Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2022, 01:24 PM   #2781
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also going to vary from setup to setup and case to case. In my machine, which is a SFF build, the entire cooling setup is very counterintuitive - I literally have intake at the bottom AND the top of the case, with the top being an AIO with fans pulling air in, because the way the case is set up with the GPU fans right by a mesh panel, prioritizing CPU cooling gets better results even though it makes very little sense from a pure "physics" perspective.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #2782
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I had planned. The M.2 is the only new drive and other two are from my current PC. The motherboard and case are still TBD.

The reason I have the Gigabyte Z690 AERO G is because it beat out every other $400- (The original motherboard I was recommended on PCPP was $329) I compared it with. As long as the motherboard has Bluetooth I'm open to other options that work well with my other parts.

For the case I'd like to keep my Blu-ray burner in case I ever need to burn something and I wouldn't mind a front USB-C port to plug in my headphones instead of having the USB adapter hanging down. I'd rather not spend $200+ but my options look slim unless I want to put the burner in an enclosure which from what I've seen looks to be another $50-$70 so it might end up being just as much or more.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO G ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X w/Heatsink 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #2783
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely have my doubts about just strapping a CPU cooler onto at 13700k and relying on that and case fans for a 4090 build but I am curious to see how it works out if you go that route.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-25-2022, 10:59 AM   #2784
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my AW3423DW last night, came a day early too.

The Good
  • HDR - Absolutely incredible HDR and color profile. CP2077 looks insane in high-neon night scenes and gunfights. Just superb
  • Color Grading - Played around in Photoshop a bit and the color (when setting it to Factory Calibration) is immaculate, closest thing I've had to workstation grade at home
  • GSync - Works super great at 10-bit 144hz, as expected
  • Ultrawide - I have an Ultrawide in my office flanked by a 15" laptop and 24" 16:9 and have really liked it for work stuff, but it's excellent for gaming as well. Having the larger FOV in games like CSGO and CODMWII/WZ2 actually makes a (slight) difference

The Bad
  • THICC - This monitor has an incredibly large footprint. I have it on an arm with a 16:9 1080p monitor above it and a vertical 1440p monitor beside it, and one of my 5" audio monitors is now partially on the table next to me (my wife's station). The front to back thickness is close to 12", glad i have a deep table
  • Chromatic Aberration - There is a slight "fuzz" at the edges of text and lines when in Desktop mode. I couldn't imagine using this monitor for Excel and the like. This is a noted flaw of these monitor types though so I was expecting it
  • Blackscreen when Flipping Between Games and Desktop - Weirdly, the monitor goes hard blackscreen when you tab out of a game or tab back in, with a 2-3s pause

Overall the thing is still insanely cool and very fun to play games on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #2785
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You would think that the subpixel pattern text quality thing would be something they (Microsoft I guess) could fix eventually.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #2786
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

$249 for a 2TB 980 Pro at Memex. Grabbed a 5900x for cheap as well since 5800x3ds are still nowhere to be found.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:19 AM   #2787
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
$249 for a 2TB 980 Pro at Memex. Grabbed a 5900x for cheap as well since 5800x3ds are still nowhere to be found.
You can backorder a 5800x3d on new egg ship date os Nov 29.

Was going to get one so the wife can have my 5900x because she works from home 2 days a week but....
I did some black Friday shopping... did not even get a deal decided to say #### it and got a asus maximus hero z690 and a 13900k ... now my wife get my asus crossfire dark hero x570 board and 5900x .

The shame is endless as I only got the 5900x in like June and the board in September... just gotta squeeze every little fps out ....

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 11-27-2022 at 12:21 AM.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:44 AM   #2788
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any good 1440p monitors on sale for Black Friday?
Old 12-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #2789
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone using a KVM switch with their gaming pc, to work station, notice any detriment to their gaming?
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #2790
photon

Exp:

Contacted Best Buy since the original date for the 4090 orders I think has gone by.. they said they have no idea when they'll be getting stock to fill the orders.

