Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default CP Television Show Draft! - EVERYONE'S AK'D!! PICK NOW!! TO REACH 20

Welcome to the CP Television Show Draft!

Notes: Thread title will display the next 3 picks so if you see your name it's either your turn or pretty close
Time limit is 10 hours for this draft.

Draft order was determined by this.

Draft Board

Workshop Thread

We are in Round 14:

287. HalifaxDrunk
288. Jagger
289. Displaced Flames fan
290. Flamesguy_SJ
291. Sadora
292. MissTeeks
293. liamenator
294. Maritime Q-Scout
295. FanIn80
296. Ro
297. Barnes
298. Flash
299. habernac
300. Bobblehead
301. MattyC
302. JerzeeGirl
303. EasternGirl
304. WindomURL
305. superflyer
306. getbak
307. prottotype
308. Dion

Here are the RULES:

Objective: to draft the team consisting of the best TV shows

Draft straight through to fill the following 20 categories:

Action/Adventure
Comedy (Sitcom)
Comedy (Open)
Pre-1980 (the show started pre-80)
Drama
Canadian
Crime/Law
Cartoon
Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Medical
Talk Show
Mini-series/TV Movie
Reality (elimination)
Reality (ongoing)
Game show
Soap Opera/Serials
Education/Information
World (outside Canada and US)
Wildcard
Wildcard

22 teams and 20 categories.

Trades! you can make trades but the it has to be zero-sum since every team needs 20 shows. For example Team A can trade the 1st and 40th pick to Team B for the 5th and 6th pick. Even after you have selected a shows you can trade. There is no trade deadline however there will be no trades allowed after the very last pick.
Both parties must send the trade details to me.

Make use of PMs and the chatroom to negotiate.

Switching!
At any time you can switch a show from one category to another if it qualifies for it.

--

When you are selecting please state in BOLD letters who you are selecting and in what category.

example: With the 1st overall pick of the draft, GirlySport's In-Box selects ......... in the World category.

And you can use a paragraph to state your case of why you made this selection and convince everyone why this show was great. You've seen how it's been done in the other drafts. We're all here to learn!

--

Ass-kickin'!: When it's your turn you have 15 hours to select. After 15 hours the draft will continue on until you come back and pick. Your name will have brackets around it in the thread title. If your turn is coming up and you are away, please send 3 choices to me and I will select for you.

- If you see a name in the thread title with a * beside it, that means they have submitted their pick to the commish.

That's pretty much it. Any questions you can ask in here or PM me...

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-07-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: always editing
Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

With the 1st overall pick in the TV Draft team Jumped the Shark is happy to select in the Pre-1980 category one the of Greatest shows in television history:

M*A*S*H

M*A*S*H was a weekly half-hour situation comedy, sometimes described as “dark comedy” or a "dramedy," because of the dramatic subject material often presented (the term "dramedy," although coined in 1978, was not in common usage until after M*A*S*H had gone off the air). The show was an ensemble piece revolving around key personnel in a United States Army Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH; the asterisks in the name are meaningless) in the Korean War (1950–1953).

The 4077th MASH was just one of several surgical units in Korea. As the show developed, the writing took on more of a moralistic tone. While the show was mostly comedy, there were many episodes of a more serious tone. Stories were both plot and character driven. Most of the characters were draftees, with dramatic tension often occurring between them and "Regular Army" characters, either among the cast or as guest stars.

If you really needed me to give a writeup then you shouldn't be reading this thread.

Theme Song - Suicide is Painless

Too many great quotes - here are a few:

Frank Burns: Why does everyone take an instant dislike to me?
Trapper: It saves time, Frank.

Hawkeye: [Pierce, who was blinded earlier in the episode, calls out] Is there a doctor in the house?
Frank Burns: What is it, Pierce?
Hawkeye: Oh, Frank, I'm glad you're here - go get a doctor.

Frank Burns: Funny thing, war: never have so many suffered so much so so few could be so happy.
Margaret: We're lucky to be two of the few and not the many.
Frank Burns: I know, darling, and I love being both of us.

Charles: Klinger, you are a gentleman and a lady.

[both drunk, under fire, in a foxhole]
Col. Potter: I said fire that weapon.
Hawkeye: All right.
[to the gun]
Hawkeye: You're fired.
[to Potter]
Hawkeye: I did it as gently as I could.
Col. Potter: That was an order, Pierce.
Hawkeye: [Snapping his fingers] Oh waiter, would you take this man's order, please?

PA System: Due To circumstances beyond our control, lunch will be served today.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

best
show
ever
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

I knew when I saw where I was going to be picking that I wouldn't have a chance at getting MASH - what a fitting/great pick as #1 HD....
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yep. Tough to top that as a #1. Awesomest show ever.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I must be in the minority of people who didn't like MASH. At all.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked it at first, but like Bono of U2, Alan Alda's act wore thin after awhile.
But the series finale was something else... biggest audience for a TV show ever, IIRC.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the 2nd overall pick Jagger's team yet to be named is proud to select my favourite SITCOM of all time:

FAWLTY TOWERS

This series only lasted two seasons (12 episodes) but that was John Cleese's choice as he wanted to keep the quality at an extremely high level. It doesn't matter how many times I watch this show my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072500/

Germans:

Classic Scenes:

Mrs. Richards:

How to manage your staff:

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

the German episode makes me cry I laugh so hard. Great choice, one of the best comedies for certain.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man that was a great show. Kudos to you, Jagger
Old 10-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm gonna out on a limb here saying that I'm probably the one person on this board who didn't like Mash.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

"Hallo! I speak English! I learn it from a book!"
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post
I'm gonna out on a limb here saying that I'm probably the one person on this board who didn't like Mash.
No, you aren't alone. I gave it a try and watched a couple episodes, but I just couldn't get into it. Got a chuckle out of me here and there, but I wasn't really big on it.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
No, you aren't alone. I gave it a try and watched a couple episodes, but I just couldn't get into it. Got a chuckle out of me here and there, but I wasn't really big on it.
well I'm glad it ain't just me.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
best
show
ever
Agreed. I figured that the only way to get it on my team was to have the randomizer be not so random and pick me to be first again! Dang it. Great pick Hal.

Fawlty Towers is classic British comedy. Absolutely wonderful stuff and anyone who hasn't watched any of it should do it ASAP. Great pick Jagger.

Now I will quit fellating you two and get to my own pick!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Displaced ypure supposed to be picking the the Movie Thread!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #17
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the 3rd pick in the Calgarypuck.com TV draft I am proud to select in the category of Crime/Law, The Shield.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...ield/#Nav/Home

I have to take this here with M*A*S*H* gone because there is no way it lasts until my next pick. There was another option here, but I just can't justify that pick over The Shield and I am pretty sure it will be gone in Round 1.

The Shield had the advantage of being a late night cable series. They could push the violence, sex and language envelope further than most cop shows, and they did. It helped, but it is certainly not the reason I became addicted to the show.

Firstly, it is superbly cast with Michael Chiklis in the lead role of Strike Team leader Detective Vic Mackey, the awesome Walton Goggins as detective Shane Vendrell, Kenny Johnson as Detective Curtis Lemanski and David Rees Snell as Detective Ronnie Gardocki. Add to that the wonderful performances of Jay Karnes and CCH Pounder as Detectives Waggenbach and Wyms and you have a solid cast that delivers in every episode.

This series has no filler episodes. The story begins and moves forward through each and every episode, sometimes in shocking fashion. The dialogue and storylines are superb and, I believe, more realistic than any fictional cop show that's been on TV.

Speaking of realism, the show is shot with very few extras and usually with no public notice. When things happen on the street with the Strike Team it is being filmed with genuine public reactions. When the story calls for extras with speaking parts the producers use people on the street, not actors, as much as possible. All of this contributes to the realistic feel of the show.

I could talk about the show for days, it's that good. I recommend it to everyone, but don't start in the middle or start with this season. Rent the DVD's by season and watch them in as short a timespan as possible. It's the best way to experience the show and get into the story.

Ultimately, this show is about the line between right and wrong and how difficult it is to determine where that line is drawn. Where you draw it at episode 1 and where you draw it during season 7 might surprise you!

One of the best scenes of the series, IMO...from Season 4. NSFW

A good example of filming without a set

Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Displaced ypure supposed to be picking the the Movie Thread!
Oh good grief! I'll head over there now!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post
Nope, you're not alone...I posted a few before you saying the exact same thing. I never liked it either.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more comment about M*A*S*H*...

To this day, I can't watch the series finale without crying.