Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default What's Your Favourite TED Talk

I did a quick search on the topic of TED Talks, there was a thread started in 2011, but rather than bump that I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm curious what people's favourite TED Talk are.

I've definitely been on a TED Talk kick lately, and am always looking to broaden my horizons.

I did notice that a CPer (DataDoxy) has a TED Talk, and I'll be checking that out tomorrow.

I must admit my favourite TED speakers are likely Rory Sutherland, Janine Driver and Simon Sinek. Drew Dudley (who I have seen speak before) is great. Mark Hennick's talk on suicide is amazing.

Essentially I'm trying to compile a list of videos for myself (mostly to listen to around the house, shoveling the drive way, folding laundry, etc).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

This is a must view for anyone who struggles with why people commit suicide

Quote:
About the Speaker:

Mark Henick is a mental health advocate. Informed by his direct experience with this aspect of the health care system, Mark has authored commentaries on issues relating to mental health for major newspapers across Canada and the U.S. His undergraduate degree is in Psychology and Philosophy, with a graduate degree in Child Development. At 22, he served as the youngest President of a provincial Canadian Mental Health Association division in history. He is the youngest member of the board of directors for the Mental Health Commission of Canada.

Bingo's wife has an excellent talk on math as a social justice. Talks about her experiences as a teacher in the classroom.

Quote:
Have you ever considered math as a human rights issue? Have you ever considered what the label “stupid” can do to a student? In this heart-felt and hard-hitting talk, Dr. Gina Cherkowski talks about how traditional math classes only reach 20% of students thereby creating a population that can only be consumers, not creators. Dr. Cherkowski goes on to talk about how teachers can change this math drought by revisioning the math class so that everyone can learn math.

Dr. Cherkowski is a mathematics education learning activist and researcher. She believes that all kids can be and must be mathematically literate citizens in order to reap the rewards and overcome the challenges of our rapidly changing, data-rich, technologically-advanced world. Dr. Cherkowski conducts research on the neuroscience of learning mathematics inside the complexities of today’s classrooms to advance her goal of ensuring ALL students are mathematically literate.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha, I went on a TED talk spree a few years ago, also mostly while doing housework (like ironing). I enjoyed quite a few, but when you brought it up, I couldn't remember many that stood the test of time. The one talk that I can say had a meaningful impact on my life was Andy Puddicombe talking about meditation and mindfulness. Prior to watching this talk, I thought of meditation as some weird hippie juju. His explanation was truly eye-opening for me, and made me realize that meditation was sort of the exact opposite of what my impression was. Since watching this talk, I have delved much deeper into the subject and now see that it is a real thing with real value.

This is one of those things where the best time to start was 20 years ago. The second best time to start is now.

Last edited by gottabekd; 03-15-2019 at 11:14 PM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Mark's from my hometown. I know exactly the bridge he talks about.

I also didn't realize that Gina Cherkowski was Bingo's wife. Very cool. Can't wait to check it out, perhaps once Sesame Street is over.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Susan Cain and her talk on being an introvert. That and her book "Quiet" made a huge difference in my life.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hans Rosling: The Best Stats You've Ever Seen

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosli...u_ve_ever_seen

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one... it isn't necessarily life-changing so much as just... fun.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Susan Cain and her talk on being an introvert. That and her book "Quiet" made a huge difference in my life.

This for certain...

https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain...ce=tedcomshare
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I absolutely love Caitlin Doughty aka Ask a Mortician. Her frank attitude towards death and what everyone should really do with their own death plans is so refreshing. You should all give this a watch and keep an open mind. And also check out her YouTube channel. it's really great.

Edit: and another great one.

Last edited by Nyah; 03-17-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This one... it isn't necessarily life-changing so much as just... fun.

This isn’t a TED Talk but Bobby McFerrein demonstrates how we’re all connected by music using the pentatonic scale.

I love Reggie Watts’ talk.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #11
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to remember as I've watched and enjoyed many of them but off the top of my head, The Power of Vulnerability jumps out as a really good one.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only do I enjoy the topic, but I also had several classes with Dr. Glasberg during my time at the U of C. Brilliant man.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote