Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #1541
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just what LFC need - another game!

FA Cup is dumb
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #1542
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Just what LFC need - another game!

FA Cup is dumb
Agreed.

Its not ideal, but at the same time we're not spending a lot of energy from our regular players on it.

Shrewsbury played well. Unfortunately for Liverpool we were hampered by fielding a back 4 that included "The Bollard of the Balkans."

The other three back there should have known better than to expect Dejan Lovren to actually a clear a simple through ball as opposed to his patented Trademark 'World Class Whiff.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #1543
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FA Cup is awesome, particularly at this stage of the tournament. I live seeing a big club travel to a ground where they get 1500-2500 people out. I think it's fantastic.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #1544
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the FA Cup is fine. The replays are super dumb, that's all.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #1545
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the FA Cup is fine. The replays are super dumb, that's all.
I can agree with that to an extent. I dont mind the matches so much, but there are too many of them as it is, adding replays sucks.

I mean, its great that Shrewsbury are going to come to Anfield, that'll be a real boost for them financially and a blast for their players I'm sure, but Liverpool are going to field the U23s and some players returning from injury again so I dont know how great thats going to be for the fans.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #1546
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I can agree with that to an extent. I dont mind the matches so much, but there are too many of them as it is, adding replays sucks.

I mean, its great that Shrewsbury are going to come to Anfield, that'll be a real boost for them financially and a blast for their players I'm sure, but Liverpool are going to field the U23s and some players returning from injury again so I dont know how great thats going to be for the fans.
Well that's just Liverpool though. They've got competitions for a few other trophies so they're prioritizing and as a result are playing the U23's. For other clubs that's not the case. United played a decent enough squad today, Spurs and Southampton were both at full strength yesterday and not everyone uses it to run out the youth. I would say that's particularly the case in the latter stages where the teams are generally a little stronger as well.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #1547
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

At least they only have one replay now. It used to be unlimited.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/foo...n-top-1.686107

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...longest-fa-cup

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-26-2020 at 02:43 PM.
GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #1548
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well that's just Liverpool though. They've got competitions for a few other trophies so they're prioritizing and as a result are playing the U23's. For other clubs that's not the case. United played a decent enough squad today, Spurs and Southampton were both at full strength yesterday and not everyone uses it to run out the youth. I would say that's particularly the case in the latter stages where the teams are generally a little stronger as well.
Look...its not my fault that your clubs are duking it out for some low-rent, third-rate, also-ran Teacup Trophy because its the only slight glimmer of meagre hope remaining in your otherwise bleak and soullessly vacuous excuse for a season.

Okay, I'm totally kidding, I actually like the FA Cup for largely the reasons you stated, today it was a blast watching United play at Prenton Park because that pitch is a nightmare, but for those of us who play on pitches like that (or here in Calgary often far, far worse) week in and week out its kind of cool to watch Professionals play on the same crappy surfaces we have to deal with.

And watching Big Clubs go up against small clubs in small venues is a lot of fun. I often enjoy watching some of the really small matchups where they've cobbled together advertising boards from whatever local businesses they could, seemingly at the last minute.

"Buy Poppa's Pies! The Third best pies available in the South Midlands!"

But I think we can all agree that fixture congestion is a real problem and its only getting worse.

Most clubs just want a result, one way or the other with replays to be avoided at (almost) all costs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #1549
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look...its not my fault that your clubs are duking it out for some low-rent, third-rate, also-ran Teacup Trophy because its the only slight glimmer of meagre hope remaining in your otherwise bleak and soullessly vacuous excuse for a season.

Okay, I'm totally kidding, I actually like the FA Cup for largely the reasons you stated, today it was a blast watching United play at Prenton Park because that pitch is a nightmare, but for those of us who play on pitches like that (or here in Calgary often far, far worse) week in and week out its kind of cool to watch Professionals play on the same crappy surfaces we have to deal with.

And watching Big Clubs go up against small clubs in small venues is a lot of fun. I often enjoy watching some of the really small matchups where they've cobbled together advertising boards from whatever local businesses they could, seemingly at the last minute.

"Buy Poppa's Pies! The Third best pies available in the South Midlands!"

But I think we can all agree that fixture congestion is a real problem and its only getting worse.

Most clubs just want a result, one way or the other with replays to be avoided at (almost) all costs.
Yeah and that's the coolest part. Watching the pros play on "real" surfaces against a team of farmers and plumbers is pretty awesome. Did Poch need to bring Kane in against Tranmere last year? Of course not, and if his biscuit ankles crumbled then he'd never have heard the end of it. But those young fans will remember that kind of thing forever. It's really incredible in this day and age to have those huge clubs coming and playing sort of meaningful games all over the country.

Fixture congestion is a problem. Eliminate the Carabao Cup that no one actually cares about as a start, get rid of the replays and you can alleviate some of that though.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #1550
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah and that's the coolest part. Watching the pros play on "real" surfaces against a team of farmers and plumbers is pretty awesome. Did Poch need to bring Kane in against Tranmere last year? Of course not, and if his biscuit ankles crumbled then he'd never have heard the end of it. But those young fans will remember that kind of thing forever. It's really incredible in this day and age to have those huge clubs coming and playing sort of meaningful games all over the country.

Fixture congestion is a problem. Eliminate the Carabao Cup that no one actually cares about as a start, get rid of the replays and you can alleviate some of that though.
Yeah, that has to be done. The FA Cup seems like it drags on forever.

And think about it, instead of a replay they take that Liverpool/Shrewsbury game to a shootout to get a result and you could really see Shrewsbury take it.

They fought their way back from 2-0 down, I'll give them credit they gave us an own-goal and we gave them 96 minutes playing against the 'Croatian Colossus of Calamity!'

I think thats more than fair.

My point is you might see more Giant-Killing this way and thus see more smaller teams advance.

I guess the double edged sword of that argument is that you might then see the FA Cup devolve into more of the style of the International games where minnows sit back behind the ball and play for penalties against teams they think they cant beat otherwise.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #1551
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. If you thought you dont prioritize the FA Cup you are not alone.

Quote:
Shrewsbury's players and fans celebrated wildly at the prospect of a trip to Anfield, but Klopp was not amused.

The new Premier League winter break means all clubs will have a blank weekend. Liverpool, who lead the table by a massive 16 points, would have had no league game between facing Southampton on Feb. 1 and Norwich City on Feb. 15. Now they will host Shrewsbury in the week beginning Feb. 3.

"In April 2019, we got a letter from the Premier League where they asked us to respect the winter break, not to organise friendlies and not to organise competitive games in respect of it," Klopp told reporters. "I have said to the boys already, two weeks ago, that we will have a winter break, so it means we will not be there -- it will be the kids who play that game because they cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it.

"I know it is not very popular, but that's the way I see it. The Premier League asked us to respect the winter break and that's what we'll do. If then the FA do not respect it then we cannot change. But we will not be there."

Klopp also confirmed that Liverpool's under-23s coach Neil Critchley would manage the team in that game.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpoo...hrewsbury-town

Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #1552
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont mind playing the kids at all

But Klopp not showing up is disrespectful
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #1553
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I do think FA Cup replays are going to be a thing of the past

They already cut them from the 5th round on, wont be long until they are gotten rid of entirely

I still think best thing to do would be to have the christmas period run through a bunch of FA cup rounds instead of league games, would obviously have to cut replays and probably extra time too, do penalties after 90

Between the 21st and 29th most premier league teams played 3x, run the fa cup then and it gets you through the 5th round

Gets you to the qf, cuts down on a bunch of teams games
Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #1554
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Eh, the lower league teams play 46 matches compared to the Premier Leagues 38. Tranmere is really backed up now, 3 matches behind some teams and facing relegation.

Going away and getting a draw to force a replay is still something.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #1555
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

And honestly, if they were that upset about the idea of a replay the should have taken care of business the first time. It's not like this was a grueling game against a PL club. I have zero sympathy for them and their whinging.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #1556
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

To whom? Liverpool are fielding the U23s. The U23 coach will be in charge.

Seems to make sense.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #1557
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And honestly, if they were that upset about the idea of a replay the should have taken care of business the first time. It's not like this was a grueling game against a PL club. I have zero sympathy for them and their whinging.
In public Klopp is complaining about replays and his gripe about having a replay scheduled during a 'Winter Break' seems legit. Its either a League mandated break or it isnt. He promised his players a rest and hes keeping that promise.

In reality I think everyone realizes that this is all Dejan Lovren's fault. We would have taken care of business...but putting Lovren on....what was Klopp thinking? Trying to raise his value for a transfer?

He is the Croatian 'Phil Jones.'

Okay....okay, lets not say things we cant take back. Hes not as bad as Phil Jones, but hes in the conversation.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #1558
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In public Klopp is complaining about replays and his gripe about having a replay scheduled during a 'Winter Break' seems legit. Its either a League mandated break or it isnt. He promised his players a rest and hes keeping that promise.

In reality I think everyone realizes that this is all Dejan Lovren's fault. We would have taken care of business...but putting Lovren on....what was Klopp thinking? Trying to raise his value for a transfer?

He is the Croatian 'Phil Jones.'

Okay....okay, lets not say things we cant take back. Hes not as bad as Phil Jones, but hes in the conversation.
I heard a rumour that he was the best in the world? Something like the had taken them to back-to-back CL finals, so the proof was there for all to see!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #1559
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To whom? Liverpool are fielding the U23s. The U23 coach will be in charge.

Seems to make sense.
The team being represented is Liverpool FC

Not the youth set up

Regardless of who he selects to play, they are not representing the u23 team or the reserves, they are representing the main club

He can stay in england an extra 2 days before flying out to Dubai or wherever their winter break camp is
Old 01-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #1560
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United are ready to offer Alexis Sanchez a chance to revive his Old Trafford career in the summer.

Sanchez is spending the season on loan at Inter Milan but the Italian side do not have an option to buy and the Chilean has been told he is expected back at Carrington in July.

The 31-year-old endured a disastrous spell at the club following his move from Arsenal in January 2018 and while United remain open to offers, they will not sanction a cut-price exit to get him off the books.

His £500,000-a-week deal runs until 2022 and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been told it is likely he will have to include the former Barcelona man in his plans for next season.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...season-sources

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: