Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 09:44 PM   #1681
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think there is zero chance NJ trades its 2024 pick.
Desperation might kick in. Fitz knows this is the last shot he’s got otherwise he’s done.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:50 PM   #1682
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Desperation might kick in. Fitz knows this is the last shot he’s got otherwise he’s done.
I doubt markstrom will be the best goalie available option to NJD. However I still think he’ll be a potential target.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:54 PM   #1683
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
I doubt markstrom will be the best goalie available option to NJD. However I still think he’ll be a potential target.
The only other guy available that is better than Markstrom is Ullmark. Does anyone think Ullmark will come cheaper than Markstrom?
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:01 PM   #1684
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The only other guy available that is better than Markstrom is Ullmark. Does anyone think Ullmark will come cheaper than Markstrom?
If the NJD 2024 1st rounder is being used to solve their goaltending issues. Ullmark is probably the best somewhat proven goalie available but still not the player I would target.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:15 PM   #1685
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the NJD 2024 1st rounder is being used to solve their goaltending issues. Ullmark is probably the best somewhat proven goalie available but still not the player I would target.
You’re thinking Saros. But he isn’t as good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:17 PM   #1686
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wrong.

I would be dangling that pick for only Yaroslav Aaskarov.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:20 PM   #1687
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wrong.

So the Predators get to draft a goalie 11th overall, spend three years developing him, groom him to succeed Saros, and then trade him for… the 10th overall pick?

What's in it for them?
Old 04-22-2024, 10:25 PM   #1688
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This. I agree that Ullmark will cost more than Markstrom but if Dallas is willing to trade their 2024 1st round pick… that alone should be more than enough to get Ullmark. To me, if Calgary really wants that pick from New Jersey, it will take at least the Vancouver 2024 1st round pick as a sweetener… that would be a way to “outbid” Boston for that 10th overall pick. Something like:

To Calgary:
New Jersey’s 2024 1st round pick (10th overall)

To New Jersey:
Markstrom (50% retained)
Vancouver’s 2024 1st round pick (30th overall)
Calgary’s 2nd round pick (42nd overall)

I know that seems like a lot for a single pick… but teams hate trading first round picks at the draft… and they really hate trading top ten picks at the draft… and they really, really hate trading top ten picks for 34-year-old goalies. Going to take a lot to get that pick.

But it would be exciting to see that happen if it meant the flames got Iginla + Lindstrom/Buium/Yakemchuk/Helenius. It would also work out great if Calgary got the pick before they made their own 1st pick… Conroy could announce the first pick (9th overall) and Jarome could announce the second pick (10th overall).

Last edited by stemit14; 04-22-2024 at 10:30 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:26 PM   #1689
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wrong.

Saros is also a free agent next year, if I'm not mistaken?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:30 PM   #1690
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Saros is also a free agent next year, if I'm not mistaken?
They would trade Aaskarov before they trade Saros.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:30 PM   #1691
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Saros signs a 6 or 7 year extension, then maybe Askarov may be available.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:31 PM   #1692
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Devils getting another young goalie to go with Daws and Schmid could blow up in their faces again though. At least with Markstrom, Saros, ullmark they’re getting a proven starter. How many more seasons are Hughes and co. going to be ok with gambling on an unproven goalie
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:42 PM   #1693
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Devils getting another young goalie to go with Daws and Schmid could blow up in their faces again though. At least with Markstrom, Saros, ullmark they’re getting a proven starter. How many more seasons are Hughes and co. going to be ok with gambling on an unproven goalie

Huge difference between Aaskarov and the other mentioned goalies. It’s a gamble either way you look at it. One has a lot more runway than the rest.

Last edited by Sec214; 04-22-2024 at 10:49 PM.
Sec214 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sec214 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 05:04 AM   #1694
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Everything I have heard indicates the Preds will keep Saros. They did have a conversation with the Devils before the trade deadline about him but the price was very high, significantly higher than Markstrom.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:55 AM   #1695
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
This. I agree that Ullmark will cost more than Markstrom but if Dallas is willing to trade their 2024 1st round pick… that alone should be more than enough to get Ullmark. To me, if Calgary really wants that pick from New Jersey, it will take at least the Vancouver 2024 1st round pick as a sweetener… that would be a way to “outbid” Boston for that 10th overall pick. Something like:

To Calgary:
New Jersey’s 2024 1st round pick (10th overall)

To New Jersey:
Markstrom (50% retained)
Vancouver’s 2024 1st round pick (30th overall)
Calgary’s 2nd round pick (42nd overall)

I know that seems like a lot for a single pick… but teams hate trading first round picks at the draft… and they really hate trading top ten picks at the draft… and they really, really hate trading top ten picks for 34-year-old goalies. Going to take a lot to get that pick.

But it would be exciting to see that happen if it meant the flames got Iginla + Lindstrom/Buium/Yakemchuk/Helenius. It would also work out great if Calgary got the pick before they made their own 1st pick… Conroy could announce the first pick (9th overall) and Jarome could announce the second pick (10th overall).
That would not be a good trade. Suspect in about 10 days Colorado will be in the market for a goalie. In 8 days the Kings will be in the market for a goalie and if Freddie Andersson continues to have uneven performances and the Canes do not make it past the 2nd round Carolina could be in the market for a goalie.

If there are 3-4 teams in the market for a goalie there will be way better trades than that one.

https://soundofhockey.com/2022/06/06...aft-picks/amp/

Using that pick value chart your trade values a 50% Markstrom at the value of a 2nd round pick. At that rate of return the Flames might as well keep Markstrom.

If you eat 2 million the Sens might even be willing to give up their first, Pinto and Korpisalo for Markstrom and a second. There are way more options for Conroy than the Devils.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 04-23-2024 at 07:37 AM.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:19 AM   #1696
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Probably can throw Stolarz in to the goalie market mix. He's solid but mostly a product of Florida's system. Teams are always ready to take a flyer on these types of guys in free agency. Veteran goalie, great numbers and he is a giant.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:37 AM   #1697
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Probably can throw Stolarz in to the goalie market mix. He's solid but mostly a product of Florida's system. Teams are always ready to take a flyer on these types of guys in free agency. Veteran goalie, great numbers and he is a giant.
I think there are upwards of 5 teams that will be looking for a goalie this offseason. On the high end (which would be best for the Flames) the Avs and Hurricanes will be looking for a strong veteran that they think can win them a Stanley Cup. The Flames and the Bruins are their best options for trading partners. The Sens I think will be looking for a goalie, their current management group had nothing to do with signing Korpisalo. They probably have had their fill of mediocre veteran goalies as they have tried that route for 3 years. Suspect the Kings and the Devils may be more open to trying a Stolarz route. Either way I think there will be 3-5 teams that Conroy can use to bid up the price on Markstrom.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:46 AM   #1698
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Conroy can play teams against each other but only if Markstrom clears them as a place he is willing to go to.

Who knows what that list will look like.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:47 AM   #1699
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
That would not be a good trade. Suspect in about 10 days Colorado will be in the market for a goalie. In 8 days the Kings will be in the market for a goalie and if Freddie Andersson continues to have uneven performances and the Canes do not make it past the 2nd round Carolina could be in the market for a goalie.

If there are 3-4 teams in the market for a goalie there will be way better trades than that one.

https://soundofhockey.com/2022/06/06...aft-picks/amp/

Using that pick value chart your trade values a 50% Markstrom at the value of a 2nd round pick. At that rate of return the Flames might as well keep Markstrom.

If you are 2 million the Sens might even be willing to give up their first, Pinto and Korpisalo for Markstrom and a second. There are way more options for Conroy than the Devils.
Thing is, stemit is right. The flames aren’t getting anything close to what you suggest.

MAF went for a second. Hall of fame cup winner.

Markstrom alone is not likely to get a first, let an alone a first plus a player. I know there were rumours. You shouldn’t believe them, or I don’t believe them I guess. The league isn’t into 60-70 game starters anymore. Find the last time a mid 30s goalie went for a package in a trade.

The flames might do Markstrom a solid and send him to a place trying to win. I’d guess a 2nd or 3rd in return. Maybe an early 20s throw in prospect.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:51 AM   #1700
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
Thing is, stemit is right. The flames aren’t getting anything close to what you suggest.

MAF went for a second. Hall of fame cup winner.

Markstrom alone is not likely to get a first, let an alone a first plus a player. I know there were rumours. You shouldn’t believe them, or I don’t believe them I guess. The league isn’t into 60-70 game starters anymore. Find the last time a mid 30s goalie went for a package in a trade.

The flames might do Markstrom a solid and send him to a place trying to win. I’d guess a 2nd or 3rd in return. Maybe an early 20s throw in prospect.
Darcy Kuemper got the equivalent of a former late first, a first round pick and a third round pick. I suspect the market for Markstrom is something similar. If they eat a bunch of salary his cap hit would be significantly lower than Kuemper’s was both as a total number and a percentage of cap. I think Kuemper is probably the best comparable.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good