Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #281
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I recall Sutter saying just before they called him the first time that he has nothing to do with who gets called up. If I recall correctly, Sutter said that call ups was a management decision.
If this was something he said to the media, then I’d put no stock in it whatsoever.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #282
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Officially joining the call up Phillips camp. Whats the point in having groomed him this long if we aren't going to give him a chance. Last thing I want to see is him sign elsewhere and then have to listen to all his supporters say I told you so when he takes off
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:54 AM   #283
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Officially joining the call up Phillips camp. Whats the point in having groomed him this long if we aren't going to give him a chance. Last thing I want to see is him sign elsewhere and then have to listen to all his supporters say I told you so when he takes off

Yup. Why draft a player, then invest in him and watch it pay off only to never give him a ####. So dumb
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #284
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give Philips a shot there is no reason not to. I personally think he is going to be one of those guys who is great in the A but won’t make it in the NHL. I think if most around the league thought there was a player there he would t have passed through waivers the last couple of years. With that said they absolutely should be going to the farm to add some spark to this old, slow group of veterans on the big club.

Philips, Pelletier, Zary should all be called up and played over Lucic, Lewis, Rooney for a game. The current team is not getting it done. It seemed like Ruzicka added some youthful excitement when he got in the top 6 during the road trip. Let’s try that with some other young players.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #285
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Yup. Why draft a player, then invest in him and watch it pay off only to never give him a ####. So dumb
I'm all for giving Phillips a shot, it's a good story.

But NHL teams draft 7 players a year, sign 4 or 5 of them, send most of the 4 or 5 to the farm and then recall one of them on average if they're lucky.

The whole point is to invest in players that may never get a shot. They don't all earn it.

Has Phillips? I would think so ... body of work of being a solid contributing AHL hockey player, good team guy (organization guy), and now leading the AHL in scoring.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #286
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stats may prove my eyes incorrect, but Mangipane-Kadri-Dube have been a difficult line to watch. Personally I think Mangipane needs something. He's been an underdog his whole career, now has the "made it" contract and has been terrible. Bring up Phillips (what more can he do at the AHL), and slot him alongside Kadri and Dube. Put Mangiapane on the 4th line and put that bee back in his bonnet.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #287
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Stats may prove my eyes incorrect, but Mangipane-Kadri-Dube have been a difficult line to watch. Personally I think Mangipane needs something. He's been an underdog his whole career, now has the "made it" contract and has been terrible. Bring up Phillips (what more can he do at the AHL), and slot him alongside Kadri and Dube. Put Mangiapane on the 4th line and put that bee back in his bonnet.
I haven't been impressed with any of them of late, and I don't think two are tanking the one ... they're all missing in action

Kadri has been a little disappointing after a hot start.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #288
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I haven't been impressed with any of them of late, and I don't think two are tanking the one ... they're all missing in action

I think Kadri’s performance to date is what we’ll see for the rest of the season - he’s a valuable middle six forward with lots of grit and moderate skill. In a contract season, he performed really well in the playoffs while surrounded by super-skilled team mates. But as Duhatschek has said, people (and GMs) probably place too much value on playoff performance in evaluating a player, and I think that’s what brought him a fat contract here.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #289
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
I think Kadri’s performance to date is what we’ll see for the rest of the season - he’s a valuable middle six forward with lots of grit and moderate skill. In a contract season, he performed really well in the playoffs while surrounded by super-skilled team mates. But as Duhatschek has said, people (and GMs) probably place too much value on playoff performance in evaluating a player, and I think that’s what brought him a fat contract here.
He had a point per game regular season too ... and largely playing on a line without the Avs best two players.

Hoping there is more.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #290
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri was well over PPG last season

87 in 71
Old 11-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #291
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He started off well this year too. Then came that Edmonton game, the line changes, and seemingly a shift in how they were all told to play.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #292
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He sets Mangiapane up with an EN on a 2 on 1 and the guy misses the net high by 3 feet. It's hard to put up points when your linemates are playing so poorly.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #293
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm all for a call-up and I expect we'll see one at some point due to injury but asking a non-NHLer to step in and change the trajectory of a team going in the wrong direction is a surefire way to set a kid up to fail and to me an awful decision to make.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:01 AM   #294
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He started off well this year too. Then came that Edmonton game, the line changes, and seemingly a shift in how they were all told to play.
I think this gets over played ...

The Flames weren't a dump in chase team last year, they had flow and transition.

This is one of three things in my mind ...

1) Lack of chemistry (needs time)
2) Tough schedule / PDO
3) They're just not as talented (lost play drivers)

And honestly it's probably all three.

But I don't think Sutter is coaching offensively stagnant hockey as a plan. Why would he? He talked about the team not playing fast enough when he arrived, he fixed it, now they're slow again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #295
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really happy for Pelletier for replicating and improving on his last season so far. There were high expectations from him coming into camp, to me it seemed like he did not play his game and lacked confidence. He had a slow start in camp and in the season, he had zero points in his first 4 games and did not look good. Now he is looking like his old self and has 21 points in his last 14 games
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #296
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Can't argue, but on my "who am I yelling at the most" o'meter, Mangiapane holds a slight lead.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #297
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1597273307795316737
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #298
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The answers are in the room. The Flames just need to figure out which room? I can see a call up happening, but I suspect it will be Duehr, Zahorna, Schwindt, or Jones. I still think Sutter wants to get bigger and continue to play the heavy game around the boards, which they have stuck to through the start of the season, much to our chagrin. Something has to give and I hope it's for a player like Phillips or Pelletier to bring some life and creativity to the lineup.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #299
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
I loved Zary as a prospect in that draft. I loved that we were able to trade down (twice) to get him as well. I was definitely worried that the injuries would have derailed him, but it's awesome to see him flourishing.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:43 PM   #300
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

this thread need to be bumped every minute of every day until there is a call up
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote