Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #721
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tesla has been studying whether parts made by its China-based suppliers are compliant with local regulations in North America, and if they are, could ship China-made Model Y and Model 3 cars for sale there as soon as next year, said [two people with knowledge of the planning told Reuters], who declined to be named as the matter is private.

That could also open a channel for exports to Canada, one of the people said.

Until recently, Tesla had been selling or shipping for export every vehicle it could produce in Shanghai, but inventory levels rose by their largest margin ever in October, according to data from brokerage CMBI.
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-might-exp...ort-1849774172

Interesting, Tesla has never faced a demand problem before. With China being such a huge market, I'm a little surprised to see demand softening there, but I guess they have loads of competition in EVs now. I wonder if this is the first domino in demand weakening falling, and the trend will continue globally.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #722
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-might-exp...ort-1849774172

Interesting, Tesla has never faced a demand problem before. With China being such a huge market, I'm a little surprised to see demand softening there, but I guess they have loads of competition in EVs now. I wonder if this is the first domino in demand weakening falling, and the trend will continue globally.
While there's a bit of weakening demand in China, I'm not sure it's as much of demand falling as production escalating. Tesla invested a lot in September to increase capacity significantly there. I'm pretty sure all model 3 and model y for Europe are made there too. It's estimated they could produce over a million cars there per year now and I don't think the market there is as hungry as here now
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:40 PM   #723
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll see. I suspect this is just what Tesla looks like as competitors move in. I know Musk has a goal of producing 20 million cars a year by 2030, and they may be able to, I'm just not convinced they'll have the demand for it. I know they were looknig at a factory in Canada, but maybe the expansion plans slow down as they shift around global production.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:06 PM   #724
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We'll see. I suspect this is just what Tesla looks like as competitors move in. I know Musk has a goal of producing 20 million cars a year by 2030, and they may be able to, I'm just not convinced they'll have the demand for it. I know they were looknig at a factory in Canada, but maybe the expansion plans slow down as they shift around global production.
I think you're kind of right, but it's a weird market. It's hard to wrap your head around but they've lost a lot of market share in EVs, despite gaining a massive increase in market share of all vehicles. There's a lot more Tesla's to be sold, but a lot, lot, lot more EVs to be sold. I can't see 20 million cars per year. No one sells more than Toyota and they do less than 10. I could see another doubling though. They'll do 1.5M this year and probably 2M next year. There's room I think for a fair bit more
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #725
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
J1772 / CCS is somewhat interchangible terminology. Level 3 just has the additional lower ports for the DC connections.

The point is, the worlds car manufacturers have determined a standard for EV charging. Tesla even uses it worldwide.

Every Tesla sold now in north America is a vehicle that will require an adaptor to charge in the future - EVEN at tesla's own stations.
Tesla just announced they are opening up their charging design to the free market and even had the balls to call it the "North American Charging Standard"

With Tesla having a reported 70% of the current EV market in NA currently, this could possibly signal a heavier shift toward Tesla's standard from CCS in NA.

I doubt this will proliferate to the world however, as it's too late to capture China. Tesla should have open sourced this standard years ago.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:37 PM   #726
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Tesla just announced they are opening up their charging design to the free market and even had the balls to call it the "North American Charging Standard"

With Tesla having a reported 70% of the current EV market in NA currently, this could possibly signal a heavier shift toward Tesla's standard from CCS in NA.

I doubt this will proliferate to the world however, as it's too late to capture China. Tesla should have open sourced this standard years ago.
no, i read this as the opposite. this is a last ditch effort from Tesla to avoid having to refit all of their cars and stations to CCS.

no other manufacturer is going to switch away from the agreed on standard, especially when even Tesla uses CCS elsewhere in the world.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:40 PM   #727
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post

Also could you point out how Tesla owners will have to use adapters to use Tesla's own stations?
easy.

its probably not very far away where every Tesla in North America will have CCS, and every new supercharger station will be CCS.

eventually, the existing tesla connector will be phased out, and every tesla vehicle being sold right now without CCS will require an adaptor.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #728
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Tesla adapter definitely looks better because of its size, so technically it would be better to go with. But I just can't see manufacturers shifting to a "Tesla" standard, given how they've seen Musk behave these past few years.