Facebook prices have gone way up, which makes sense as they seem harder to come by now than 3 weeks ago.

Also rumour that the 4080 is going to get a price cut soon, would have to be pretty significant to make me take another look at it.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #2791
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's pretty annoying seeing 78 4080s in stock but 0 4090s since November 18th.

The only positive is it gives me more time to wait for prices to drop on the other parts I'm getting. I did get the RAM and an M.2 on Black Friday for a price I don't think will go down in the next month.

It might get to a point though where I just build it and then use my 2070 Super until I get a 4090.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #2792
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I built my first ever PC last weekend. It was time to upgrade my home office PC, so I decided to invest into a higher performing machine for potential games as well.

GPU: 3070ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7
RAM: 32GB
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Case: Meshify C

While the build was relatively simple, I had a whole bunch of learnings on the way.

1. I missed one standoff on the motherboard but it seems stable and everything looks fine.
2. Memex advised me that the case I selected would be fine with my components but they were wrong. First, the case does not fit the radiator on top so it needs to be front mounted. I knew this going in but what myself or memory express apparently didn't realize is that the GPU is too long which means the fans need to be installed on the outside of case (but under the mesh). I went and did that and it was ok, but the fans (140mm) are too wide to get the front of the case back on. So I went back to the store, got 2 slim 120mm fans and did the same set up, which worked. Kinda annoyed that this could've easily been fixed by just getting a different case at the beginning what here we are.
3. I think I've put the GPU in and taken it out at least 10 times now because I didn't really know what I was doing and it's so large it blocks a ton of stuff (sata ports, access to the front/bottom sometimes) etc.

Basically, I now just need to finish booting Windows but everything seems to be working ok. My cable management skills are also very weak haha. I think I might add another front slim fan and maybe one more exhaust on the top of the case but overall I'm pretty happy I was able to build this.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #2793
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm confused about how you miss a standoff on the motherboard.

Case sizing is legitimately weird though. PCPartpicker is usually good at this but they were wrong about mine - big red flag "THIS WON'T FIT", but I did the math on all the dimensions based on what was on manufacturers' websites and it all fit fine, and in real life, it all fit fine. But there's so many variables, like maybe your radiator fits but the hoses require too aggressive a bend to get in the right spot, or you can fit the fans you want in the place you want but not without removing the front IO board.

What was the problem with cable management? My understanding is fractal in general and the meshify cases specifically are really easy to cable manage.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #2794
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly, it's because I'm a totally beginner and have never done this before. Essentially I didn't see one of the standoff holes in the motherboard. Totally beginner oversight that I didn't catch until basically everything was already installed.

Regarding cable management, I basically just need to start tidying them up haha. I've just sorta installed things but haven't made it all clean yet. I just wanted to see if I could get the machine to boot up, which was successful.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 02:21 PM   #2795
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if it's an ATX motherboard with 9 standoffs it probably isn't a big deal. It's been so long since I built one in that format I forgot they sometimes have one in the middle.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #2796
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course 80 4090s drop while I'm on my way back home from work.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #2797
photon

Exp:

Wait, 80 FE cards went up on Best Buy for sale? Yeah the tracker says Best Buy had some stock earlier.

They told me earlier my back order would be filled first... Hopefully those 80 were after my order was filled (which it doesn't show as yet).
Old 12-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #2798
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Honestly, it's because I'm a totally beginner and have never done this before. Essentially I didn't see one of the standoff holes in the motherboard. Totally beginner oversight that I didn't catch until basically everything was already installed.

Regarding cable management, I basically just need to start tidying them up haha. I've just sorta installed things but haven't made it all clean yet. I just wanted to see if I could get the machine to boot up, which was successful.
A missing standoff is way better than an extra one. That can cause something to short.

Congrats on the build. It can be addictive.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #2799
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My Arc A380 came today. I know y'all are jealous.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #2800
photon

Exp:

A case with wood, nice! Looks great.