Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #241
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm sure his donations would definitely still be over $100k if the trespassers were white also. Absolutely! cough bull**** cough
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #242
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm sure his donations would definitely still be over $100k if the trespassers were white also. Absolutely! cough bull**** cough
He wouldn't need it. If you listen to the current narrative, he would have invited the trespassers in for tea had they been white.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #243
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, this story wouldn't make national headlines if the outcry wasn't fueled by the race card.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #244
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stanley's testimony seems to clearly indicate that he feared for the well-being of his wife. That is the difference maker for me.

Obviously the end result here is tragic, but if you come rolling onto a rural property with three good tires left, and start attempting to steal and ramming things with a weapon weighing 1000s of pounds, not sure you can claim to be a victim.

Guess I am racist.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #245
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Stanley's testimony seems to clearly indicate that he feared for the well-being of his wife. That is the difference maker for me.
OK, but isn't that exactly what he'd say no matter what actually happened? Even if he deliberately murdered Boushie, he's going to say whatever he can to minimize his culpability; anyone would in that situation.

Quote:
Obviously the end result here is tragic, but if you come rolling onto a rural property with three good tires left, and start attempting to steal and ramming things with a weapon weighing 1000s of pounds, not sure you can claim to be a victim.

Guess I am racist.
Anyone can be a victim if they are harmed unreasonably. Rodney King was a victim even though he was breaking the law when he was pulled over. Sammy Yatim had attacked a passenger on a streetcar, threatened others, and was brandishing a knife and threatening the police. Regardless though, the officer who shot him was still convicted of attempted murder because his reaction was out of proportion with the threat.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #246
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
OK, but isn't that exactly what he'd say no matter what actually happened? Even if he deliberately murdered Boushie, he's going to say whatever he can to minimize his culpability; anyone would in that situation.
So your position is the Stanley murdered Boushie and you don't believe any of his version of events?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #247
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

MP Robert-Falcon Ouellette, whose family is from the Red Pheasant First Nation (same as Boushie), had this to say:

"I’m really sorry for the Boushie family," the MP said Sunday. "But I’m also sorry for the Stanley family. I know most people don’t want to hear that right now. (But) the Stanley family, and many farmers in Saskatchewan, have the feeling that their property is not respected and people come on to their farms and steal their stuff.

"The RCMP aren’t responding quick enough to find the perpetrators, to protect their property. It’s essentially become... a lawless state in some ways," Ouellette added.

"I think this calls to us, at the federal level, to ask: ‘are the policing levels in these communities enough to actually make sure we have a society that doesn’t need to resort to violence?’

"The Stanley family was placed in an impossible situation that’s been building up over a long period of time. And they shouldn’t have even had the thought that, ‘I’m going to go get my gun to fire two warning shots.’ That’s not normal. Maybe it’s normal down in Texas or Colorado or other states, but that is not the type of society we want to have here in Canada.

"I feel sorry for them. They’ve essentially lost two years of their lives. They’ve faced legal bills and great difficulty."

As for the Boushie family, Ouellette said: "They lost a young man (Colten) who will not be able to reach his full potential. Have children, contribute to the community. Who knows what he could have done with his life?"

Asked if his empathy for the Stanley family might draw the ire of the Indigenous community, Ouellette replied: "Probably. But the role of a leader is also to look at things with a cool head and try and take a perspective from different vantage points."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...473760143.html
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #248
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Anyone can be a victim if they are harmed unreasonably. Rodney King was a victim even though he was breaking the law when he was pulled over. Sammy Yatim had attacked a passenger on a streetcar, threatened others, and was brandishing a knife and threatening the police. Regardless though, the officer who shot him was still convicted of attempted murder because his reaction was out of proportion with the threat.
Okay, I see where you're coming from.

So what is the ideal outcome here? What would people acknowledge to be a sufficient punishment for Stanley?

What is the required punishment for all involved, race aside, to acknowledge that Justice was done?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
MP Robert-Falcon Ouellette, whose family is from the Red Pheasant First Nation (same as Boushie), had this to say:

"I’m really sorry for the Boushie family," the MP said Sunday. "But I’m also sorry for the Stanley family. I know most people don’t want to hear that right now. (But) the Stanley family, and many farmers in Saskatchewan, have the feeling that their property is not respected and people come on to their farms and steal their stuff.

"The RCMP aren’t responding quick enough to find the perpetrators, to protect their property. It’s essentially become... a lawless state in some ways," Ouellette added.

"I think this calls to us, at the federal level, to ask: ‘are the policing levels in these communities enough to actually make sure we have a society that doesn’t need to resort to violence?’

"The Stanley family was placed in an impossible situation that’s been building up over a long period of time. And they shouldn’t have even had the thought that, ‘I’m going to go get my gun to fire two warning shots.’ That’s not normal. Maybe it’s normal down in Texas or Colorado or other states, but that is not the type of society we want to have here in Canada.

"I feel sorry for them. They’ve essentially lost two years of their lives. They’ve faced legal bills and great difficulty."

As for the Boushie family, Ouellette said: "They lost a young man (Colten) who will not be able to reach his full potential. Have children, contribute to the community. Who knows what he could have done with his life?"

Asked if his empathy for the Stanley family might draw the ire of the Indigenous community, Ouellette replied: "Probably. But the role of a leader is also to look at things with a cool head and try and take a perspective from different vantage points."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...473760143.html
Couldnt have said it better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #250
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course not. Indigenous citizens are very lucky to avoid becoming complete **** ups as the cards are so horribly stacked against them.

What's your upbringing Burnthiscity? Do you understand the terms "cycle of violence and cycle of poverty"? Would you miraculously be above the odds if you were Indegenous?

Sorry for the snark, but god damn are Indegenous ever our version of Black people.
I don't doubt that I wouldn't be the person I am today if I was raised in a terrible environment. Anyone claiming they'd bootstrap themselves out of that is full of ####. At the same time, I don't think we should absolve anyone of responsibility solely based on upbringing. Otherwise we're basically saying that anyone with a ####ty childhood/family situation isn't responsible for anything.

I don't disagree that native people are viewed and treated terribly in Canada. It's a long term national shame that we have a huge aboriginal population in prison, or living in extreme poverty.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #251
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't doubt that I wouldn't be the person I am today if I was raised in a terrible environment. Anyone claiming they'd bootstrap themselves out of that is full of ####. At the same time, I don't think we should absolve anyone of responsibility solely based on upbringing. Otherwise we're basically saying that anyone with a ####ty childhood/family situation isn't responsible for anything.

I don't disagree that native people are viewed and treated terribly in Canada. It's a long term national shame that we have a huge aboriginal population in prison, or living in extreme poverty.
I'm surprised you gave that post the time of day, to be honest. It was inflammatory. I get stupidly heated and biased when it comes to discussion on Indigenous citizens. Sorry.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #252
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, I see where you're coming from.

So what is the ideal outcome here? What would people acknowledge to be a sufficient punishment for Stanley?

What is the required punishment for all involved, race aside, to acknowledge that Justice was done?
Wait.... opendoor is pointing to situations where the acts were intentional. There is no comparison to the facts in this case.

And what he's saying is he doesn't believe Stanley. That's his own choice. 12 jurors, all of them, thought his testimony at a minimum raised reasonable doubt.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #253
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm surprised you gave that post the time of day, to be honest. It was inflammatory. I get stupidly heated and biased when it comes to discussion on Indigenous citizens. Sorry.
It's cool, I could tell you were a bit pissed. It's a sensitive subject with no easy answers or solutions.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #254
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Wait.... opendoor is pointing to situations where the acts were intentional. There is no comparison to the facts in this case.

And what he's saying is he doesn't believe Stanley. That's his own choice. 12 jurors, all of them, thought his testimony at a minimum raised reasonable doubt.
This is the thing. Nobody is happy about this. There is no restitution to be had here.

This is losses all around for everyone, but making it a race issue and damaging the already fragile relationship between Native communities and everyone else even further solves absolutely less than nothing.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #255
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lots of agendas being pushed in the media and that's the scary part
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #256
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
I feel like this, for not being all that long ago, is incredibly relevant:

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #257
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
There was a good Reddit post that had links to articles showing how the narrative started to be spun the day after this happened and continued since. I’ll try to dig it up to post.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #258
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

r/conspiracy
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #259
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Gerald Stanley's gofundme is up to 100K. After his legal fees are paid he will have made money for killing a human being. Think about that for a minute.
It's sad that your compassion in this case only flows in one direction.

There is plenty of sadness that occurred in this case for both Stanley and Boushie.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #260
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
It's sad that your compassion in this case only flows in one direction.

There is plenty of sadness that occurred in this case for both Stanley and Boushie.
It's interesting that you picked out myself out of the dozen other posters whose compassion only flows in one direction. Guess it's not the direction you care truly care about though is it?
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote