Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #81
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I was under the impression it is like the other drafts - snake. If not I'll take it but I think it is.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #82
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I've created a Google spreadsheet to keep the picks straight.

I've opened it up so that anyone can edit or view so help yourselves.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k..._DZF6bPsaLDtJg
I like it. Good job.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #83
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
Awesome draft, I wish I was in this one. But is it really not a snake style system?
IMO thats pretty unfair, as HD is going to have much better odds than proto of making a good team.
But hey Girly you have a lot of experience running these things, so I should just trust the expert.
It's been discussed. People said the snake system causes too much delay.
For example if you were HD, you make 1 pick and then have to wait for 40 picks, then pick 2 picks then wait for another 40 picks.

I think that the other drafts have died due to lack of interest from the head and tailend.

So for this draft we're just going to go straight through.
It's unfair but it's not a competition either. It's just a fun, learning exercise.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #84
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO a snake is much better. Anyway....
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #85
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The way it is now, everyone picks 20 picks from their last pick. With the other drafts (snake style), some people were finding themselves going 2-3 weeks in between picks, which just slowed down interest and delayed things for everyone else.

This way (straight through), everyone picks at the same interval and it (theoretically) should flow a lot smoother.

(Are there even any sports drafts that go snake style? I know the NHL doesn't.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-03-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #86
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

for our first pick, under the category of mini series, Team is proud to select the fantastic 10 part Band of Brothers.

Wow, where to start? I don't think I've enjoyed a television experience more than this one. Fantastic cast, great storyline. I loved the inclusion of the real men the story was based upon. By the end, you felt like you'd experienced the whole thing with them.

Anyone who doesn't think much of David Schwimmer's acting abilities needs to see this. Frank John Hughes as Wild Bill Guarnere might have been my favourite character. Damain Lewis and Ron Livingstone.....so many others.

If you have not seen this, go buy it immediately.

here's the wiki rundown:

Band of Brothers is a ten-part television World War II mini-series based on the book of the same title written by historian and biographer Stephen Ambrose. It was co-produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks after their successful collaboration on the Academy Award winning World War II film, Saving Private Ryan (1998).[4] The mini-series first aired in 2001 on HBO and still runs frequently on various TV networks around the world.[5][6]
The mini-series centers on the experiences of E Company ("Easy Company") of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, United States Army 101st Airborne Division from Easy's basic training at Toccoa, Georgia, through the American airborne landings in Normandy, Operation Market Garden, the Battle of Bastogne and on to the end of the war.[4]
The events portrayed in the mini-series are based on Ambrose's research and recorded interviews with Easy Company veterans. A lot of literary license has been taken with the episodes, and other reference books will highlight the differences between recorded history and the film version.[7] All of the characters portrayed in the mini-series are based on actual members of Easy Company; some of them can be seen in prerecorded interviews as a prelude to each episode (their identities, however, are not revealed until the close of the finale).
A new 10-part mini-series from the creators of Band of Brothers (Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman), called The Pacific, is in development. The new mini-series will focus on the Pacific Theater of Operations and the United States Marine Corps. The project is due out in 2009, although this is subject to change.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers

Last edited by habernac; 11-03-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #87
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
(Are there even any sports drafts that go snake style? I know the NHL doesn't.)
I don't think so, but then again, they aren't drafting teams from scratch.

Most fantasy pools draft snake style. There are some that snake the first 2 rounds then go regular the rest of the way (i.e. only round 2 is inverted)
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #88
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
Awesome draft, I wish I was in this one. But is it really not a snake style system?
IMO thats pretty unfair, as HD is going to have much better odds than proto of making a good team.
But hey Girly you have a lot of experience running these things, so I should just trust the expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
I was under the impression it is like the other drafts - snake. If not I'll take it but I think it is.
No snake this time. It was requested by a few of the participants in the workshop thread, and not opposed by anyone.

I don't see how it gives anyone any real advantage. It's not like a hockey pool where the 22nd player chosen is almost always going to have better stats than the 42nd player chosen.

This sort of draft has no stats. It's all about building the best overall team in whichever way you choose to do it. Some will choose to go after the best possible choice at the moment, which could leave them some weak choices to fill out categories later. Others will choose to fill out difficult categories early, thinking that they'd rather have the 21st best sitcom and the best game show than the other way around.

I say this as one of the people who would have the most to gain by going with the snake style. Personally, I don't mind at all. Even choosing 20th, I'll be able to make a first pick in a category, if I so choose. Over the course of the draft, everyone will make one of the first five picks in a few of the categories; everyone will make one of the last five picks in a few of the categories; and everyone will make some middle-of-the-road picks in the rest of the categories.

Looking at the movie draft, I don't think my team would be significantly different had it been a straight draft rather than a snake.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #89
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Pre-1980 category, team "Watching Through the Static" picks WKRP in Cincinatti

This show only ran 4 seasons, and was a victim of being bounced around the schedule. But once in syndication it really found its legs and from the Phone Cops, to, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." this series only gets better and better.

http://www.toybox.ca/~suzannes/tvquotes/wkrp/index.html

If only they could release it to DVD with the original soundtrack.*sigh*
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #90
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn you, Bobblehead!!!

(Although, I wasn't planning on picking it this round, and didn't really think it would last to the point where I would pick it)

"Give it to me straight, Doctor, I can take it."
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #91
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Silly of me to think WKRP would be available until my next pick. Nice pick, Bobblehead.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #92
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Dion had expressed interest in the draft. Then backed out cause he wasn't sure he had time, then thought he might have time.

And now he would like to be in.

And since he "not a casual user" and everyone's favorite.

We'll slot him in 22nd.

--

That's IT!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #93
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Thanks GS!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #94
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since it was me that first broached the 'straight' draft concept I'll take some responsibility for it. I would have been fine picking last quite honestly, I just luckily ended up 2nd. Does it make a huge difference anyway? I don't think so. Honestly, how many of you would have taken 'Fawlty Towers' with your first pick? I'm willing to bet that nobody would have. Everyone drafts differently and it's not a competition in any case. It's about have fun and perhaps learning about some shows you might not have seen before. I've never seen "The Shield" but will definitely give it a go now.

I didn't enjoy waiting weeks to pick in the movie draft and then getting two quick choices, just because I was 3rd to pick. Spaced out more evenly is much better. My movie team would not look any different probably in any case, snake or no snake. I've chosen some movies that likely weren't on other teams radars in the first place.

Bottom line, this is just about fun. As far as winners go, I think we all are since this is such a great concept. Thanks Girly once again for starting these awesome threads.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #95
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

With our first round pick, team MattyC (better name hopefully coming) is happy to select in the Sitcom (Comedy) category Friends

One of the best shows of our time, since its series finale there has yet to be a sitcom that even holds a candle to this and other sitcoms of the 90's.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
With our first round pick, team MattyC (better name hopefully coming) is happy to select in the Sitcom (Comedy) category Friends

One of the best shows of our time, since its series finale there has yet to be a sitcom that even holds a candle to this and other sitcoms of the 90's.
Damn you! I should have known there was no way this was making it's way out of the first round, though.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #97
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry to say, but I'm not really a fan of Friends, but I have a team name suggestion for you, Matty.
Team Whuppah!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #98
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I always loved Joeys reaction to the Whuppah thing.

"You can't DO ANYTHING!"

Mrs. Chanandaler Bong was my favourite though!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #99
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol thats pretty good. Ya people have a love/hate relationship with Friends. But you have to admit that it is one of the best shows ever. Its like I absolutly hate rap music, but I can admit when someone is good at it and respect it. I was goona wait to see if it dropped til next round and draft another choice but hopefully that will drop. Kinda choked were not doing the snake style
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #100
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

No time while I'm at work to be flowery about this but Team TV Guide would like to call to the podium for our 1st round pick, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart in the Talk Show category.

(I'll move it later if there is outrage...)

While very proud of this pick, at this time I'd also like to pass along a good-natured "&#&@ you!" to all my fellow competitors who took pretty much all of my other top picks! (But I do say it with love...LOL!)