Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I enjoyed it, would rank it at a 7/10. I think the big things for me was that it seemed to start pretty slow, and only slowly get up to speed.

Also, the 'cute' surprise (Flerken) I knew about, as I've read some of Capt Marvel's stuff, and as a long time comic fan, the "OMG, the Kree and the Skrull aren't a black/white good/evil analog"...wasn't a surprise.
Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I keep hearing about how uber OP Danvers is, and that Thanos is in big trouble, but why? from what we've been shown, her powers are flight, energy projection, super strength and super durability. so basically Iron Man with the volume turned up to 12.

the various members of the avengers team have bits and pieces of that power set, maybe not quite at the same level. but what good is that against a foe that can reshape the fabric of space and time on a universal scale? it's like fighting a tank with a 2 foot long tree branch and failing, and then whipping out a tree branch that's 4 feet long.

edit: also, CM's power is derived from a plane engine, which in turn is derived from a fraction of the tesseract's power. so she's using like a tiny piece of 3rd hand power from just a single stone, which now belongs to Thanos plus 5 other stones. so I'm assuming his defeat can't possibly happen while that glove is on his hand.
Fully agree with you here. Captain Marvel is at best one stones worth of power. I think she ends up somewhere in the Thor power bracket.

I see endgame taking a slightly different tact. Thanos isn’t the bad guy anymore now that half the universe is gone the last shot of him farming shows he is done unless he is attacked. It’s about undoing the damage that Thanos has done so the direct fight against him won’t occur until they recover a few stones.

This will keep all powers nicely balanced without overpowering Captain Marvel.

Infinity Gaunlet/War comic book spoilers

Spoiler!
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #23
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was fun. Ben Mendelsohn turning out to not be the bad guy has to be one of the biggest twists in movie history.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #24
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felt it was okay, but not more than that.

For the first time I felt kind of tired of all the MCU interconnectivity and references all over. I really, really just don't care how Nick Fury lost his eye, or where the Avengers initiative got it's name.

I also felt that the pieces didn't really connect. The nineties nostalgia action comedy and the space opera felt like they were from two completely different movies, with different styles, themes and visuals. I would have liked a more straightforward nineties action comedy better.

On the upside, I liked Brie Larsson, even if she didn't have many good lines to work with.

I also liked from the SJW-dad angle that it was a fundamentally different female superhero movie than Wonder Woman.

I feel like Captain Marvel will be a better character in the future. There were a lot of good pieces there. Just didn't connect for me as a whole.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #25
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah, i didn't see this thread. I was wondering why there was so little conversation in the Comic book movie thread!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #26
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a decent movie to tie together a few plot points, but I would put it in the mid or lower ranking when it comes to the MCU universe. The music selection didn't do it for me. Most of the songs were just thrown in for 90s nostalgia, without really fitting the theme IMO.

Brie Larsson, I liked a lot and Jackson's character portrayal was good.

After being this deep into the marvel universe, I found the pacing to be a bit slower at times (Especially at the start)

That being said, I can't wait for Captain Marvel to join the avengers in the endgame!
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #27
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a proper review after a few days to let this settle. It was lots of fun in typical Marvel fashion and I realised I am a sucker for 90s nostalgia. I enjoyed this twist on the origin story making her past a mystery told non-linearly but felt this could have been improved as some of the big reveals came too early. I also didn't get much character development as Carol went from cocky pilot to cocky Kree to cocky hero. Brie Larson was solid though and definitely felt like a hero. Did anyone else think she had a Tony Stark meets Maverick vibe? I also enjoyed Sam Jackson in this movie and like how we got a Fury origin story but it didn't feel tacked on. The supporting cast was solid too, especially Mendehlson. A big issue with this movie though was the different tones. We had epic space opera, 90s buddy cop mystery, and feminist Top Gun tribute all rolled into one. Overall an above average MCU film which gets me even more pumped for End Game and looking forward to CM sequels. 7/10.

Also to give a female perspective, my wife loved it and now ranks Carol Danvers as her favourite super hero. I asked what about Black Widow or Scarlet Witch and she said "meh". I asked about Wonder Women and she said "she's okay but that's DC".
Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #28
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saw it today. Fun movie, Marvel continues to hit every ball thrown at them, while not every movie can live up to the last two big teamup movies. It was still very good.

I keep hearing that Brie was flat and emotionless in this movie, but I thought her acting was one of the highlights, she play the tension of someone who have been trying to bury her emotions really well.

Fury looked good, but the de-aging on Coulsson and Ronan felt a little uncanny to me.

This movie really felt like it could have been made in the 90s, the tone and pacing really would have fit in with movies like independence day, which is what I think they were going for. I really like how Marvel makes deliberate genre choices and riffs off of key troupes. (for this one I think they were trying to make it feel like the movie was made some time between 89 - 95).

Happy that this really did build to end game, I left Black Panther a little disappointed as it did not really build to Infinity War, the big Naboo style battle scene could have been done with any random group anywhere. Releasing these within a couple months of the major event films, I think it is important to sew the threads a little deeper.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #29
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Thought the movie was decent, but definitely in the lower half of the MCU. My wife summed it up the best, "She's too strong, everything came so easy for her". It's actually the same issue I had with Wonder Woman, no real stakes involved when the hero is so much more powerful than everyone else. Fury carried the movie for me, and I thought the Skrulls were really well done and liked the twist of them being the good guys. I hope in Endgame and future sequels that Danvers actually has to face some real adversity, because I do like what Brie Larson brings to the table
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #30
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It's funny this is probably one of the few Marvel movies that actually has people split. I've had people on both sides, just like this thread, saying it was above average or just missed the mark.

Maybe it's just origin movie fatigue at this point? But I did think that this was a very intriguing and original approach to an origin story. But I'm also a 90's kid so I am biased I think.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Thought the movie was decent, but definitely in the lower half of the MCU. My wife summed it up the best, "She's too strong, everything came so easy for her". It's actually the same issue I had with Wonder Woman, no real stakes involved when the hero is so much more powerful than everyone else. Fury carried the movie for me, and I thought the Skrulls were really well done and liked the twist of them being the good guys. I hope in Endgame and future sequels that Danvers actually has to face some real adversity, because I do like what Brie Larson brings to the table
an overpowered protagonist can still have a compelling story if you give them a good, strong internal conflict to deal with. Wonder Woman had the dilemma about whether humanity was inherently good or bad and worth saving. if they just carried that through to the very end and gave her a climactic point at which she has to decide yes/no, it would have been much more interesting than what they did instead, which was just fight generic strong bad guy #153.

Captain Marvel should have had a much stronger internal conflict. for most of the movie she believed she was part of the noble Kree race fighting to rid the galaxy of the Skrull scourge. it doesn't matter that the audience already kind of knows the Kree are actually bad, that revelation to her should have been a huge identity crisis moment. but instead they made it so that she never seemed to have that strong a bond with her Kree team in the first place, and turned on them really easily without any mental struggle as soon as she remembers the plane crash.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #32
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Captain Marvel should have had a much stronger internal conflict. for most of the movie she believed she was part of the noble Kree race fighting to rid the galaxy of the Skrull scourge. it doesn't matter that the audience already kind of knows the Kree are actually bad, that revelation to her should have been a huge identity crisis moment. but instead they made it so that she never seemed to have that strong a bond with her Kree team in the first place, and turned on them really easily without any mental struggle as soon as she remembers the plane crash.

That's a good point, from non-spoilery stuff before it came out I thought that she would have been in action with the Starforce team for a long time, making that "we're the baddies?" reveal much more shocking for her. But then you find out she wasn't even out on missions yet, still in training and we get to see her first foray into the action with the team. Would have been much more of a struggle for her if we saw that she served with this crew for a year or more, perhaps via a "Soldier" style montage showing the team in action around the galaxy.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #33
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Something like this:

Old 03-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #34
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I keep hearing that Brie was flat and emotionless in this movie, but I thought her acting was one of the highlights, she play the tension of someone who have been trying to bury her emotions really well.
I didn't really like her in this, might have been the writing more that the actor, but she didn't really sell me and I felt she was pretty flat in parts. She wasn't horrible, but she didn't deliver anything memorable either.

Movie was worth seeing though, another fun chapter in the MCU.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #35
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It's funny this is probably one of the few Marvel movies that actually has people split. I've had people on both sides, just like this thread, saying it was above average or just missed the mark.

Maybe it's just origin movie fatigue at this point? But I did think that this was a very intriguing and original approach to an origin story. But I'm also a 90's kid so I am biased I think.
It's not fatigue, that's such a tired cliche for superhero movies that keep setting box office records. I'd say it's just Marvel missing the mark a little bit when they're used to dealing with more grounded heroes. The closest comparable to Danvers is Thor, but in his movies he's always been up against enemies in his same weight class, and one that completely outclassed him and required more than brute strength to beat. Captain Marvel had no such foes to face off against, she was facing the same enemies as GOTG except with the powers of a god. Imagine how empty GOTG would have felt if Danvers had shown up and simply blasted away Ronan

I'm not saying it's a terrible movie, it did a decent job as an origin piece and served as a good segway into Endgame. I'm just hoping that we get a much more balanced character now that she'll be facing comic enemies that she can't just mow down
Old 03-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #36
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair Captain Marvel is better than both Thor 1 and 2; and at least close to Guardians 2. It's in the middle of the pack, but still better than other franchise movies it's being compared to (I'd rank it with Dr. Strange).
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #37
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
To be fair Captain Marvel is better than both Thor 1 and 2; and at least close to Guardians 2. It's in the middle of the pack, but still better than other franchise movies it's being compared to (I'd rank it with Dr. Strange).
That's a pretty fair ranking, IMO. It wasn't a stand-out, but it didn't really let me down either. It did its job in getting me prepped for EndGame, and the 90s nostalgia was fun.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #38
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

I'd still put Thor 1 above CM. The end fight was bad, but so was the one in CM, and the character development for Thor himself was much better than Danvers
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #39
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appeared to have enjoyed it more than the average viewer. I wouldn't put it in the top tier with Ragnarok, Infinity War and Civil War, but I'd have it in the upper half easily.

Sometimes a hero beating the crap out of easy minions while No Doubt plays is exactly what I need.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #40
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'd still put Thor 1 above CM. The end fight was bad, but so was the one in CM, and the character development for Thor himself was much better than Danvers
yep, at least in Thor 1 the final battle was between two guys that had a somewhat complicated love/hate relationship, and it hurt Thor to let Loki drift away into the void. CM on the other hand had no issues giving the old Indiana Jones treatment to Yon Rogg, stuffing him in a space ship and sending him packing, all with a confident smile.

I also enjoyed a lot of Thor's fish out of water experience being on Earth for the first time, hell that cafe scene is an everlasting meme. CM didn't seem to have any of the same trouble, so I was confused about how alien she believed she was.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote