Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 01:28 PM   #2481
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
A good small player? Aron Kiviharju. He’s 5’10” standing on an apple crate, but he’s an absolute wizard. Doubt he’ll be around for our second pick, but I wouldn’t mind taking him with Vancouver’s pick…
How would you compare Kiviharju and Cole Hutson?

Last edited by Canada 02; 04-28-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 01:36 PM   #2482
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Connelly, Helenius and Eiserman seem to be the three guys really shining and pushing their draft stock up so far in the U18s.

You'd have to be real excited to add a pure sniper like Eiserman who scores goals in buckets. Obviously position is a factor and landing a top line centre is preferred but maybe he could be a trigger man for Huberdeau. The main worry is he is going to be another Gaudreau/Tkachuk and do his 7-ish years and head home, ideally want someone who they can build around for 10 plus
If he impresses in the NHL I think the Flames would just have to pay him early like the Senators did with Tkachuk. Most NHL players still value security and will take the money. Calgary will be a little more attractive when they open their new arena as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 02:32 PM   #2483
serratedmuffin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Something to be aware of: USA has played Lavtia, Norway and Slovakia. I think it's hard to tell how good a player is when you're running up the score against overmatched teams.

Helenius is sort of similar, putting up his points against the same teams.

I think once the good teams face off against each other it'll be a better indication of how they're faring against their peers.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #2484
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

TIL the Flames don't take into account players' height while making their draft list - they save that determination for draft days.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 02:53 PM   #2485
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alfons Freij could be a a great pick with one of our mid picks, injuries tanked his ranking but at one time he was projected to be a high 1st rounder.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 03:08 PM   #2486
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Demidov was injured in the MHL playoffs
https://twitter.com/user/status/1783894015626170470
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #2487
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

That’s a bad look if it’s the same knee as the play didn’t appear to be anything aggressive or look bad..
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 03:14 PM   #2488
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
That’s a bad look if it’s the same knee as the play didn’t appear to be anything aggressive or look bad..
It certainly adds a significant question mark to the draft.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:25 PM   #2489
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
40 point regression is concerning for someone that young.
True, but Buffalo’s top 5 scorers had significant regressions.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:26 PM   #2490
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Demidov was injured in the MHL playoffs
https://twitter.com/user/status/1783894015626170470
If Demidov somehow falls to 9??? Robbery by Conroy
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:56 PM   #2491
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I assume virtually all teams choose the BPA with the possible exception of teams that have been making multiple high picks for years and have stocked their prospect cupboards with more high end players at a certain position.

Chicago and San Jose need everything despite picking high for a few years. I don’t really have a read on if they need forwards more than defencemen. They have both gone scorched earth in their rebuild so every position is a need for them. So I think these teams will go BPA.

Anaheim has also gone scorched earth over the years as well but I think they need defence more than anything. They are pretty loaded up front with skilled centers and they traded Drysdale this season so they could really use a defenceman to replace him. I would expect them to go with a defenceman unless they end up at 1st overall.

Columbus is a bit of a strange one because… out of all the bad teams in the top 5 of the draft, they are the one that is there “by accident” more than the rest IMO. The moves they have made over the last few years have not been really typical of a team trying to rebuild (like Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim). Makes it tough to read what they will go for. Overall, I think they could use a center and/or a defenceman. I think they would be a threat to take Lindstrom or Catton, personally.

Montreal is one of the more likely teams to draft by position. They have a lot of great young defencemen in their system so I think they are likely to take a forward… they could definitely use a center with size. Others have speculated on this thread that they are high on Iginla. I think I recall someone speculating Montreal’s list (outside of Cellebrini) as 1. Demidov 2. Lindstrom 3. Iginla. I think they are the biggest threat to take Iginla in the top 8 of the draft.

Utah is a wild card. They are loaded with picks/prospects from being a bad team for years. I doubt they will trade their pick away and not make a first round pick in their first draft. But I do wonder if they would be a team willing to trade to either drop down or move up in their selection… a way to “make a splash” at their first draft. They have the pieces to afford to do either. Can’t speak to what they need though. They made of a bit of a reach at last years draft to take a big, skilled Russian defenceman. I wonder if they would be a team to double-down on that and take another big, smooth-skating Russian defenceman. Although, I could see them as a threat to take Iginla as well. They could use the name recognition with their pick and Shane Doan (good friends with Jarome) is part of their management group. Hoping he is good enough friends to let Jarome call Tij’s name in the draft for Calgary.

Ottawa needs right-handed defencemen desperately. Don’t have much within their prospects or on their roster so I could see them making that their target at the draft. I’ve mentioned before that I think Ottawa (along with maybe New Jersey) might be the most willing (though still a long shot) team picking in the top ten that would consider trading the pick for immediate help. A legit top pairing defenceman with term could be the centerpiece Ottawa would consider in a trade for their 7th overall pick.

Seattle could use a centermen or a defenceman with offensive skill. Could see them taking Helenius or one of the top defencemen to quarterback a powerplay in the NHL.

I really hope the flames take Iginla but I could understand if they don’t or if he is already gone by 9th overall. It will be BPA for Calgary IMO… but I also think Iginla will the be the BPA for Calgary at their spot (if he is not picked by then).

New Jersey will likely take BPA if they don’t trade their pick to solve their goalie troubles. No specific need - they are a good team outside of goaltending.

Assuming no changes in draft position after the lottery and assuming no trades in the top ten picks, here’s my predictions for each team:

1. San Jose - Celebrini
2. Chicago - Demidov
3. Anaheim - Dickinson
4. Columbus - Catton
5. Montreal - Lindstrom
6. Utah - Silayev
7. Ottawa - Levshunov
8. Seattle - Buium
9. Calgary - Iginla
10. New Jersey - Helenius

Last edited by stemit14; 04-28-2024 at 08:04 PM.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 08:20 PM   #2492
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
TIL the Flames don't take into account players' height while making their draft list - they save that determination for draft days.
That seems quite dumb.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #2493
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will do my own top 16 mock but I am going to wait until the lottery is done.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:56 PM   #2494
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That seems quite dumb.
Your sarcasm meter is broken
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft