Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #61
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, Billy Bob looks creepy as hell. Like a magician or something.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #62
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Well, I've watched it several times now and I can't make this out. I think you are seeing it because perhaps you're used to seeing it. If it's the building on the street they are standing on after Billy says "I would have killed that man", it flashes by in an instant.

Edit: I see it now in full screen mode, but I really think you have to be looking for it. Most people will focus on what is happening with the people, not the gold washed out sign on the building wall up top.
This was fixed in the production version
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #63
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thought the pilot was packed with great story and action!

My one thought, didn't Billy Bob go into the basement when the second cop arrived? How'd he get out of the house?!
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #64
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw on the Twitter that Sunny's Glenn Howerton is going to be in a few episodes. Forget Billy Bob, the Dennis Reynolds has been walking around our fair city, D.E.N.N.I.S.'ing local residents?? Awesome

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #65
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not blown away by the first episode. Clearly, Billy Bob is the best thing going here and he's playing this part brilliantly. Curious to see how Keith Carradine's role expands, if at all. Seems like too good of an actor for such a small role.

Maybe its hard to get excited for a new series with what happened with True Detective. Very tough act to follow.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #66
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was really good and it fills my TV void.

The only thing I thought was weak was the Hess family. Maybe they were supposed to be that way. They all seemed like caricatures of Biff from "Back to the Future".

It is hard to imagine anybody really behaving that way; 23 years after high school (assuming Nygaard is 40, and he knew Hess from high school).

Funny that they intentionally changed some of the signs in Calgary, but left Spolumbo's and the Ironwood as is. Maybe somebody will post some pics and indentities of the other Calgary locations. The diners looked familiar, but can't place my finger on which ones they were eating at.

Disappointed that I didn't get cast as an extra! I think this is going to be a pretty good series.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #67
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There was a fair bit of Starthmore in that episode too.

Decent episode, thought it was slow moving and sort of plodded along. I don't think I would have watched it if not for the filmed in Calgary aspect, pretty rare when I'll start a show right from the get go nowadays. Even True Detective, waited for the entire season to air.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #68
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
There was a fair bit of Starthmore in that episode too.
Yep. We sat and watched a little bit of filming one day, for a few minutes. It was bitterly cold though, so we didn't stick around.

Got home from the city this afternoon, to find a film crew on our street. Info sheet stuck in the door says it's some scenes for a movie called "Fallout Asylum" and it will apparently air on the Syfy (Space) Channel in October. We were allowed to stand at the other end and watch for a bit. They were all apologizing for 'putting everyone out' but aside from a bunch of large trucks and such, they're very quiet, and you'd hardly know they were even in the neighborhood.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #69
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

The only thing I thought was weak was the Hess family. Maybe they were supposed to be that way. They all seemed like caricatures of Biff from "Back to the Future".

It is hard to imagine anybody really behaving that way; 23 years after high school (assuming Nygaard is 40, and he knew Hess from high school).

Funny that they intentionally changed some of the signs in Calgary, but left Spolumbo's and the Ironwood as is. Maybe somebody will post some pics and indentities of the other Calgary locations. The diners looked familiar, but can't place my finger on which ones they were eating at.

Disappointed that I didn't get cast as an extra! I think this is going to be a pretty good series.
I found that to be very Coen-esque. Also fit in with some of the over-exaggeration of some of the characters' personalities, especially some of the accents. It felt like I was watching an extension of the film. Cinematography mirrored the movie almost exactly, although there was definitely a darker feel to it.

Really, really liked the premier. I'm interested to see how this develops, as I was certain the hitman (Thornton) character would have been stuck in that town a little longer. Definitely didn't expect the sheriff/chief to get killed off so quickly, and was stunned when Lester clunked his wife. Just so much to throw into a premier and it really makes you hopeful for the rest. Also a large part of the cast yet to introduce, and we only got a sneak peek at the Hanks character right at the end.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #70
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I found that to be very Coen-esque. Also fit in with some of the over-exaggeration of some of the characters' personalities, especially some of the accents. It felt like I was watching an extension of the film. Cinematography mirrored the movie almost exactly, although there was definitely a darker feel to it.

Really, really liked the premier. I'm interested to see how this develops, as I was certain the hitman (Thornton) character would have been stuck in that town a little longer. Definitely didn't expect the sheriff/chief to get killed off so quickly, and was stunned when Lester clunked his wife. Just so much to throw into a premier and it really makes you hopeful for the rest. Also a large part of the cast yet to introduce, and we only got a sneak peek at the Hanks character right at the end.
I watched it last night, and I totally agree.

Seems like they could have stretched that story over 3-4 episodes and not drawn it out too much. Means they must have a whole lot in store for the rest of the season.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #71
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

Lou's Diner is the Smokehouse Diner on Ogden road across from the entrance to the rail yards.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #72
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thought the pilot was great and I am also happy to have a void filled for tv viewing.

When the camera was zooming in on the police chief "Vern Thurman" I couldn't help but think about the kid "Thurman Merman" from Bad Santa.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #73
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Lou's Diner is the Smokehouse Diner on Ogden road across from the entrance to the rail yards.
Yep

http://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/smokeh...lPaiaXhwCV-1OQ

And the "Realty Office" set in Reno:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.99106...vD9ONCAu1A!2e0

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-18-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #74
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I suspected as much during the scene, but forgot to check later
Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #75
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Billy Bob was driving eastbound on 16th before the titty bar.

They should center an entire season on that shady Mr Sub he passed.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #76
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was also pulled over by the cop just off Ogden Rd in the industrial park. I think I recognize the building behind it as the brewery or distillery there just north of that Petro Pass location

Any one else agree?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 AM   #77
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally got around to watching the pilot. Thought it was solid. It actually has a lot of the same feel as the film.

And my uninteresting filming location detective work: (former) police chief's house.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #78
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The first episode is on right now on FX and will repeat at 9:30. The rest will be on FXX only so I guess I'll be downloading them.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...251190301.html

Other way to watch it if you use a particular service.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #79
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Haha, the second episode has a supermarket king who has an body guard/enforcer/head of security type tough guy.

He introduces him: "You an Oilers fan? Semenko here..."
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #80
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a deceleration from the first episode, but the series still has my attention. Introducing new and interesting characters while simultaneously expanding on the others.

Loved the Oiler/Semenko reference as well.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote