Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #21
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just ask your GP for Twinrix, if you have enough time to take the series of shots before you depart. But even that is probably overkill.

Duns River Falls isn't a must see IMO, especially since it is a bit of a trip from where you're staying. There's lots of great beaches and restaurants in Montego Bay. Go visit Hedo Rick.

NSFW!

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
which resort? I had a client in Jamaica so used to spend 1/2 my time on the island, so got around quite a bit. it's AWESOME.

Cheese's suggestions are spot on. though i didn't mind just relaxing on the beach/resort also. If you wanna check out the party scene, margarita ville is decent on any night, given that it is a touristy spot. on friday nights, "pier 1" is an awesome outdoor bar/lounge on the docks that is one of my favourite drinking spots on the island.

the green, rum, red stripes, women, beaches of the island are amazing, enjoy (each come with their own risks/disclaimers so be careful).
It'll be the Sunset Beach Resort @ Montego Bay.
Im looking forward to the R&R for a week and the wedding, also having my phone turned off.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #23
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Just ask your GP for Twinrix, if you have enough time to take the series of shots before you depart. But even that is probably overkill.

Duns River Falls isn't a must see IMO, especially since it is a bit of a trip from where you're staying. There's lots of great beaches and restaurants in Montego Bay. Go visit Hedo Rick.

NSFW!

As per usual for me, I put it off to the last month. Would that be enough time?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #24
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The official website recommends 4 weeks to get the minimum dose (first dose, 1 week after first, 3 weeks after first) on the rapid schedule. But check with your doc. I found conflicting info from a quick Google search on whether JA is a risky area for Hep A and B anyway.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #25
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a few times..never got shots beforehand. Up to you.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
gkatyal
Draft Pick

We have done Jamaica twice now. Some of the things we really enjoyed are as follows:

Rum tour - it is actaully cheaper to buy your rum from here than anywhere. Airport is the same price but does not have the selection.
Dunn's falls was nice
YS falls. Not quite as touristy but really cool. No pressure tour guides. You take a tractor ride through a farm land to get to them and you can do a rope swing right into one of the pools.
Negril for sure 7 miles of unbroken beach that feels like silica sand.
Food food food.

Things to watch out for

Airport do not use the luggage guys. It is a mere 50 yard walk from the door to you bus.
Weed is widely available but is illegal for non-rasta people to have.
Shopping is not bad off resort but try and go to the local malls. Tourist shopping is high pressure and you will get bent over.

Hopefully this helps.
Oh in regards to shots we never got any but hepatitis ones are not a bad idea.
gkatyal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gkatyal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #27
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

We stopped at Montego Bay for a cruise one day. Went rafting down some river, was half decent.

The only thing we really, really, really hated was all the women in the streets basically stalking the ladies in our group trying to braid their hair. It's one thing to just ask, be told no and then move on... they don't move on and just hound you. We eventually said screw it and went back to the boat...

So I didn't get much time to explore the area or meet the people, so that's my limited view on the area...
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #28
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is an excursion to Bob Marley's birthplace and place of interment. We loved it. You can actually buy and smoke weed there, if you're so inclined. It's a longish bus ride up the mountain. It was one of the most fun things we did.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #29
BuckminsterFuller
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Having lived and worked there for 5 years, my advice is to go elsewhere. One of the highest murder rates in the Americas and when I lived there, 3 traffic fatalities every 2 days. I saw the wrong end of guns 4 times and lived to tell.

Avoid the tourist traps of Dunns River and anything connected to Bob. His bith place and tomb is over run by begging rasta scum. Worst times I ever had were in MoBay.

You want fun and adventure, rent a motorcycle and head into the villages in the hills or out towards Treasure Beach on the south coast past Negril. Stop at local shops for a hot Dragon and bun and cheese.

If you make it to Kingston, dine at the Grog Shoppe.

If you want to stay safe, go from airport to air conditioned bus to the razor wire fenced compound of your all inclusive and then go back home again. But then I know someone who did that for a honeymoon only to have his bride raped in their hotel room.

If you're not going to leave the hotel, you may as well stay home, get a truck load of sand dropped off and plug in a sunlamp.

Food - Try Sour Sop and jackfruit. Sour Sop ice cream is terrific. Citrus should be in season.

Go local for Mannish Water (literally goats head soup), curry goat and white rice. Jerk chicken or pork is good. Aki and salt fish is a wonderful breakfast. Eat it with Johnny Cakes. Consume as much fresh fish as you possibly can.

Weed is illegal but tolerated as long as you are not in public with it. NEVER travel with it. Smoke a spliff (one per person, never shared) in your cabanna/room or somewhere private. Not on the beach or walking down the street (you'd get away with that at home not there). When I lived there it was a constant $1US for spliff and $2US for a beer, that was local prices, not tourist prices and it never varied with the always depreciating exchange rate.

Bring home Tia Maria, 21 yr old Appletons and Blue Mtn Coffee.

Always remember you are in a foreign country.

Last edited by BuckminsterFuller; 01-03-2015 at 12:42 PM.
BuckminsterFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuckminsterFuller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #30
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Drink Red stripe and eat jerk chicken.
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #31
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Been a few times..never got shots beforehand. Up to you.
Sounds like the general consensus that it'll be fine to pass on the shots, Thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #32
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Sounds like the general consensus that it'll be fine to pass on the shots, Thanks guys!
I don't agree. It takes just one little slip up to mess up your health forever. I'm always up to date with my shots before I travel. I've been to Jamaica many times. The water is inconsistent and in Negril the water system is sketchy at best.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #33
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckminsterFuller View Post
(one per person, never shared)
What is the logic behind this?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #34
gkatyal
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckminsterFuller View Post
Having lived and worked there for 5 years, my advice is to go elsewhere. One of the highest murder rates in the Americas and when I lived there, 3 traffic fatalities every 2 days. I saw the wrong end of guns 4 times and lived to tell.

Avoid the tourist traps of Dunns River and anything connected to Bob. His bith place and tomb is over run by begging rasta scum. Worst times I ever had were in MoBay.

You want fun and adventure, rent a motorcycle and head into the villages in the hills or out towards Treasure Beach on the south coast past Negril. Stop at local shops for a hot Dragon and bun and cheese.

If you make it to Kingston, dine at the Grog Shoppe.

If you want to stay safe, go from airport to air conditioned bus to the razor wire fenced compound of your all inclusive and then go back home again. But then I know someone who did that for a honeymoon only to have his bride raped in their hotel room.

If you're not going to leave the hotel, you may as well stay home, get a truck load of sand dropped off and plug in a sunlamp.

Food - Try Sour Sop and jackfruit. Sour Sop ice cream is terrific. Citrus should be in season.

Go local for Mannish Water (literally goats head soup), curry goat and white rice. Jerk chicken or pork is good. Aki and salt fish is a wonderful breakfast. Eat it with Johnny Cakes. Consume as much fresh fish as you possibly can.

Weed is illegal but tolerated as long as you are not in public with it. NEVER travel with it. Smoke a spliff (one per person, never shared) in your cabanna/room or somewhere private. Not on the beach or walking down the street (you'd get away with that at home not there). When I lived there it was a constant $1US for spliff and $2US for a beer, that was local prices, not tourist prices and it never varied with the always depreciating exchange rate.

Bring home Tia Maria, 21 yr old Appletons and Blue Mtn Coffee.

Always remember you are in a foreign country.
I brought back the 21 year old, it cost me $125 USD, but if you can find the Masters Blend 30 yr old ($90 USD) it is actually rated higher. Mind you these rums are not meant for mixing but are to be enjoyed as you would for a fine bourbon.
gkatyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #35
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

My TA was pushing travel insurance, I opted out. Wise choice or should I go through my bank and get a cheap plan?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

“Epic in every sense of that word: sweeping, mythic, over-the-top, colossal and dizzyingly complex. It’s also raw, dense, violent, scalding, darkly comic, exhilarating and exhausting — a testament to Mr. James’s vaulting ambition and prodigious talent.”—The New York Times

On December 3, 1976, just before the Jamaican general election and two days before Bob Marley was to play the Smile Jamaica Concert, gunmen stormed his house, machine guns blazing. The attack nearly killed the Reggae superstar, his wife, and his manager, and injured several others. Marley would go on to perform at the free concert on December 5, but he left the country the next day, not to return for two years.

Deftly spanning decades and continents and peopled with a wide range of characters—assassins, journalists, drug dealers, and even ghosts—A Brief History of Seven Killings is the fictional exploration of that dangerous and unstable time and its bloody aftermath, from the streets and slums of Kingston in the ‘70s, to the crack wars in ‘80s New York, to a radically altered Jamaica in the ‘90s. Brilliantly inventive and stunningly ambitious, this novel is a revealing modern epic that will secure Marlon James’ place among the great literary talents of his generation.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My TA was pushing travel insurance, I opted out. Wise choice or should I go through my bank and get a cheap plan?
You should definitely get travel health insurance if you don't have it through your work insurance.

I wouldn't bother with things like trip interruption or cancellation insurance or stuff like that. The chances that you'll need it are very low and making a claim is a hassle and sometimes they won't even cover things that they should. Also, if you paid with a gold or platinum credit card, there's a good chance you get some basic insurance with that.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #38
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My business includes insurance. You should have lots of travel medical, but I'd skip the cancellation and baggage insurance. Get whatever you can from your credit card and self insure the rest. We travel a lot and if we had to lose a trip now the savings over the years would more than cover it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #39
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got back on Monday from Jamaica, amazing experience.

Dunn's river was amazing - we did the Cool Running's Cruise, it'll be something I never forget.

The resort was clean, food was amazing. I already miss the Jerk Chicken.

Already planning on a trip back to experience more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #40
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone,

I am going on my first all-inclusive in a few weeks to Mexico. Secrets at Cabo San Lucas.

Are there any tips you all might have for stuff to bring, stuff to do, etc? I read on some travel sites people recommend bringing your own travel mug so the bartenders can just top up your poison and go throughout the day. Seems a little weird to me to be drinking from a travel mug though :/

Thoughts?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote