Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2024, 05:34 PM   #5041
dirk diggler
First Line Centre
 
dirk diggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I think the funniest schadenfreude to come out of the Vancouver loss is how timid and ineffective their superstar forward was and instead of jumping out the restaurant bathroom window after that showing the Canucks are married to him at an 11 mil/year price tag kicking in next season.

Hughes also looked and played like a shrimp.

Nothing like betting on and suffering through the wrong core. We experienced that. It sucks.
i feel like Hughes was banged up, he tried to make things happen. not sure if i would worry about him going forward but Petterson was embarrasing.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:57 PM   #5042
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Aquilini is sure gonna be real happy when he cuts Elias Pettersson a $12 million cheque in 5 weeks.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:11 PM   #5043
united
First Line Centre
 
united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Exp:
Default

I mean, in the 7-game series Hughes was on the ice for 2 of the Oilersí 24 goals while playing 25 minutes a night. Headline counting stats were a bit disappointing for sure and heíd like the Holloway miss back, but defensively it would be difficult to improve on what he did in aggregate over 7 games.

How about shots - that was one of the narratives right: Vancouver getting grossly outshot.

The Canucks outshot the Oilers 88-61 with Hughes on the ice; were outshot 142-61 with him on the bench.
Remove special teams. At 5-on-5, the Canucks outshot the Oilers 60-53 with Hughes on the ice versus getting outshot 100-51 with him on the bench.
__________________
"I think the eye test is still good, but analytics can sure give you confirmation: what you see...is that what you really believe?"
Scotty Bowman, 0 NHL games played
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:20 PM   #5044
butterfly
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: California
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I mean, in the 7-game series Hughes was on the ice for 2 of the Oilersí 24 goals while playing 25 minutes a night. Headline counting stats were a bit disappointing for sure and heíd like the Holloway miss back, but defensively it would be difficult to improve on what he did in aggregate over 7 games.

How about shots - that was one of the narratives right: Vancouver getting grossly outshot.

The Canucks outshot the Oilers 88-61 with Hughes on the ice; were outshot 142-61 with him on the bench.
Remove special teams. At 5-on-5, the Canucks outshot the Oilers 60-53 with Hughes on the ice versus getting outshot 100-51 with him on the bench.
Where did you find those numbers?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 10:38 PM   #5045
Oil Stain
Franchise Player
 
Oil Stain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I mean, in the 7-game series Hughes was on the ice for 2 of the Oilers’ 24 goals while playing 25 minutes a night. Headline counting stats were a bit disappointing for sure and he’d like the Holloway miss back, but defensively it would be difficult to improve on what he did in aggregate over 7 games.

How about shots - that was one of the narratives right: Vancouver getting grossly outshot.

The Canucks outshot the Oilers 88-61 with Hughes on the ice; were outshot 142-61 with him on the bench.
Remove special teams. At 5-on-5, the Canucks outshot the Oilers 60-53 with Hughes on the ice versus getting outshot 100-51 with him on the bench.
Yeah, sure, but that is because they sacrificed the rest of the team to get Hughes favorable match ups.

McDavid played 206 minutes 5v5. Hughes faced him 40 minutes.
Janmark played 100 minutes. Hughes faced him 32 minutes.


Imagine hiding your highest paid D-man from the other team's best players so you can run Tyler freaking Myers 70 minutes against McDavid.

So McDavid goes +6 at 5v5 and Hughes goes +1. Not a winning formula IMO.

You got a guy that is only taking offensive zone draws, and no PK time, 5 minutes of PP per game. Of course he's going to have good shot metrics.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 05-21-2024 at 10:44 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 11:27 PM   #5046
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player
 
TrentCrimmIndependent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Yeah, sure, but that is because they sacrificed the rest of the team to get Hughes favorable match ups.

McDavid played 206 minutes 5v5. Hughes faced him 40 minutes.
Janmark played 100 minutes. Hughes faced him 32 minutes.


Imagine hiding your highest paid D-man from the other team's best players so you can run Tyler freaking Myers 70 minutes against McDavid.

So McDavid goes +6 at 5v5 and Hughes goes +1. Not a winning formula IMO.

You got a guy that is only taking offensive zone draws, and no PK time, 5 minutes of PP per game. Of course he's going to have good shot metrics.
Sacrificed?

McDavid sucked in that series.

He wasn't enough of a factor that a coach needed to plan around averting that match up, really.

So many times lost high up in the d-zone at even strength when the Canucks scored a big goal. They'd best worry about sheltering his match ups against Dallas.

At least VAN was working to Hughes strengths.

Something EDM could learn to do with that 9.25M liability Nurse. What an albatross!

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 05-21-2024 at 11:32 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:46 AM   #5047
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

No, I agree with Oil Stain. Hughes' numbers look good, because he was sheltered. Or, if you don't like the word sheltered, he was given very favourable matchups.

Anyone who watched that series had to conclude that Hughes was a complete non-factor. He is VAN's best player, but what did he do to help them win the series? Nothing.

Second best player, Pettersson - what did he do to help them win? Jack ####.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:56 AM   #5048
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

If you want to clown Vancouver you don't have to go any further than Elias Pettersson. Their superstar forward who will be making 11.6m next season was completely invisible in this series, despite having some of the highest minutes of any of their forwards. He's looking like the next Mitch Marner, regular season hero who packs it in for the playoffs
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:57 AM   #5049
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player
 
Paulie Walnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Exp:
Default

Most teams want their best players to play the other team’s best players and have it kind of saw each other off and win with depth.

Just shows the lack of faith and trust or just plain poor coaching from tocchet.

You don’t see Makar being sheltered, he took it to McDavid in 2002. It’s why Hughes is not him the same conversation as Makar.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:32 AM   #5050
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback
 
bdubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Most teams want their best players to play the other teamís best players and have it kind of saw each other off and win with depth.

Just shows the lack of faith and trust or just plain poor coaching from tocchet.

You donít see Makar being sheltered, he took it to McDavid in 2002. Itís why Hughes is not him the same conversation as Makar.
I don't think either were in the league in 2002.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:13 AM   #5051
Blaster86
UnModerator
 
Blaster86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
He's looking like the next Mitch Marner, regular season hero who packs it in for the playoffs
Except he was amazing in the bubble play-offs run. He was also absolutely terrible from Mid February onwards.

This wasn't a play-off issue and is either much worse than it looks or he'll be back to normal in the future.
__________________

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:26 AM   #5052
activeStick
Franchise Player
 
activeStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Except he was amazing in the bubble play-offs run. He was also absolutely terrible from Mid February onwards.



This wasn't a play-off issue and is either much worse than it looks or he'll be back to normal in the future.
The bubble playoffs can't be seen as the same as normal playoffs. One of the biggest contributing factors to the emotions of the playoffs was removed in the bubble with no fans, no noise and way less pressure, as a result.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:38 AM   #5053
The Cobra
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you want to clown Vancouver you don't have to go any further than Elias Pettersson. Their superstar forward who will be making 11.6m next season was completely invisible in this series, despite having some of the highest minutes of any of their forwards. He's looking like the next Mitch Marner, regular season hero who packs it in for the playoffs
Of course Marner has 50 points in 57 playoff games including 25 in his last 25.

He's been better than the rest of the big 4.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:43 AM   #5054
The Cobra
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Most teams want their best players to play the other teamís best players and have it kind of saw each other off and win with depth.

Just shows the lack of faith and trust or just plain poor coaching from tocchet.

You donít see Makar being sheltered, he took it to McDavid in 2002. Itís why Hughes is not him the same conversation as Makar.
Most teams look for favorable matchups any place they can get it.

When Chicago was winning Stanley Cups, it was largely due to favorable matchups.

Bolland would centre the third line and play the other teams best scorers.

Towes would then take on the other teams next best scoring line.

Kane's line would run amuck with great matchups.

You seldom see the both teams best scoring lines playing each other, unless their centres are both Selke worthy.

It really depends on your best players strengths.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #5055
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player
 
TrentCrimmIndependent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Most teams want their best players to play the other team’s best players and have it kind of saw each other off and win with depth.

Just shows the lack of faith and trust or just plain poor coaching from tocchet.

You don’t see Makar being sheltered, he took it to McDavid in 2002. It’s why Hughes is not him the same conversation as Makar.
Or in Edmonton's case, double/triple shift your top guys after the saw-off because you have no depth.

If any team should have seen wear & tear injuries to key players, it's these a-holes.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:53 AM   #5056
Shazam
Franchise Player
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memento Mori
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Of course Marner has 50 points in 57 playoff games including 25 in his last 25.

He's been better than the rest of the big 4.
Second assist/EN goals.
__________________
If you don't pass this sig to ten of your friends, you will become an Oilers fan.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:09 PM   #5057
Blaster86
UnModerator
 
Blaster86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The bubble playoffs can't be seen as the same as normal playoffs. One of the biggest contributing factors to the emotions of the playoffs was removed in the bubble with no fans, no noise and way less pressure, as a result.

I don't buy that, but fine. He also lead his SHL team in scoring and won play-off MVP in his rookie season.


I just don't think it was an issue with pressure in regards to the level of games. Like I said, this is either a much worse problem than just play-off anxiety or he's going to be back to normal next year no matter the level of games.
__________________

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 12:10 PM   #5058
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
dino7c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Pete just isn't that good...guy weighs 75 pounds he isn't going to be a consistent high end scorer in the NHL
__________________
GFG
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:28 PM   #5059
Oil Stain
Franchise Player
 
Oil Stain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The bubble playoffs can't be seen as the same as normal playoffs. One of the biggest contributing factors to the emotions of the playoffs was removed in the bubble with no fans, no noise and way less pressure, as a result.
There was also a 5 month break between the regular season and the playoffs.

Guys wouldn't have been in proper game conditioning heading into the first round. No way the intensity would have been the same.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:32 PM   #5060
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Zary's-Mustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Exp:
Default

I bet they wished they had a true sniper. Maybe we could have offered them Kuzmenko...
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021