) but a deal involving a combination of these players for Perreault and Ehlers with some other pieces involved (Janko/Bennett on our part) seems possible.

Apart from the much discussed Neal for either Lucic/Turris/Eriksson deals, believe options are limited. Maybe Wennberg from Columbus or Toffoli from LA? Are we interested or do they even move the needle, in the event that either team would be interested in these players?
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #202
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
The longer the delay in a deal the more you have to wonder if something big is in the works. Would think it would be easy to drop Brodie or Hamonic for picks if Tree wanted to. Believe the focus is on a hockey trade vs a salary dump.

Wonder if there is something big brewing with Winnipeg. We have players with history with Winnipeg (Hamonic/Frolik) and have to figure Winnipeg wants players who want to play there, given how they’ve been burned by pending ufas. Not sure how many trading partners can offer the Jets these kind of players.

Can see hamonic (for sure) and frolik (possibly) agreeable to extending there. Not sure about Brodie as a piece (has to be Brodie or Hamonic, not both) but a deal involving a combination of these players for Perreault and Ehlers with some other pieces involved (Janko/Bennett on our part) seems possible.

Apart from the much discussed Neal for either Lucic/Turris/Eriksson deals, believe options are limited. Maybe Wennberg from Columbus or Toffoli from LA? Are we interested or do they even move the needle, in the event that either team would be interested in these players?
I think picks is the backup plan. A trade is the primary plan.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #203
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I would like to keep Jankowski. He's one of the best PKers we have.
I'd say tied for the best PKing fw on the team. Janks and Lindholm and then an ever so slight drop to Backs and Frolik. And Hathaway carved himself a sweet little niche as a really great PK guy too.

Sam Bennett doesnt get enough respect as a pker either.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #204
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Might have something to do with Bennett not killing penalties. Bennett was 17th in SH TOI/GP with only 12 seconds of penalty kill time per game. With the loss of Hathaway and the imminent departure of Frolik we'll see if Peters has trust in Bennett to move up and slot into the top six forwards for penalty killing. I don't see the awareness and smarts required to kill penalties in Bennett. Bennett's strength is playing a north-south grinding game, which is not what penalty killing about. Being on the ice short-handed requires discipline, playing within the system, and the ability to read the play. Not how you describe Bennett's game. It also doesn't help when Bennett is the most penalized player on the team.

I suspect the next players to step up into the penalty killing roles are Dube and Mangipagne. Both are good at reading the play and both are very disciplined players. Their skill sets seem to lend themselves to killing penalties, providing benefit to the team from the lower lines, and keeping the top six fresh.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #205
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd say tied for the best PKing fw on the team. Janks and Lindholm and then an ever so slight drop to Backs and Frolik. And Hathaway carved himself a sweet little niche as a really great PK guy too.

Sam Bennett doesnt get enough respect as a pker either.
You missed a key cog.

Ryan was a stalwart with PK minutes and effectiveness for the Flames.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #206
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Think both are involved in "Plan A", one isn't exclusive to the other. There isn't a lot in the Flames system but two players in Andrew Mangiapane and Dillion Dube are ready for the NHL/bigger roles.
If you look at the playoff roster, Mangiapane was already in a regular role. If Frolik and Hathaway are gone, then two new players will need to play regular minutes. Hopefully one is Dube but he has yet to prove he is ready for the NHL. Maybe he does this year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #207
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
^^^ Might have something to do with Bennett not killing penalties. Bennett was 17th in SH TOI/GP with only 12 seconds of penalty kill time per game. With the loss of Hathaway and the imminent departure of Frolik we'll see if Peters has trust in Bennett to move up and slot into the top six forwards for penalty killing. I don't see the awareness and smarts required to kill penalties in Bennett. Bennett's strength is playing a north-south grinding game, which is not what penalty killing about. Being on the ice short-handed requires discipline, playing within the system, and the ability to read the play. Not how you describe Bennett's game. It also doesn't help when Bennett is the most penalized player on the team.

I suspect the next players to step up into the penalty killing roles are Dube and Mangipagne. Both are good at reading the play and both are very disciplined players. Their skill sets seem to lend themselves to killing penalties, providing benefit to the team from the lower lines, and keeping the top six fresh.
My guess is PK1 and PK2 will be Lindholm, Jankowski, Backlund, and Ryan. All of our centers. It'll be good to pair one of the RH centers with a LH one to try and take the draws on their strong side. This assuming that Frolik is gone.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #208
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

It really depends on what Peters does with the powerplay. He generally doesn't have players playing both units, and Bennett was on the PP last year.

Before he was on the powerplay he was unit three on the PK (two seasons ago)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #209
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It really depends on what Peters does with the powerplay. He generally doesn't have players playing both units, and Bennett was on the PP last year.

Before he was on the powerplay he was unit three on the PK (two seasons ago)
I dunno if that's true... Ryan, Backlund, Giordano, and Hanifin were staples of both teams last year

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #210
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I dunno if that's true... Ryan, Backlund, Giordano, and Hanifin were staples of both teams last year
Backlund didn't play a lot of PK (distant 5th for forwards), and Ryan was in and out of the PP all season.

Wasn't talking dmen. There are only six of them so options are limited.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #211
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Backlund didn't play a lot of PK (distant 5th for forwards), and Ryan was in and out of the PP all season.

Wasn't talking dmen. There are only six of them so options are limited.
Ryan was a staple on the 2nd PP all season.

He played considerably more minutes on each special team than Backlund.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #212
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not entirely sure Peters is trying to avoid double dipping with players on special teams so much as getting the best players on the ice while also managing overall ice time. As noted Ryan seemed to play both units but he’s not a huge 5 on 5 guy. A bunch of the offensive minded players on the team just don’t strike me as effective PKers.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #213
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe I have stated a few times that a guy like Hathaway should be utilized on the PK before the Flames finally threw him out there (competent coaching). Hathaway was tenacious enough and a good enough skater to be a natural fit, and he was indeed very good.

At any rate, I have always felt that your bottom 6 are the ones that should be utilized on the PK. Sure, Lindholm and Backlund are both VERY good PK'ers, but I would rather keep them fresher (and not have to use Neal on the top line for every shift after the PK, as I believe that line was completely neutralized from scoring last season).

Mangiapane is tenacious and quick enough - mould him into a 'Byron' type. I think he would be good at it. Dube seems like a natural fit with his acumen and his speed/tenacity. Jankowski is really good on the PK because of his skating (so underrated) as well as his smarts and his long reach. Ryan is so good with his FO ability and his smarts.

Save the top 6 for the PP, and to keep them more fresh out on the ice. It doesn't matter as much in today's NHL if your bottom 6 is undersized, but they have to be quick, they have to be tenacious, they have to be smart and they have to provide good minutes on the PK. Of course this is just my opinion, but I do think this is important.

Neal was terrible last season because he wasn't tenacious Maybe he was always gassed out (though even at the beginning of games at the start of his shifts, I don't ever recall him being effective either).

That's why I wasn't a big fan of the Duchene and Nylander options as trade/FA targets for the team. I want a certain amount of tenacity in conjunction with other skill-sets that players possess. Frolik is probably moving on, but he is absolutely tenacious at chasing that puck and impeding the opposing teams' breakouts. Backlund is tenacious. Tkachuk is tenacious on the forecheck (would like to see a bit more on the backcheck at times).

Ryan I felt was not nearly tenacious enough - dare I say he was at times even timid out there in the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the season. Suddenly he just became more tenacious out there and I think he had a hell of a 2nd half.

Gaudreau I found to be so much more tenacious out there this season. I thought was was way too passive under Gulutzan, especially on the backcheck. Gaudreau has been a much improved player under Peters, and I think it shows because he is way more committed to expending his energy all over the ice, not just offensively. Lindholm was incredibly tenacious at times, and at other times I found him lacking, especially towards the end of the season.

At any rate, I would have:
Mangiapane - Jankowski on PK1
Bennett - Ryan on PK2
Would like to see how the rest of the bottom 6 shake out to figure out PK3.

I want a team full of guys with non-stop motors in all zones. Guys that don't give up on plays. I think the Flames for the most part have that, and the guys that aren't are usually productive enough that it doesn't matter so much. I think that is why a guy like Neal stood out so much last season. I can't say that I am hopeful that his off-season training will do much to fix his game this upcoming season, but I do hope that people who think it will turn around are proven right.

Will be interesting to see how this roster shakes out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #214
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund is claiming that the Flames are preparing a trade offer to NJ that involves "Gaudreau + picks" for Hall.

I don't know why the Flames are the ones giving up picks when we are giving up the better player on a beauty contract, but I guess what he says goes in his fantasy world.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #215
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Eklund is claiming that the Flames are preparing a trade offer to NJ that involves "Gaudreau + picks" for Hall.

I don't know why the Flames are the ones giving up picks when we are giving up the better player on a beauty contract, but I guess what he says goes in his fantasy world.

Sure, Gaudreau + picks + more for one year of Hall.

That garbage would even be laughed off of HF.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #216
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Wow had to go check that out for myself. The Devils would need to add significantly to Hall if they want Gaudreau and his great contract and lack of injury history.

Honestly I am not sure what the Devils could realistically add to have that deal make sense? Obviously Hughes and Hischer would be assets the Flames covet but then the scales are tipped way in the Flames favor. Good thing it is BS
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #217
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Sure, Gaudreau + picks + more for one year of Hall.

That garbage would even be laughed off of HF.
To add,

Larry Brooks suggests that Hall will command 13M+ per on his next deal.

Sure thing Foster.

Quote:
For if Artemi Panarin, an elite talent, was able to attract a $96M offer from Columbus over eight years ($12M per season) and another from the Islanders for $87.5M over seven years ($12.5M per) before accepting the Rangers’ bid of $81.5M over seven years ($11.642M per) in a self-imposed limited field, then what do you suppose awaits Hall — the 2017-18 Hart Trophy winner, who could be expected to open up the proceedings to anyone with a good chance to win?

You begin at $13M per and watch the bidding escalate for this dynamic, difference-making winger — who will turn 28 on Nov. 14, 15 days after Panarin blows out the same number of candles on his birthday cake. That’s where you begin right now if you are Devils general manager Ray Shero, who would be taking a John Tavares-sized risk (or is that Garth Snow-sized?) in allowing No. 9 to play out the season without an extension.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/clock-...nd-the-devils/
Old 07-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #218
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take the under for a thousand
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #219
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trade that would make more sense for Calgary would be Monny and Neal for Hall (with an extension in place).

If they trade for Hall, it's to play with Johnny.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #220
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The trade that would make more sense for Calgary would be Monny and Neal for Hall (with an extension in place).

If they trade for Hall, it's to play with Johnny.
That doesn't make much sense to me at all. Gaudreau and Hall are both left wingers, and the Flames sans Monahan are suddenly woefully shallow at centre ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote