Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #21
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has inspired me. I'm totally going to eat at Bubba Gump's next time I see one.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
This thread has inspired me. I'm totally going to eat at Bubba Gump's next time I see one.
There's one in West Edmonton Mall now. Maybe it has been there a while, but I went to the mall last week and saw it for the first time. Bon appetit!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #23
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Although there is some misinformation here, the general output is correct. Large group, mixed ages, go to Maui. Second choice is Oahu.

Maui is the best balance of beach, restaurants, and ease of access. Direct flight from Calgary. I have stayed in Wailea and Kannapalli many times. Kannapalli is my preference. Wailea is over priced. Kehei is in option too, but I find it kind of rough (for Hawaii). Honua Kai is a good resort, I was there 2009, 2010 and last April. It was great for kids. However, it has turned into the Canadian Cancun of Hawaii. Pool was over run (gave my kid pink eye), juice monkies all over, just over crowded. Still like liked it though.

Oahu is my favorite. Ko Olina and the Ko Olina Beach Villas is much much better. Lagoons are great. Disney next door. Quieter, Nicer, Waterpark across road, Target, Wall mart, Costco. Honolulu Zoo. North Shore. Lanakai Beach. Oh and true great outlet shopping (cause why not). I can go on. I loathe posting this as I don't want western Canada to start going there.

Big Island is awesome too. Just different. It is better for older kids who can hike, raft, snorkel, not fussy on eating, like to explore. To hear is is a a dump is not correct at all. I was last there with a baby and it was good, and I won't return until it is adults only or teenagers. Lots more car driving and longer trips. Big Island is truer Hawaii, and people who are anti-Waikiki like us simply love it.

Kauai is on the bucket list. Cannot comment but hope to make it there one day. Maybe when kids are older.

So there you go. Maui is easiest. Next Oahu. Then Kauai. Then Big Island solely based on your group and style. If it is a couples trip I would flip it but would again be close.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
There's one in West Edmonton Mall now. Maybe it has been there a while, but I went to the mall last week and saw it for the first time. Bon appetit!
Oh, I get it. You must've been hit on the head. You've been confusing the Big Island for WEM.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #25
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

Kauai is on the bucket list. Cannot comment but hope to make it there one day. Maybe when kids are older.
I have been to Kauai. It was a couples trip. It was my favorite trip to Hawaii. Kauai was the most laid back place I've ever been to. The most relaxing week of my life. I highly recommend.

My cousin bought a condo in Kauai. Didn't tell me about it until after I had returned from my trip... at least my accommodations were free because my friend had a time share.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #26
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

They need another GD Island between Maui and the Big Island like right now. It's ridiculous how few opportunities there are to enjoy the beaches relative to the demand.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #27
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup, Kauai is great for a relaxed beach trip. I think Maui might have a little more to do for the kids, and is just easier in my mind. Airport/Car rental/ Costco run. Most condos I have been to have beach stuff you can use. Kihei is where I spent most of my time. Nice beaches, but most places are across the street from the public beach. Volcano trip is cool if it is a clear morning. Road to Hana is torture for the driver and wonderful for the passengers. We did almost all our own cooking, except for a splurge dinner at Mama's fish house. Just a great family trip.

But as most have said, you really can't go too far wrong with Hawaii.

Heading there this summer (wife is a teacher). Kihei Maui, to which I have been many times and the Big Island.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #28
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Booking a trip to Hawaii with my family (10+ adults ..."
That sounds alright, a big group could be pretty fun...

...and at least 10 kids)

In all seriousness, depends what you want to spend and what activities you want to do. I loved staying in Waikiki but it's $$$, and that's considering that Hawaii isn't cheap to begin with.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #29
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Waikoloa on the big island is awesome. We stayed at a Hilton resort there last winter - it was 100% tweaker free...

My biggest recommendation would be to get everyone to pay for their own stuff independently. Don't book in bulk and then collect money. Someone always ends up wanting to cancel, and then you're the bad guy when nothing is refundable 3 days before the trip...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Book the Disney resort and forget it.
What are your thoughts on this resort? The wife and I bought DVC with the thoughts of going to Hawaii when the kids are older and maybe even just as a couple for a beach vacation.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #31
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure of the ages of your kids but the beaches at Poipu on Kauai are fantastic for younger kids....very calm, some with breakers for wee little ones. There certainly is not as much for night life on Kauai but how much of that will you get in with the whole family? unless of course the kids are older.

I will second Waikoloa as being great on the Big Island. A beach by the Marriott is fantastic for kids.

I was on the big island for 2 weeks in September. I can't imagine that the other islands are more expensive as I found it super expensive, especially food, well the beach club by A Beach was ok. Roy's was ok if you ordered the combo meal.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #32
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Not sure of the ages of your kids but the beaches at Poipu on Kauai are fantastic for younger kids....very calm, some with breakers for wee little ones. There certainly is not as much for night life on Kauai but how much of that will you get in with the whole family? unless of course the kids are older.

I will second Waikoloa as being great on the Big Island. A beach by the Marriott is fantastic for kids.

I was on the big island for 2 weeks in September. I can't imagine that the other islands are more expensive as I found it super expensive, especially food, well the beach club by A Beach was ok. Roy's was ok if you ordered the combo meal.

Second Poipu. We did a trip like the one OP is describing when I was in grade 9 with my brother, 4 cousins, grandparents, parents and aunts and uncles, and was a blast there. I think we stayed at Poipu Kai Resort and was perfect, everyone had their own place with own kitchen etc, just as you are describing. Awesome tennis courts and walking distance from great beaches.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #33
WacoKid
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Hey, my family is planning a trip to Hawaii next February, I know my sisters are working on stuff but I figured I would ask the CP collective their thoughts on organizing a trip for a party this big.

We want to be in the same resort/area/building whatever you call it, but very much like the idea of everyone having their own 'space', including kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms etc..

There are approximately 5-6 couples and then all the kids, each couple bringing 2 kids except Grandpa/Grandma. We aren't totally sure if all the siblings are coming but it looks that way right now.

Which island do you recommend? And how do you recommend organizing such a big group?
That’s a very large group, so I’m not sure of your needs. That said, our favourite island is Maui and, yes, it’s expensive. We did a birthday trip (for me) two years ago in May. There is a material financial benefit to booking the shoulder season.

We stayed at Ho’olei in Wailea, across the street from the Grand Wailea hotel. Our group was six adults and one baby. I booked our condo through VRBO. The cost was US$650/night for a very spacious 2200 foot condo with three bedrooms, one palatial, one very spacious and one relatively small (Mom and Dad took the small one to give the kids a treat). Large comfortable kitchen (with island) spacious living area and large wrap around lanai with bbq. No view. The complex has a great pool and fitness area, including a sand bottomed puddle pool for the toddlers. Five minute walk across the street to the beach and less than 10 minute walk to the shopping Center.

You would probably need two-three of these units to comfortably house your hoard. What I can tell you is this, our unit was ...... Perfect! Including the price, which runs $1500-2000 during the peak season.

Last edited by WacoKid; 01-09-2020 at 05:57 PM.
WacoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #34
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Big island is awesome. Kona side is amazing, plenty of non busy beaches, far less touristy due to the stereotypical vacationer snobbery. Dude you can go see a friggin active volcano. Hilo side can be a bit rainy of course but is amazing for visiting, crazy lush and insanely beautiful.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the volume of people you're going with, the Waikoloa Hilton resort might actually be a pretty decent idea. Cheaper than comparable resorts on other islands and quite a nice place to be even if you never leave the resort, but you can get people together to do a day trip if you rent a car and want to go inland or elsewhere on the island.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #36
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very little love for Oahu here but your family may actually enjoy it. Although extremely touristy, there's lot more to do so your kids don't get bored. Pearl Harbour, Jurassic Park Tours, Dole Plantation etc.

Guessing sitting on the beach in Maui and reading a few novels is probably not what they're in to.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 01-09-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #37
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Booking a trip to Hawaii with my family (10+ adults and at least 10 kids)

Man with a group that big i’d definitely look into what it would cost to charter a jet. Yeah it’s going to be more expensive, but would be pretty cool if you could pull that off!

But on that note you’re in “group pricing” range for westjet which has some minor advantages the last time I looked into it.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:25 AM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well, I'm not sure how snobby it is to be averse to grizzled old waitresses, crack heads, and ugly jagged rocks everywhere. It's truly an ugly place. Well, the interior was nicer - we drove up to some waterfall-hike thing and that was beautiful, but everywhere else was gross and awful. Like, I was eating at Bubba Gumps thinking WTF did I come here for?
Yeah.. This didn't come across any less snobbish than the first post.

However I can vouch for Maui, lots to see and do. A lot of the resorts with full amenities are a little walk from the waterfront though.

Go up the volcano. Tour the rainforest coast. Check out the volcanic rock and snorkeling around there. Do the aquarium. Heli tours are fun too.

Expensive af, if I recall. But fun!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:49 AM   #39
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow, what a great audience.

This thread has been super helpful even with the Silver side track.

Ages of the kids will be approximately 7 months to 8 years old.

We are planning to go basically a year from now, very end of January beginning of Feb. Before Family day week, is that a thing Canada wide or just Sask? To avoid peak travel times.

I understand the risks of travelling with 234324341312 kids, which is why us all having our own space, room, kitchen, bathroom, is paramount.

Beach areas are probably the most important because that is the easiest way to entertain kids, followed up with a pool for windy/rough/cold days.

But also where do we find hookers and blow. And a donkey.. DONT ASK.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We did a family reunion in Maui with my family (about 20 people total). Not really sure how we booked it but we all had AirBnB's in the same complex with a pool and what not. Was a great time. We mostly were all coming from different parts of North America though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote