Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #61
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did a search on here and this looks like the best place to ask.

I have a 9 and 7 year old who just finished their first skiing lessons at COP and fell in love with it. I have never skied in my life and know nothing about this world and have a few questions:

Where can I get them good but cheap, used gear? We'd need everything except the helmet and goggles, which were bought before lessons. I had one friend tell me about a Sportchek trade in system. I've also heard ?Max Bell? had a big sale sometime. What's my best option and when?

Also...my son is a 120 for ski size (I'm guessing that's cms, right?)
Is there any point in me buying that size right now for the rest of this year or would/could he most likely need a bigger size by next year?

COP works well, because we're in the NW and they have a 2 day sale for the remainder of the year. Any other advice on when the best time to buy passes for next year (COP and some off the closer mountains) would be greatly appreciated.

I really am clueless to all of this. Other than swimming, both kids havent shown much interest in any sport but clearly took well to the lessons and fell in love with it. I'd like to pursue this quickly but wanna know the best and cheapest ways to do it,

Where does one start?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #62
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Im actually just starting to get into skiing too and just bought my first set of gear. I'd do some research on boots as I think that's the most important part of your gear for someone starting out. You want to be sized properly for comfort, flex, skill level.

Im going to purchase the COP pass for the rest of the year. Seems like a good deal considering it's close and easy to get too so that I can get out a lot this year. Nakiska apparently has a really good season pass deal that they sell at the end of each season so be on the look out for that. For your kid I would look into sport rent. They have a good price for kids to rent gear for the full ski season. Then you don't have to worry about them outgrowing their equipment in one season.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #63
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ski sale at max bell happens in later October every year. I have never been, but have heard it gets picked over quickly.

Places like sportchek do have buy and trade arrangements. I believe the ski cellar does as well.

Can always search Kijiji for used stuff, but I think to make good used purchases you need to know what you are looking at.

It can be worth spending some extra money to get a better fit and advice at a specific ski shop
Old 02-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #64
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey JonDuke,
I manage Sports Rent in town along with Fleuryisgod. (I don't know if this kind of post is ok or not)

We do a season Junior ski package of Skis and boots for $170. You can keep the gear until End of May and then return it.
Just another option for you.

The University of Calgary Outdoor centre also has this option. I don't know the price off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

I have a 9 and 7 year old who just finished their first skiing lessons at COP and fell in love with it. I have never skied in my life and know nothing about this world and have a few questions:

Where can I get them good but cheap, used gear? We'd need everything except the helmet and goggles, which were bought before lessons. I had one friend tell me about a Sportchek trade in system. I've also heard ?Max Bell? had a big sale sometime. What's my best option and when?

Is there any point in me buying that size right now for the rest of this year or would/could he most likely need a bigger size by next year?

COP works well, because we're in the NW and they have a 2 day sale for the remainder of the year. Any other advice on when the best time to buy passes for next year (COP and some off the closer mountains) would be greatly appreciated.

I really am clueless to all of this. Other than swimming, both kids havent shown much interest in any sport but clearly took well to the lessons and fell in love with it. I'd like to pursue this quickly but wanna know the best and cheapest ways to do it,

Where does one start?

Last edited by slots881; 02-18-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Wrong price
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #65
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I really am clueless to all of this. Other than swimming, both kids havent shown much interest in any sport but clearly took well to the lessons and fell in love with it.
This is awesome!

There's a good chance your kids will need bigger skis next year, so I would suggest waiting to buy. And even then, you might want to think twice about buying outright — the ski package posted above sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. My parents did something similar when I was learning to ski. Kids grow fast, so buying new gear every year can get pricey.

Please do check out a proper ski shop though (I'm including SportRent in this category, but Ski Cellar is also excellent). Sizing boots is important, and you'll want good advice to get your kids started on the right, err.. foot.

Max Bell is a good option to investigate (every year, in October), but considering you've mentioned how little you know about skiing, I'd suggest giving it a year or so before buying skis/boots there. The worst thing you can do for your kids is buy them boots that don't fit, or a ski that's too much for their current ability.

(and yes, skis are sized in cm )

p.s. if you're not a skier, you should take a lesson or two yourself so you can ski with them! It's a great family activity.

Last edited by Flames0910; 02-17-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #66
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

Where does one start?
You can check out play it again sport for cheap used skis and boots as a starting point. They have a good selection at westhills. Once the kids confirm their interest, ski cellar has a better trade in program than sportchek.
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #67
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sorry, wrong price for the Seasonal Rentals. They are actually $170, which makes it even more affordable!
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #68
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

looking to go to Fernie on the March 23rd weekend. suppose to be mild, hopefully not rain. anyone been there lately, is it pretty good snow right now?
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #69
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to lake Louise today and my thoughts on the conditions are as follows:

. I struggled on that section from right off top of world to the backside
. We skiied a lot of larch, and I thought it was really good
. Our last run of the day was from top of world down thru juniper jungle - by 1.30 ish I found this pretty tough going but maybe it was mostly because I was tired and it was busy on the front

It was a solid day, as we got in 17 runs - mostly on the backside. It was my first go at spring skiing at it was an almost perfect day with very little wind. At this point in the evening it is odd sitting in my living room and the sun is shining

I was stunned at the number of people skiing without helmets on. Maybe the warm weather brings out the fair weather skiers?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #70
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I somehow missed this in the news...

Quote:
The 28-year battle for the protection of Jumbo Valley, BC, is now over. On August 6, the BC Court of Appeals upheld the expiry of Jumbo Glacier Resort’s environmental certificate, thus revoking their permission to build in Jumbo Valley. Jumbo will stay wild. The project cannot go forward unless Glacier Resorts Ltd. successfully applies for a new environmental assessment.

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/...f4f97c66a1c78c

Probably a good thing, I just couldn't see it succeeding so far from any population centre.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #71
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wow, 28 years. The builders must really be passionate about the project.

Would be hard to imagine this going forward after this.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #72
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially with Revy and Kickinghorse beating them to market. Even if everything else made more sense, not having a townsite nearby would have really killed their ability to staff it [affordably].

Fortress back in the news recently, but for silly reasons (though they at least had enough sense to delay this scheme until UCP were in power...)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-use-1.5225722

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/water-woe...ream-1.4523979
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #73
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The World’s Top 9 Ski Towns

https://snowbrains.com/apres-worlds-...kgiGjuhWYmRBlE

https://www.snowmagazine.com/feature...xUFQDRWw0BoDTQ

Quote:
you’re in the heart of Banff National Park - the Cascade mountains loom on the horizon.
Cascade Mountain is in the Rocky Mountains.

Last edited by troutman; 08-22-2019 at 06:19 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #74
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Really? Banff?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote