Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 04:09 PM   #81
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I remember when the third period ended, a buddy of mine called me up and said he was going to drive over to my place to watch the OT. He lived about 20 minutes away from me. Needless to say, he missed the goal.
I was in the end the tying and winning goals were scored on. I hung my head in my hands during the entire intermission after the tying goal and just sat there, honestly thinking the Forum Curse was real.

Then there is a picture of me on the front cover of the Province Sports section (the back of that paper) jumping up after Gelly's goal, and my prior roommate is the one who is sad.
I am one of two Flames sweaters in the photo, directly up from Chris Clark's head. Two other Flames' fans in the photo, and a bunch of sad Canuck fans....

I should really get it framed...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:16 PM   #82
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Oh man. I remember actually crying a little bit when Iginla tripped on that jersey to miss the EN and BMo tied the game with a handful of seconds left. Then minutes later running out to the street to scream when Gelinas stuffed it in.

My parents couldn't pronounce 'Kiprusoff' either. They ended up called him "Keepers out", which I thought was hilariously appropriate.
Matt Cooke with 5.7 seconds left

I will never forget that
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:25 PM   #83
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh right, guess I had that confused with the triple OT game... that one was a doozy too
Old 04-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #84
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great memories of that run. Was a part of the best year of my life I’d say.

A good reminder of how it’s not always about the destination, it’s the journey that matters. A Stanley Cup championship would have been amazing, and the team was fully deserving of their spot in history and the celebration the Cup would have ensured.

But it doesn’t diminish their accomplishments. How they revived hockey in this city, possibly saving the franchise. How they gave us two months of excitement and parties, that have turned into muddled memories we all look back on fondly. Just a great group and a great time to be a hockey fan. And we will all always love that team. Cup or no Cup.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #85
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 04-03-2024, 05:46 PM   #86
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot about Oliwa. He was the law.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:07 PM   #87
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two things stuck with me from that run:

Being so mad after the Nucks jersey was thrown on the ice in game 7 regulation time tripping Iggy and basically Cooke immediately going end to end and scoring. I wanted to throw my TV out the window.

Not sure which game but it was in the final - but I remember the flames were at home. Kerry Fraser called a 2 man advantage against the flames in the opening minutes of the game. Tampa scored and the game ended 1-0.

I remember turning off the TV game 7 when it was 2-0. I turned it back on at 2-1. I was heartbroken, I couldn't believe we lost that series, and it was so bittersweet because the CUP WAS IN THE DOME the previous game. Such a shame looking back.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:09 PM   #88
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This fataing beautiful man:

Just remembered another memory. He found himself alone in front I remember VS Detroit and absolutely undressed Cujo. That was a great goal.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 06:22 PM   #89
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just remembere the city feeling so alive and everyone was so happy. High fives up and down the red mile. Hell, seemed like everyone was wearing thier flames jerseys all over.

Sent from my SM-F731W using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PuckSlap For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 06:46 PM   #90
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Oh man. I remember actually crying a little bit when Iginla tripped on that jersey to miss the EN and BMo tied the game with a handful of seconds left. Then minutes later running out to the street to scream when Gelinas stuffed it in.

My parents couldn't pronounce 'Kiprusoff' either. They ended up called him "Keepers out", which I thought was hilariously appropriate.
I couldn’t handle it
I was watching at a pub and when they scored I left. Drove home with the radio off and when I hit 17th ave a few flames fans were hitting the street and that’s when I flipped on the radio to find out they won
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:16 PM   #91
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a great thread btw. Have so many memories to share when I have the time.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:35 PM   #92
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember Conroy calling into the Fan to talk to Rob Kerr after the Canucks were eliminated? Gelly's series winning goal against Detroit - you can see me jumping up behind the glass. I knew it was going in. Gosh, so many memories.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:04 PM   #93
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw some home games live, remember playoff games live? The energy was crazy. Everyone had jerseys. I’ve always had them, but I think Calgary is the first city that made them popular in the arena.

My pool team won a trip to the big tournament in Vegas that year. We took over the bar at the Stardust and sang the national anthem at the top of our lungs.

Fantastic time. Still miffed about the result.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:22 PM   #94
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Omg.. this is amazing.

Lol Spider-Man 2 commercials. That is some throwback.

And wow, first thing that sticks out is how far the HNIC broadcast quality has fallen since then. And it goes without saying I don't mean picture quality.

It was iconic then. And when you consider that every one and their dog was gathered in front of a TV to watch. It made these games an Event. Everything else stopped for it (at least in Calgary and some parts of Canada... they were dubbed Canada's team)
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #95
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It was a good time to be 19

That run was some of my greatest memories to date. Partied like an absolute animal and probably picked up some life long bad habits. The run cemented me as a Flames fan for life and has led to a ridiculous amount of time and money invested in this team.

Pretty disappointing to live through the minimal success we have seen since. I have my fingers crossed that when the Flames win the cup again it will make it all that more sweet.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 01:19 AM   #96
Britflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was on an operational tour in Iraq for most of the playoffs. Used to get up early to go to the internet hut and then sit and read Calgarypuck whilst the game was on. Poor old F5 used to get a battering. Only problem was if the game went to overtime I had to leave to get into work. Then I would run across and log in at a coffee break to find out the final score. It made the last month of my tour pass quicker and I was home to watch the final when in those days in uk you could hardly see the puck on the tv as resolution was terrible. It would be nice to see another run like that at least once. Makes you realise just how bad the Flames have been for 20 years.
Britflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Britflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 03:36 AM   #97
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I was 10 when the 04 run happened. I remember I was on a camping field trip and the teachers woke us up when Gelinas eliminated Detroit. My friends and I made signs and held them up outside of his house as cars drove by and honked at us. Sucks I was too young to experience the red mile. Still a fun year of my childhood
Old 04-04-2024, 06:20 AM   #98
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the game tying "goal" the canucks scored in game 7 is one of the dirtiest hockey plays in history.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:26 AM   #99
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the most fun and entertaining times of my life. That run solidified my fandom and turned me from a very casual fan into a hardcore fan for 20 years. I was living in residence at UofC for the Canucks series and I had a lot of friends from BC so it was a heated series to say the least. When school wrapped up my buddy and I rented a place in Kensington and either went to the pub, or had people over for the games. Watching them on a 27inch tube TV and not having a problem with it.

I got to go to game 3 and game 6 of the first round so saw 2 losses but the game 6 loss had the epic 4 goal comeback and triple OT loss.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 07:30 AM   #100
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can honestly say this run created some of the best memories of my life. I went to every home game with my dad, who is now passed and whenever i look back on those times I have instant happiness. The city was out of control, suits wearing their jerseys to work, bars packed to capacity and the red mile of course.

Such a shame they didnt take it in game 6, i cant even imagine the dome if they did. Im thankful to have those memories especially with my Dad, the flames were our bonding time, season tickets since 1995 so 10 years of suffering was worth it just for that. I dont think there will ever be anything like that again.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post: