Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #21
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post

Also, the Flames' shoulder flags are the best thing ever put on a hockey jersey. If they take them off the next jersey, the first thing I'm gonna do is buy one and sew flags on it.
Sir...
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I was going to say this.

The team plays in a stadium (for now anyways) named after and shaped like a horse saddle. You're not going to get away from Western Heritage with the Flames, and a horse logo isn't going to change that.
Calgary's Western Heritage is fake. It wasn't a real thing. It was a marketing gimic for stampede when it started and continues to be. There is a difference between the real ranching and farming lifestyle and the Stampede myth.

Also the building was not designed to be shaped like a saddle. It was an ultramodern hyperbolic paraboloid which created a large freed standing roof without supports. It was then co-opted into the western mythology because it looked like a saddle.

I like snotface as a logo on hats and shoulder patches. Was never a fan of the jersey as when blown up the detail just doesn;t work for me.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Calgary's Western Heritage is fake. It wasn't a real thing. It was a marketing gimic for stampede when it started and continues to be. There is a difference between the real ranching and farming lifestyle and the Stampede myth.

Also the building was not designed to be shaped like a saddle. It was an ultramodern hyperbolic paraboloid which created a large freed standing roof without supports. It was then co-opted into the western mythology because it looked like a saddle.

I like snotface as a logo on hats and shoulder patches. Was never a fan of the jersey as when blown up the detail just doesn;t work for me.
The Stampede started in 1912....It wasn't some modern marketing gimic. Calgary has a history of farming and ranching, which is genuine. Prior to the discovery of oil, Alberta was primarily as ranching and agricultural economy. I'm not sure what your pre-requisites are for a "real ranching and farming" lifestyle.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #24
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Nose antlers. Weird
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #25
brew
Backup Goalie

Exp:

from wiki:

Quote:
Between 1896 and 1914 settlers from all over the world poured into the area in response to the offer of free "homestead" land. Agriculture and ranching became key components of the local economy, shaping the future of Calgary for years to come. The world-famous Calgary Stampede, still held annually in July, was started by four wealthy ranchers as a small agricultural show in 1912
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just because you're a city slicker doesn't mean that all southern Albertans are.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #27
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

??

You might say that Calgary's Western identity TODAY is fake. Even that would be a push, but it's true that most of the city is not from here.

But to claim that the city's Western heritage is fake and was never a real thing is just... bizarre. The city was built on ranching and logging. It's biggest event is a giant rodeo. It may be full of newfies and carpet bagging Ontarians now, but to say that it never had a Western heritage is just silly.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #28
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
??

You might say that Calgary's Western identity TODAY is fake. Even that would be a push, but it's true that most of the city is not from here.

But to claim that the city's Western heritage is fake and was never a real thing is just... bizarre. The city was built on ranching and logging. It's biggest event is a giant rodeo. It may be full of newfies and carpet bagging Ontarians now, but to say that it never had a Western heritage is just silly.
It's almost as if Alberta never existed before 1947, or voted a party called the United Farmers Of Alberta into government for 14 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I believe you are looking for the Hot Takes thread.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It's almost as if Alberta never existed before 1947, or voted a party called the United Farmers Of Alberta into government for 14 years.
Or guys like John Ware or the Sundance Kid never worked at the Bar U near Longview back in the 1890s or so.

Also:

https://historydaily.org/canadian-cowboys
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
-Animal face profiles always look strange. There is a reason most animal logos are a side profile. It is difficult to show 3D depth on a flat survive.
-The flames look like tissues
-Reinforces the Calgary western stereotype
-The horses eyes are angry but the mouth looks happy
-Difficult for a child to draw
-The only competent design feature is the symmetry however this is ruined by the mouth, cheeks, and forehead having small details that are not symmetrical.
Do children draw Red Wings?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #32
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Snot Donkey...not Blasty? it’s definitely snot donkey.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #33
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hey guys, this is fake. Those cowboy hats and horses on Stephen Avenue? Fake news.

https://www.glenbow.org/collections/...gary/index.cfm
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #34
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary's Western Heritage is fake. It wasn't a real thing. It was a marketing gimic for stampede when it started and continues to be. There is a difference between the real ranching and farming lifestyle and the Stampede myth...
Even if this was all true (it’s not), mythology is important. We have always and continue to define ourselves according to all sorts of myths. They help to establish our own collective identities, our beliefs, and our sense of purpose.

Recognizing and celebrating a regional mythology that developed over integral formative years of a community are a healthy component of community well being and good will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-22-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

Hey guys, this is fake. Those cowboy hats and horses on Stephen Avenue? Fake news.

https://www.glenbow.org/collections/...gary/index.cfm

Looks fake to me.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #36
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please be a telling sign that they are coming back !!! Yes !!
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #37
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Please be a telling sign that they are coming back !!! Yes !!
Ol' Blasty is back, but only in Pog form
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #38
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever seen a good re-colour of Blasty?

I could see the black jerseys selling like hot-cakes but I'd love to see a design where he returns to the shoulder. Without re-introducing black, he's always looked odd re-coloured in what I've tried.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

I could see the black jerseys selling like hot-cakes but I'd love to see a design where he returns to the shoulder. Without re-introducing black, he's always looked odd re-coloured in what I've tried.
Prove it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #40
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

Sure he did
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote