Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #161
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Ledgerwood is just messing around, but if Pasquotti were to sign in one of the Scandanavian top flights that would be a good move.

Also I'm hearing the league will start a few weeks earlier this year in order to try and minimize fixture congestion. Given that it snowed during the first game in May and snowed most of October it will be hard to get a proper season in without a little bit of poor weather.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #162
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I think Ledgerwood is just messing around, but if Pasquotti were to sign in one of the Scandanavian top flights that would be a good move.

Also I'm hearing the league will start a few weeks earlier this year in order to try and minimize fixture congestion. Given that it snowed during the first game in May and snowed most of October it will be hard to get a proper season in without a little bit of poor weather.
I think this makes sense and is a good idea. Having late October/early November games in Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg is playing with fire. We lucked out with the weather in the final. Could easily have been -15. It might be a little inclement in late April, but unlikely to be nearly as cold.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #163
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

The season starting a bit earlier is definitely a good idea. Players transferred to CanPL from warmer climates will get a bit of a shock, though!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #164
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think Wanderers and Pacific could host earlier/later season games. Southern Ontario could also probably do it (yes I recognize it snowed during Forge's home opener)

I agree a little snow is better to contend with than too cold...

Last edited by Johnny199r; 01-24-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #165
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
The season starting a bit earlier is definitely a good idea. Players transferred to CanPL from warmer climates will get a bit of a shock, though!

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #166
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to league to start a little earlier for selfish reasons.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #167
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Season starting mid-april and finishing mid-October is my ideal situation. Good weather on the Finals on Nov 2 was a gift from the gods, but we shouldn't get used to that. Soccer in -10 weather is a completely different game and the quality on the pitch suffers as a result.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #168
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Season starting mid-april and finishing mid-October is my ideal situation. Good weather on the Finals on Nov 2 was a gift from the gods, but we shouldn't get used to that. Soccer in -10 weather is a completely different game and the quality on the pitch suffers as a result.
A mid October finish would be ideal but I'm thinking that if the season starts earlier, it's because the league wants to spread out the games more rather than end the season earlier.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #169
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
A mid October finish would be ideal but I'm thinking that if the season starts earlier, it's because the league wants to spread out the games more rather than end the season earlier.
That's exactly what they are trying to do. Cavalry played 38 games in 6 months. That's on par with what clubs in Europe who go deep into cup and European competition play, but with significantly longer travel involved. The most extreme example I can find is Sevilla playing 62 games over 9 months in 2015-16.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #170
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

While not directly related to the CPL, it sounds like Canadians will now be considered internationals on USL clubs starting in 2021. They have been considered domestics on USL clubs for the last few years.

The number of Canadians on American USL clubs went down fairly drastically in 2019, and this can only help the CPL retain more talent as the league expands.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #171
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While not directly related to the CPL, it sounds like Canadians will now be considered internationals on USL clubs starting in 2021. They have been considered domestics on USL clubs for the last few years.

The number of Canadians on American USL clubs went down fairly drastically in 2019, and this can only help the CPL retain more talent as the league expands.
I think ultimately this is good news for the CPL. However, I wonder if it is a disadvantage for the players themselves?
Old 01-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #172
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think ultimately this is good news for the CPL. However, I wonder if it is a disadvantage for the players themselves?
In the short term, definitely a disadvantage for the better Canadian players. USL pays in USD, doesn’t have a sub $1m CAD salary cap, and probably can pay a fair amount more.

In the medium and long term, once the cap doubles (or the dollar moves back to par), CanPL will have more spaces and has the growth potential to be bigger and pay more.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #173
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
In the short term, definitely a disadvantage for the better Canadian players. USL pays in USD, doesn’t have a sub $1m CAD salary cap, and probably can pay a fair amount more.

In the medium and long term, once the cap doubles (or the dollar moves back to par), CanPL will have more spaces and has the growth potential to be bigger and pay more.
Some USL clubs pay more than CPL, some pay less. Depends on the club.

As an example, the 3 Canadians on Indy 11 probably earn more than they would in CPL.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #174
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Foothills' schedule for 2020 is out. USL League Two website says they play at MRU but my guy at the Cavalry says they are actually playing at U of C this year.

Home games are as follows:

1. May 15 vs Lane United - 7 pm
2. May 17 vs Lane United - 2 pm
3. May 29 vs Vancouver TSS Rovers - 7 pm
4. May 31 vs Vancouver TSS Rovers - 3 pm
5. June 27 vs Portland Timbers U23 - 12 pm
6. July 10 vs TFA Willamette - 7 pm
7. July 12 vs TFA Willamette - 2 pm

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/schedul...bseason=670333

I think this may be the last year of USL League Two in Calgary as the CSA is continuing their process of no longer sanctioning clubs in US leagues. BC League 1 is likely to be starting in 2021, so the BC clubs will no longer receiving sanctioning to play in USL League Two in that case. Victoria Highlanders have decided to play in PCSL in anticipation and both BC clubs will likely move to BC League 1 in 2021.

That puts Foothills in a tough spot as they are back to being the only Canadian club in the NW division in 2021. I believe Foothills are in talks with a number of other teams in Western Canada (including Victoria Highlanders and TSS Rovers) in starting a Canadian second division to replace USL League Two.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 12:58 AM   #175
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary Foothills' schedule for 2020 is out. USL League Two website says they play at MRU but my guy at the Cavalry says they are actually playing at U of C this year.

Home games are as follows:

1. May 15 vs Lane United - 7 pm
2. May 17 vs Lane United - 2 pm
3. May 29 vs Vancouver TSS Rovers - 7 pm
4. May 31 vs Vancouver TSS Rovers - 3 pm
5. June 27 vs Portland Timbers U23 - 12 pm
6. July 10 vs TFA Willamette - 7 pm
7. July 12 vs TFA Willamette - 2 pm

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/schedul...bseason=670333

I think this may be the last year of USL League Two in Calgary as the CSA is continuing their process of no longer sanctioning clubs in US leagues. BC League 1 is likely to be starting in 2021, so the BC clubs will no longer receiving sanctioning to play in USL League Two in that case. Victoria Highlanders have decided to play in PCSL in anticipation and both BC clubs will likely move to BC League 1 in 2021.

That puts Foothills in a tough spot as they are back to being the only Canadian club in the NW division in 2021. I believe Foothills are in talks with a number of other teams in Western Canada (including Victoria Highlanders and TSS Rovers) in starting a Canadian second division to replace USL League Two.
Is MRC 1, just for ####ing decoration or what?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #176
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Escalante hinted that he is signing somewhere soon on his Instagram.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #177
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I DM'd Escalante wishing him luck in 2020 so let's see if he responds.

Regarding Pasquotti, I have enough reason to believe he is staying. Hope my attempting to connect the dots is right on this one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #178
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, Escalante is definitely gone.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #179
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reads like multiple signings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry FC
🗣️ STAY TUNED!

News tomorrow morning on player announcements for your Cavalry FC.

🤷 Who can it be?

#CavsFC #NewSigning #RideWithUs
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #180
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Hopefully Pasquotti. Even with him the turnover from last season will be huge. It's going to be an enormous task for Tommy to get this team functioning like it was last season with all the key contributors it looks like we may be without.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fc edmonton is no good , footie , go cavs