Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #81
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Well it only took 8, 10? years but they finally look like they're getting it. Better late than never but also annoying we have to wait another (unbelievable?!) year until they finally do the right thing. I assume this means the ####ty flags will be back next year but let's hope it isn't.

It's actually legitimately hilarious / crazy how long it's taken them to 'get it'.

Anyway, I have held true to my word about holding out to buy a new jersey until they understand basic marketing so looks like I'll finally have to buy a new one soon!
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #82
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What's got into the Flames organization this season? I honestly believe it was social media (and Calgarypuck) finally becoming relevant and vocal enough for what was once a fairly arrogant organization in terms of marketing.

They definitely heard the criticism for years, but thought "Whatever, bunch of dudes on the internet, we don't have to worry about that". But in the past couple seasons with more and more fan's voices coming "online" I think they realized all the little things matter more to the fanbase than they thought.

Now they're hitting it out of the park on almost everything. What a great change in attitude, drive and results from the Flames off ice this year.
Maybe Ken King was told he had to step it up (by someone who has more power than him)?
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #83
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What do you mean “as needed”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wear a little of both. And reinstate the Black horse ones.God dam I like those and would wear them 2-3 times a year
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #84
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What's got into the Flames organization this season? I honestly believe it was social media (and Calgarypuck) finally becoming relevant and vocal enough for what was once a fairly arrogant organization in terms of marketing.

They definitely heard the criticism for years, but thought "Whatever, bunch of dudes on the internet, we don't have to worry about that". But in the past couple seasons with more and more fan's voices coming "online" I think they realized all the little things matter more to the fanbase than they thought.

Now they're hitting it out of the park on almost everything. What a great change in attitude, drive and results from the Flames off ice this year.
The cynic in me says we're seeing a reaction to the public blowback from the whole arena debacle.

But the optimist in me says they just clinched the cup this year
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #85
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the team makes a deep playoff run this year, they will sell bazillions of retro road jerseys. It will be a Sea of Retro Red. It will be glorious.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #86
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Oct. 6 vs. Vancouver - 7-4 W
Oct. 17 vs. Boston - 5-2 W
Nov. 3 vs. Chicago - 5-3 W
Nov. 15 vs. Montreal - 3-2 L
Nov. 17 vs. Edmonton - 4-2 W
Dec. 22 vs. St. Louis - 3-1 L
Dec. 29 vs. Vancouver - 3-2 L (OT)
Jan. 18 vs. Detroit - 6-4 W
Feb. 20 vs. NYI - 4-2 W
Mar. 2 vs. Minnesota (added) - 4-2 L
Mar. 4 vs. Toronto - 6-2 L
Mar. 15 vs. NYR - 5-1 W
Apr. 6 vs. Edmonton

7-4-1.
23-7-5 home record
7-4-1 in retros and
16-3-4 in home blacks...

I'd save the retros for the full season next year and keep the blacks for the playoff run.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #87
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmmm... I need to see the home goal differential between the two sets.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 AM   #88
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see the Flames in retros for the playoffs. If they do end up switching to retros as their set then I'll be a little sad not gonna lie. I love the black C, I find it pops out more. Then again I did grow up watching the Flames play in those unies. That doesn't mean I don't like em, I actually love them. I just find them better as thirds. Maybe the retros will grow on me more.

I really hate the Adidas home and away jerseys. Who the hell decided to switch to the non italic font, and those disgusting stripes on the side. I kinda want the Flames to bring back the CCM home and away jerseys.

Last edited by FlameX; 03-19-2019 at 02:05 AM.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameX For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 04:04 AM   #89
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
How has the year gone for Flames fans?

1) #1 in the Pacific and WC with 10 to go.
2) Forever a Flame program to be axed.
3) Retro red jerseys for playoffs!
4) #12 to the rafters
5) E=NG

Pretty well so far, I'd say.
I’d even add arena talks progressing quietly behind the scenes to the list. Heck even our frustration with the previous coaching staff seemed to be heeded and they delivered on replacements!

It was roughly two years ago while working that I listened to an arrogant Ken King wax condescendingly about the stalled arena talks and the not-so-veiled moving the team threat.

So started a personal boycott of Flames’ merchandise or Saddledome games (I was fortunate enough to watch them on their first Vegas/Arizona earlier this season).

But I agree this season has been a remarkable turn around both on and off the ice.

With this latest news I’m just so pumped that the boycott is officially over. Tomorrow I’m going out and buying a new retro jersey for my niece! Her “Go Flames Go” is coming along nicely.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #90
DynamRyan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameX View Post
It'll be interesting to see the Flames in retros for the playoffs. If they do end up switching to retros as their set then I'll be a little sad not gonna lie. I love the black C, I find it pops out more. Then again I did grow up watching the Flames play in those unies. That doesn't mean I don't like em, I actually love them. I just find them better as thirds. Maybe the retros will grow on me more.

I really hate the Adidas home and away jerseys. Who the hell decided to switch to the non italic font, and those disgusting stripes on the side. I kinda want the Flames to bring back the CCM home and away jerseys.

Love the black C too, but I am so excited to see the Retro Reds in the playoffs. I started watching the Flames when they got the pedestal jersey, and just after they started plummeting into the basement in the young guns era (was not around when they were introduced in 94-95) and the Retros were these seemingly magical unis that symbolized how good the Flames once were, memorialized in grainy VHS tapes/tv clips of glories past. I love that they are making a comeback.

Agree about the Adidas silks, but I actually like the normal font. I have always thought the italic font and numbering on the jerseys, as far back as the pedestal years when they first came into effect, were incredibly tacky. Like the comic sans of NHL jersey fonts. I find the non-italic ones to be more...forthright. Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #91
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

love the retros to be honest... the current ones are pretty good too, though the side piping isn't great...

kinda wish they had used the old altanta jerseys for a special occasion sometime though (though they are probably too similar to the retros to use while those are the primary jerseys)... really liked the cowboys jersey/logo too
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #92
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Wouldn't be surprised if ownership put pressure on the organization to get better at fan outreach after the disaster that was the first arena negotiation last year. They lost a lot of goodwill from Ken King puffing out his chest and a large chunk of the city were ready to let them leave (me included). With the latest arena talk looking much more positive and the Flames finally actively engaging with the fan base, I hope some solid lessons were learned from that debacle
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #93
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Hmmmm... I need to see the home goal differential between the two sets.
by my calculations

Retros: 44-37
Blacks: 104-78

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #94
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd like to see a full black alternate jersey, but maybe I'm just an extreme teen.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #95
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd like to see a full black alternate jersey, but maybe I'm just an extreme teen.
Flames version of that black stockton jersey would be cool (without the piping), I agree
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #96
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd be onboard with a full black jersey as a 3rd jersey after the retros are in place as the main jerseys.

I think the Flames need to get back to the retros and have those be their main jerseys forever. It helps establish the brand, and then from there you can have one-off jerseys, or more experimental 3rd jerseys.

Fans demanding an Ol Blasty jersey? Hell, bring it back for a few nights one year. Sell a boatload, and everyone is happy.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #97
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames also wants to establish a black C on red color scheme, as that will give them more things to market/sell with. So in an ideal world I would like to see:

Retro Red Home
Retro White Away
Red with black C Third
Black with something as Fourth jersey? (Maybe the NHL will go to the NBA route with a billion jerseys for each team...)
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #98
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think the black C on red has been quite established already. 16 years of it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #99
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be fine with

Retro Home
Retro White
04 Red Alternate
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #100
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
It's actually legitimately hilarious / crazy how long it's taken them to 'get it'.
Are the Flames the only team still using the vertical stripping scheme? Hell, they've probably been the only team for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Fans demanding an Ol Blasty jersey? Hell, bring it back for a few nights one year. Sell a boatload, and everyone is happy.
During the last season of the Saddledome -- whenever that is -- they should have one off nights for different uniforms. Horsehead, 2013 Cowboy, Heritage Classic with tan pants. Trot them all out one last time.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote