Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #1161
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for many, my initial reaction was shock/disappointment, which I think is natural when losing two big names that we've seen lots of for two guys who we know little about since they were drafted.

The Flames had a lot of great pieces, but it was pretty clear that they were not on the path to the Cup. I have no idea if we are closer or further away now, but IMO the possibility of finding the right path from here are much, much higher than before the trade.

The D still has the potential to be Cup calibre.

G is still a big Q - it achieves the Crawford/MAF minimum necessary level of 'good enough', but the Flames are nowhere near the Pens/Hawks.

The forward group now has more potential to move towards being a contender, but are still a few miracles away from getting there. Ovy/Kuznets/Backstrom, Crosby/Malkin/Kessel, Kane/Toews/Hossa, Kopitar/Carter/Gaborik, Bergeron/Krejci/Marchand, Datsyuk/Zetterberg/whoever, Getzlaf/Perry/Selanne.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm - sadly, no indications that this is anywhere near the company of the above. As good as he is, I think Gaudreau needs to be the dynamic #2 (preferably 3) for a team to go all the way. Monahan/Lindholm both look like 2A/1B guys, who might have the potential to fill the 2nd/3rd slash mark, though I think Tkachuk is more likely to get there. Of course, the big missing piece is a 1A elite C at the level of the cup winners above.

The middle 6 is definitely good enough, especially when the likes of Backlund, Tkachuk, Frolik, or Bennett aren't counted on to reach that big 3 level.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #1162
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
I would rather be honest in emotion to Trelivings face so he knows you know what Brad not all the STH fans believe in your leadership. Not all the fans think you are making smart trades. Not all the fans thought Gulutzan was a smart hire.

And going into a draft ANY year with no picks until the 4th and having to fire an idiot coach is any GMs grand plan.
I think you are lying. That "Bradley" story didn't happen. Betting on it.
Don Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #1163
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Glencross is a stand up guy.
So is Brad Treliving.

Yet here we are.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #1164
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know it's probably never going to come out but I'm really interested to know what the supposed issues are in the room with dougie because that could have affected his value, never mind limit the chance he'd re-sign.

From what we see, dougie seemed to be a nice lad, messing around after wins & doing loads for children's charities. Andrew Berkshire and mike pfail suggested on Twitter that it's because he's an academic/doesn't have typical sports interests (museums etc) that he didn't fit in. Having been in a similar situation in my younger years, I can relate but there's an equilibrium between being part of the team and doing your own thing. Maybe just having his brother around was good for him because he had someone similar around.

On the flipside, I can't see that being anywhere near enough for GMBT to have to move him. Perhaps he was genuinely unsettling the room, which could be a problem with everyone else as opposed to him, but I don't know. There were rumours when he left Boston that it was a personality thing and we all wrote it off as Boston media being bitter.

For once I actually wouldn't mind a Francis argument, as when he gets the green light he likes to think he's cutting and uses language to match.

Either way, I enjoyed watching him while he was here and he's a great talent. We won't know which way this trade goes for a few years but if we get hanifin and Lindholm locked in for 7 and dougie doesn't resign in Carolina, the franchise hasn't done badly.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #1165
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Elias Lindholm is a 23-year-old top-six forward. He is not by any measure a “stop-gap.”
We'll see what happens next season. I don't foresee Lindholm as significantly improving the offense especially on the top line but maybe I'm wrong. Sure he has potential to improve things over time but at this point Ferland-Lindholm seems like a lateral move for both clubs.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #1166
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Benji View Post
I think you are lying. That "Bradley" story didn't happen. Betting on it.
Pics or it didn't happen haha
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #1167
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard the rumours about Hamilton being traded a week ago and didn’t like it. Then I heard it might be a deal that sees us get Hanafin and Lindholm, so that got my interest. Saw the trade announced earlier and I wasn’t sure what to think at first but I have come around and I like it for a couple reasons:

1. Two core guys for 1
2. Gino and Brodie likely get reunited
4. Love Ferlands play but he’s overrated. Heading to UFA doesn’t help, had to deal him.
5. No guarantee Fox signs
6. Our depth is on D anyways, we traded from a position of strength

I was one of the guys that was hoping the Flames would get Lindholm on draft day. Monahan is already my favourite Flame of all time so I am very happy that Lindholm is here as well.

Bottom line:

Dougie proved he is a top D in the NHL but Hanafin and Lindholm are younger and I feel just as good about both of them to do great things.

This is a good deal.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #1168
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s hard for me to question the character of a guy that just a day ago I was excited to see him suit up in October. Hamilton seemed like a good guy and had a very classy response to being traded. I hope he kicks ass in Carolina.

I think Hanifin is a stud and Lindholm is an underrated Backlund type player. I don’t think you can have too many Mikael Backlunds on your team. Hopefully he can find the scoring touch with Johnny and Mony.

It is a good trade for the Flames. I’m super excited to watch the new guys in a few months.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 06-23-2018 at 06:19 PM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #1169
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a fan of Hamilton and not a fan of Treliving I like this trade.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #1170
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We'll see what happens next season. I don't foresee Lindholm as significantly improving the offense especially on the top line but maybe I'm wrong. Sure he has potential to improve things over time but at this point Ferland-Lindholm seems like a lateral move for both clubs.
Over the last 4 seasons, Lindholm averages 41 pts per 82 games played and is 23 years old and a controllable asset for at least 3 years.

Ferland averages 29 per 82 games played and is 26 years old and a year away from UFA.

Elias Lindholm is a large upgrade offensively, and there simply is no argument otherwise.

Flames lose some size for sure, but that is all they lose when comparing the two.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #1171
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is one way to settle this argument, who wins the deal in NHL18?
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #1172
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

He seemed to take Bradley as an insult when I met him this year at the STH year end and I was introduced by my rep.
He shook my hand and I said so Bradley in what way are you going to meddle with a trade this year?
He pretty much glared at me before answer.
Then I said was going into the draft with no picks until the 4th the plan Bradley.
I was pleased that it irritated him.
I didn't let him reply and said what do you think all the fans are here to be all kissy kissy.
I don't like him and I make no bones about it.
You're unhinged dude.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #1173
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Over the last 4 seasons, Lindholm averages 41 pts per 82 games played and is 23 years old and a controllable asset for at least 3 years.

Ferland averages 29 per 82 games played and is 26 years old and a year away from UFA.

Elias Lindholm is a large upgrade offensively, and there simply is no argument otherwise.

Flames lose some size for sure, but that is all they lose when comparing the two.
Not to mention, Lindholm is a top 6 right hand shot (which we lack), and can play center which is a more important position. Even if he plays mostly wing for us, he still provides that depth and ability for when injuries hit. That's huge.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #1174
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
There is one way to settle this argument, who wins the deal in NHL18?
I think someone did that in the first few pages of this thread.
Carolina turned the deal down
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #1175
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I think we need to talk about size and leverage.

Lindholm is very good down low and on puck retrieval, I think that's one thing that's going to really add to this team as at some points last season it just wasn't there.

Also while Ferland is an inch taller and about 16 pounds heavier, Lindholm is just a better skater and a lot more creative offensively.

If the NHL is moving towards skill, speed and creativity, I think that this move points the Flames more in that direction.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #1176
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why, Hamilton always struck me as a crazy religious zealot.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #1177
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I don't know why, Hamilton always struck me as a crazy religious zealot.
Is it because he bears a slight resemblance to Jake Busey in Contact?

Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #1178
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I just waded through all 1177 posts, and figured I would reward myself by shooting my mouth off. Everyone else is doing it, so wotthehell.

When I read about the trade on nhl.com today, my first thought was, ‘Boom goes the dynamite!’ I was surprised and disappointed to see Ferland included in the deal, and sad to see Hamilton go. I had figured the rumour had run out of legs and was old news by now, so it was rather startling to see it come back to life in such an emphatic way.

After thinking it over, I see this as a two-for-two trade. For this season, it's Ferland and Hamilton for Lindholm and Hanifin. A little more offence up front, a little less on the back end, but the Flames get significantly younger. I'm OK with that.

For future years, it's Hamilton and Fox for Lindholm and Hanifin. Ferland will have the chance to chase his big payday next summer. Maybe Carolina will re-sign him, but they would have the same opportunity to sign him as a UFA anyway, so I don't count that as part of the trade. I think the Flames would likely have let him walk, Colborne style, rather than pay several million a year to retain him. Fox is a great offensive talent, but I don't know if he has the wheels to make that offence work at the NHL level, and he's probably never going to be a major threat defensively because of his size and speed combined. Of the team's big four D prospects, he's the one I mind losing the least. I'd much rather have Lindholm than Fox, even if Fox was going to sign here. As for Hamilton and Hanifin, they are both likely to continue improving, but Hanifin is younger and has more time to do so.

Overall, I feel like this may have been a slight overpay, but it's less risky than standing pat. I'm cautiously OK with the deal.

However, it will obviously be a fantastic trade and a clear win for the Flames if Monahan and Hanifin become BFFs and room together on road trips, because then I get to call them Hanahan.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #1179
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Monahan and Hanifin become BFFs and room together on road trips, because then I get to call them Hanahan.

Really? When Monahanafin is right there?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #1180
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Really? When Monahanafin is right there?
If Brodano is the template, then Hanahan is clearly the correct nickname for those two.