Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #121
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's important to note that Patrick Kane silenced critics of his attitude by putting up twice as many points as Evander Kane and also winning multiple Stanley Cups while Evander's teams sit outside the playoffs.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #122
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously a huge win for the Sabres, if true.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #123
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Doesn't get much more Canadian than this. Drunk toothless hockey player runs into Tim Hortons.

That being said it was stupid mistake, one he surely regrets and I'd take ROR on this team in an instant, well before Kane.
Honestly, I wrote ROR off forever after that one.

1. Drunk driving at 4am could kill someone.
2. He fled the scene to try and escape responsibility
3. In fleeing the scene, he decided to take his freshly tested drunk driving skills through a residential neighbourhood to stash his car.
4. After ditching the car, he decided to take a stroll up Main Street where he as caught
5. After he was charged, he deleted all photos of his truck. Not sure why you'd do that unless your brain is STILL in 'I'm not responsible' mode.
5. After all of this, he had the gall to plead not guilty and WON: http://torontosun.com/2016/07/11/rya...d-f7d2747b5e1b

If that's not a piece of ####, I don't know what is.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #124
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Comparing Brouwer vs Kane is not a good comparison. They're at vastly different stages.

Kane is 26 and is perhaps at the end of being in his prime. He might be starting his decline now but he is in a much better state than Brouwer, and it's not just because he's got a freshly minted whopper.

Brouwer on the other hand is 32, on a MASSIVE decline in his skills and well into that decline, and is now looking like his days of being an NHL calibre player are a thing of the past.
In terms of production at least, it seems unlikely that Kane is just entering his prime. Most forwards peak at a younger age than many realize.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #125
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Countless NHLers have posted questionable social media posts or have been arrested for DUIs, assault or even worse charges like manslaughter/murder. It is an incredibly long list and completely unfair to hold Kane to this as a flawed character for a few questionable posts and a mistake as a youngster that hasn't been repeated.

MacTavish, Heatley, Ramage, to name a few, all killed people due to liquor abuse and pure idiocy. Pat Kane is known to be a complete sleaze bag with ties to a rape case but somehow he no longer seems to be ripped on as much as the terrible Evander Kane.
Honestly, most of them belong on the same list.

You're paid millions of dollars to play hockey and you're idolized by children.
I sure as hell don't get free passes for rape, drunk driving, arrogance around my peers and certainly not assault and murder - so why the hell should they? And I don't have anyone outside my office asking for autographs... yet. I don't understand the need to forgive a single one of them.

If there's a change in character, it needs to be demonstrated for a sustainable amount of time. That's not 1 or 2 seasons, it's decades. If you do something crappy, you become that person to me. I want to see you demonstrate a change before my subconscious will ever allow you to be anything but a horrible person. I don't mean everyone of them needs to be booed in the streets for eternity, but they definitely lose the privilege of being an idolized millionaire living out most of our fantasies when you somehow lose the ability to act like a rational human.

Mistakes happen, and every one of us knows that our lives would be completely over if we ever found ourselves in the position these players put themselves in.

If you hit a Timmys hammered, stashed the car and sauntered up Main Street what would happen to you? I'll damn well bet you're not 'putting it behind you' as ROR put it. It'll take at least 5-10 years for you to recover from that.

I just don't understand the sympathy for these guys. Screw them. I'm not forgiving rape and the like so my team can have a few more Ws. That tradeoff is insanity.

Last edited by Split98; 05-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #126
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
These are completely different issues. Accidents happen, yes MacT was drunk and Heatley was irresponsible etc. But these were still accidents.
Driving drunk and killing someone is not an "accident." It's a very plausible result from an extremely dangerous behavior which is absolutely preventable.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #127
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Honestly, most of them belong on the same list.

You're paid millions of dollars to play hockey and you're idolized by children.
I sure as hell don't get free passes for rape, drunk driving, arrogance around my peers and certainly not assault and murder - so why the hell should they? And I don't have anyone outside my office asking for autographs... yet. I don't understand the need to forgive a single one of them.

If there's a change in character, it needs to be demonstrated for a sustainable amount of time. That's not 1 or 2 seasons, it's decades. If you do something crappy, you become that person to me. I want to see you demonstrate a change before my subconscious will ever allow you to be anything but a horrible person. I don't mean everyone of them needs to be booed in the streets for eternity, but they definitely lose the privilege of being an idolized millionaire living out most of our fantasies when you somehow lose the ability to act like a rational human.

Mistakes happen, and every one of us knows that our lives would be completely over if we ever found ourselves in the position these players put themselves in.

If you hit a Timmys hammered, stashed the car and sauntered up Main Street what would happen to you? I'll damn well bet you're not 'putting it behind you' as ROR put it. It'll take at least 5-10 years for you to recover from that.

I just don't understand the sympathy for these guys. Screw them. I'm not forgiving rape and the like so my team can have a few more Ws. That tradeoff is insanity.

What sympathy? They get none from me, but I just said that these were single bad judgement incidents while being private citizens. Kane's case is different because he has a long history of having issues with teammates and team rules etc.

Driving in to a Tim's wall drunk is not a character issue, it's a bad judgement and an accident that one can learn from. Being an ass everywhere you go is a character flaw that's probably untreatable.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #128
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Driving drunk and killing someone is not an "accident." It's a very plausible result from an extremely dangerous behavior which is absolutely preventable.

I don't want to defend the action of driving drunk, but in the end it is an accident. All accidents are preventable.

But besides the point. We are talking about a player's fit on a hockey team. If I had to choose, I will take a guy that has had a DUI charge once over one that has had a long history of fighting with teammates and coaches.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #129
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, The Vegas Knights showed how to neutralize Kane. Once every team plays Kane the same way, the Sharks will likely dump his contract half way through. That's massive overpayment, IMO.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #130
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Well, The Vegas Knights showed how to neutralize Kane. Once every team plays Kane the same way, the Sharks will likely dump his contract half way through. That's massive overpayment, IMO.
I also see this as a contract that I guarantee they trade and retain salary on at some point.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #131
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What sympathy? They get none from me, but I just said that these were single bad judgement incidents while being private citizens. Kane's case is different because he has a long history of having issues with teammates and team rules etc.

Driving in to a Tim's wall drunk is not a character issue, it's a bad judgement and an accident that one can learn from. Being an ass everywhere you go is a character flaw that's probably untreatable.
Lol, I love this.

And I guess sympathy and forgiveness is what I'm looking at. And not meaning to single anyone out (even though I quoted Hot_Flatus) just more my thoughts whenever moving on, forgiving, or putting things behind us come up.

And FTR, I don't think anyone that feels that way is wrong. We all get caught up in our heroes. But if any of the stories we want to brush aside were about Greg in Accounting, we'd be pretty quick to consider him a ###### forever.

ROR is a special DUI for me, as the hilarity of him sauntering around Lucan thinking he'll get away with it grabbed my attention when it happened. I was floored when he resulted in a slap on the wrist and incensed when I heard him talking about being glad it was behind him. Apparently the whole legal proceedings were super duper stressful for the poor guy . I thought that was such a clear case of an ass that thinks he's above it all. He hasn't done anything since, but he's a far way away from not being a total jerk in my books.

Last edited by Split98; 05-23-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #132
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Lol, I love this.

And I guess sympathy and forgiveness is what I'm looking at. And not meaning to single anyone out (even though I quoted Hot_Flatus) just more my thoughts whenever moving on, forgiving, or putting things behind us come up.

And FTR, I don't think anyone that feels that way is wrong. We all get caught up in our heroes. But if any of the stories we want to brush aside were about Greg in Accounting, we'd be pretty quick to consider him a ###### forever.

Don't get me started on Greg from accounting....what a ###### that guy is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #133
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't get me started on Greg from accounting....what a ###### that guy is.
Honestly, he was already in my crap books after what he said about Cheryl in Marketing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 05-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #134
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

7 years for this guy?

Good luck with that
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #135
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Pat Kane is known to be a complete sleaze bag with ties to a rape case but somehow he no longer seems to be ripped on as much as the terrible Evander Kane.
Pat Kane is Chicago's best player and superstar player, while he had two bad incidents while drinking as far as I know his teammates love him. same can't be said for Evander
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #136
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Pat Kane is Chicago's best player and superstar player, while he had two bad incidents while drinking as far as I know his teammates love him. same can't be said for Evander
Im confused here. Are we exonerating P.Kane for past behaviors because he is liked by his team mates? Meanwhile holding E.Kanes feet to the fire because he isn't liked by his team mates? Are we trying to justify two accused rapisits salaries based on who likes them more?

This thread is taking a very weird and disturbing turn.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #137
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In terms of production at least, it seems unlikely that Kane is just entering his prime. Most forwards peak at a younger age than many realize.

I think that chart is a little shortsighted. Yes they tend to score more points early to mid 20s, but I think the decline is also due to a player becoming a more complete hockey player. Call it the Yzerman effect. At some point they realize it isn't all about the points...unless you are McDavid.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #138
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Im confused here. Are we exonerating P.Kane for past behaviors because he is liked by his team mates? Meanwhile holding E.Kanes feet to the fire because he isn't liked by his team mates? Are we trying to justify two accused rapisits salaries based on who likes them more?

No. It's just that having a jerk on your team is a lot more palatable when the jerk is putting up 100 pts and scoring cup winning goals. At the end of the day, the goal is to win the Stanley Cup after all.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #139
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

I think they are just separating the on-ice and off-ice issues. Neither Kane may be upstanding citizens off the ice, but only one of them has had several on-ice issues that appear to be a repeating, especially as the latest incident occurred earlier this year.

I mean Gilmour was accused of something far more heinous but people turned a blind eye to it because of what he did on the ice.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #140
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
LOL

The best way to neutralize Kane is to make sure he is playing through an MCL injury and a separated shoulder. Great strategy Vegas.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote