Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:
Default The inFamous Thread

I can't be the only one extremely excited for this one. Reviews are coming in strong and I've been monitoring the chatter on twitter and anybody who's had the chance to play the demo seems to either think it's excellent or a must buy.

I'm a massive fan of action games like Uncharted, so this has been on my radar for some time now. For those who do not know, the game centers around a character that acquires super powers. While you play as him you must make decisions that will either make him a morally strong super hero that shoots accurate blue lightning or a morally corrupt hero that shoots devastatingly strong red lightning. I realize the "choose your own adventure" type thing has already been done, but apparently it's done really well here.

The demo comes out tonight (Thursday May 21) ... Who's interested?

The review:
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I only really heard about this one this week, although I have vague recollections of it from a while back, but I think I'm going to pick it up next week. I was originally going to buy the new UFC game but when I saw the review on IGN on Tuesday I decided I would save my money for inFamous.

Game sounds very cool, I especially like the idea of being able to climb up any of the buildings that you want to as I find that degree of freedom to be very exciting. The comic book style of story telling is probably the second largest draw for me as it looks like it is done very well.

I'll hold out my hopes for the morality thing as I see too many games that just slap you in the head with the choice of either being the righteous savior or a hate filled monster. It would be nice once in a while to have a choice that is more subtle than being told "Want to save these orphan puppies or drown this kitten (you jerk)?".

I didn't even realize there would be a demo, so I'll probably give that a run sometime this weekend. Thanks for the heads up on that.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boo, only on PS3. First game that actually makes me think I want a PS3 (I'm sure that feeling will pass).

Hopefully it gets released on PC or Xbox360 after a few months.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll definately give the demo a try before deciding if I want to pick this up. I have so many unfinished games right now though that I might just wait a while.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Boo, only on PS3. First game that actually makes me think I want a PS3 (I'm sure that feeling will pass).

It's being published by Sony, so I wouldn't hold your breath. It's too bad really, I wish awesome games could be experienced by everyone regardless of choice in metal box.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was able to get the demo last week at the hong kong psn store....I've played it over a dozen times. It's really fun to just mess around and blow stuff up.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post

Have you seen the gameplay footage of uncharted 2 yet? That will probably be the second game that will make you want a ps3. It looks unbelievable.

One of the main reasons I'm pumped for infamous is that my favorite super hero movies are always the ones where the hero is just starting out. From what I've heard it sounds like the developers captured that feeling really well. I also was listening to a podcast that addressed what whitetom was saying. It sounds like being a good guy is really fun and awesome and being a bad guy is actually kind of difficult because some of the bad decisions are quite bad. Hopefully no kitten drowning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I was able to get the demo last week at the hong kong psn store....I've played it over a dozen times. It's really fun to just mess around and blow stuff up.
Are you telling me it's already available in the china store? I've been sitting around like a chump!?

edit:
Quote:
The inFamous demo isn’t due to hit the PSN until May 21st, but if you were sat watching the Hong Kong PSN Store this morning (as you do) you might just have grabbed the 1 GB playable treat. Sadly it’s since been removed, but it was there for a little while...
ahhh I see.

Last edited by Russic; 05-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we're naming PS3 exclusives must haves coming up, here's another one: Demon's Souls. Just announced for NA already available in Asia.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demo...result;title;0
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

InFamous looks amazing. The full 3 dimensions of exploring freedom has me excited.

I am discernable about which PS3 titles i purchase, and this will definitely be one of them.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been debating for a while between Infamous or Prototype, as they both look like they have similar experiences. I think I'm going to go out and buy this one. I've been following it for a while now.
________
Vaporizer volcano

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Just a heads up if any of you are home today ... the demo is now up on the european psn store. I just created a fake euro account and am downloading it now. If you're interested and not sure how to do it, here's instructions:
http://boards.ign.com/killzone/b6968/176761559/p1/

I had intentions to work today. I really did.

edit: Oh it's good my friends. It's very good. It kind of reminds me of a god of war/GTA/spiderman hybrid. Very very cool. Long demo too.

Last edited by Russic; 05-21-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Played the demo and its actually really fun. Might buy, not sure yet - will have to play it some more tommorow. Really nice graphics and I hear the SP is 20+hrs long, but im worried it will get repetitive fast.
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Dont forget guys.
zellers has 20% off all 360/PS3 games and accessories starting tommorow (Fri) till the 28th. Taking it that Zellers got infamous in (like all other retailers) already, itll bring the cost down from $70 to $56.
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissKat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

all accessories? hmm maybe ill pick up one of those bluetooth keypads
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
Dont forget guys.
zellers has 20% off all 360/PS3 games and accessories starting tommorow (Fri) till the 28th. Taking it that Zellers got infamous in (like all other retailers) already, itll bring the cost down from $70 to $56.
Really?! Thank you very much for the heads up.

edit: aaaaand confirmed. Awesome news!

Last edited by Russic; 05-22-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
Dont forget guys.
'

If I only lived near a Zellers.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
'

If I only lived near a Zellers.
Wow. You're 450 km from the nearest zellers. I'm not sure a 9 hour round trip is worth saving $14. In answer to the question you'll inevitably ask, yes I am bored enough at work to google map where you live in relation to the nearest zellers.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Wow. You're 450 km from the nearest zellers. I'm not sure a 9 hour round trip is worth saving $14. In answer to the question you'll inevitably ask, yes I am bored enough at work to google map where you live in relation to the nearest zellers.
It's actually not that long of a drive but yeah it's not worth the trip. My parents are in Winnipeg right now but I'm not going to make them run around the city looking for a Zellers especially when they're nice enough to pick up my copy of UFC Undisputed from my cousin who got it for me Tuesday after Dell messed up my order.

The only game I could think of wanting right now is Saints Row 2 for the 360. The Infamous demo was alright but I'm not sure yet if it's a buy for me.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game is getting great reviews. Almost all are around 9/10. Maybe game of the year so far over Killzone 2.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #20
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
This game is getting great reviews. Almost all are around 9/10. Maybe game of the year so far over Killzone 2.
According to my geeky podcast people in the business that have played it seem to think uncharted 2 will be the game to beat this year. Did anybody see the gameplay footage from last week? Jumping Jesus it was wild.

Tags
action , infamous , ps3 , superhero , videogames