Best size comparison I have seen.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #729
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The Tesla plug really is the best ergonomically. It's sleek, comfortable in the hand. Doesn't have any awkward clicking/locking parts, has a button to open the charging port automatically, and it's lightweight.

I hate CCS being so bulky.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #730
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Tesla plug handle is so small and light because the company's accepted margin of safety is lower, not because they're miraculously better at miniaturizing things. CCS is "bulky" because it's designed to handle more power, to have more and better insulation.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #731
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The Tesla plug handle is so small and light because the company's accepted margin of safety is lower, not because they're miraculously better at miniaturizing things. CCS is "bulky" because it's designed to handle more power, to have more and better insulation.

links? sources?

Last edited by ripTDR; 11-13-2022 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add on
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #732
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ohm's Law and Joule's First Law

More current through a given conductor = more heat generated, eventually to the point it becomes too hot to handle and begins melting the insulation. This is how every electrical cable and connector on the planet works; it's physics.

The SAE Combo connector has big, dedicated DC pins with plenty of space between them so that the risk of overheating and arcing is reduced. That's precisely why it looks the way it does.

Tesla claim they have "successfully tested their connector up to 900 A without liquid cooling" and I'd want to know by what measure it "succeeded". Didn't melt in <5 minutes? Newer "V3" Tesla Superchargers use liquid-cooled cords; they have to to keep the cable anywhere near as small without overheating.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:41 PM   #733
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Ohm's Law and Joule's First Law

More current through a given conductor = more heat generated, eventually to the point it becomes too hot to handle and begins melting the insulation. This is how every electrical cable and connector on the planet works; it's physics.

The SAE Combo connector has big, dedicated DC pins with plenty of space between them so that the risk of overheating and arcing is reduced. That's precisely why it looks the way it does.

Tesla claim they have "successfully tested their connector up to 900 A without liquid cooling" and I'd want to know by what measure it "succeeded". Didn't melt in <5 minutes? Newer "V3" Tesla Superchargers use liquid-cooled cords; they have to to keep the cable anywhere near as small without overheating.

Wow, so you presumably know so much more than Tesla engineers because you obviously are privy to their inside knowledge that we are not. If they are within code, which I presume they are, then whats so unsafe about what they are doing? Are you saying they are putting people at risk? Is a regular supercharger unsafe in its intended use?

What do you know that everyone else doesn't?

Also, no links or sources? No papers stating your claims?

Last edited by ripTDR; 11-13-2022 at 04:45 PM. Reason: want more info
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #734
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jesus Christ pal, roll up the jump-to-conclusions mat. I said "the company's accepted margin of safety is lower". I didn't say you're gonna die if you touch the thing.

As for how I know all this, it isn't ####ing rocket science: it's basic electrical engineering.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #735
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

the wait for most new Tesla's is down to about a month or so in US/ CANADA - for consumers this is a good thing not sure if this is great for Tesla long term
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #736
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
the wait for most new Tesla's is down to about a month or so in US/ CANADA - for consumers this is a good thing not sure if this is great for Tesla long term
Wow, that's a big drop. Didn't it get one to 1.5 years or something?
Old 11-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #737
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Used Teslas not selling for more than used ones now then?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #738
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
My turnaround from order to delivery was 1.5 days last month. I went online and there was inventory. I picked it up on the weekend. They were completely slammed with deliveries, provided basically zero customer service, handover, training, or any after care. They didn't even have time to wash the car since it was 30 cars deep and they apologized. They were just trying to get people out the door as fast as they could.

There are a bunch in stock right now in Calgary inventory.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-15-2022 at 12:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #739
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

Quote:
yes some models did get up there for deliveries but it depends on what type of model, and what options you picked - location seemed to matter quite a bit as well with some people out east getting the short end of the stick
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #740
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
A bit part of Saturn advertising was their plastic body work and commercials often showed them throwing and slamming objects into them all the time.

<thats-the-joke.jpg>
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: