Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Booking a trip to Hawaii with my family (10+ adults and at least 10 kids)

Hey, my family is planning a trip to Hawaii next February, I know my sisters are working on stuff but I figured I would ask the CP collective their thoughts on organizing a trip for a party this big.

We want to be in the same resort/area/building whatever you call it, but very much like the idea of everyone having their own 'space', including kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms etc..

There are approximately 5-6 couples and then all the kids, each couple bringing 2 kids except Grandpa/Grandma. We aren't totally sure if all the siblings are coming but it looks that way right now.

Which island do you recommend? And how do you recommend organizing such a big group?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm team Maui. The Big Island is a shat-hole. Would never go back.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And how do you recommend organizing such a big group?

Let someone else do it, and go along for the ride. Anything else is a nightmare.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maui.

Travel agent.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We've gone to Napili Point in Maui a few times with the in-laws. The rooms all have kitchens. Some suites are better than others since they are all owned, and some owners renovate while others don't. The only issue is you have a 5 minute walk to the beach, but you are right on Turtle bay, so snorkeling is awesome, and if the tide is right, surfing is right there. Pool isn't warm though, if you need a warm pool. The hotel next door Napili shores has a warm pool which is good for kids....we poached their pool sometimes if it was cooler out.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team Maui here, but keep in mind that while Maui has always been more expensive than Oahu it is especially so this year. My calcs are showing it to be 25% more than Oahu.

A big reason for this is that Southwest now flies from San Jose and San Diego to OGG for like $100 USD. The resultant masses means the hotels have jacked rates accordingly.

Meanwhile in Canada, flights have gone *up* in price as the Max 8 grounding has hit the aircraft meant to fly that route.

Just get use to the fact it's going to be expensive and you'll have a much better time. Honua Kai on Maui sounds like it would work for you, though it is on the upper middle end of things.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
You know you're a Hawaii snob when...
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
You know you're a Hawaii snob when...
Well, I'm not sure how snobby it is to be averse to grizzled old waitresses, crack heads, and ugly jagged rocks everywhere. It's truly an ugly place. Well, the interior was nicer - we drove up to some waterfall-hike thing and that was beautiful, but everywhere else was gross and awful. Like, I was eating at Bubba Gumps thinking WTF did I come here for?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Book the Disney resort and forget it.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure how snobby it is to be averse to grizzled old waitresses, crack heads, and ugly jagged rocks everywhere. It's truly an ugly place. Well, the interior was nicer - we drove up to some waterfall-hike thing and that was beautiful, but everywhere else was gross and awful. Like, I was eating at Bubba Gumps thinking WTF did I come here for?
LOLOLOL. I was in Kona and the Big Island for 10 days this Xmas. You couldn't be more wrong. Big Island has 12/16 climate zones, great beaches (you likely will have to drive to them), the best snorkeling I've ever had in the island chain, and is 20-25% cheaper than Maui (which does have better beaches). And the coolest thing was the Manta Ray dive.

We spent a day touring Volcano Nat Park, went whale watching (better in Maui, but we were a bit early), fishing, exploring, etc. There is a ton of stuff to do there.

Its a freaking island made up of 5 volcanoes...no duh it's got alot of lava flows.

And lololol at eating at Bubba Gumps
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Let someone else do it, and go along for the ride. Anything else is a nightmare.
Yeah, #### that.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #12
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sliver, do you enjoy taking cruises?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #13
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"And so I wept. It was clear that the culture of this place had long since eroded away. Far from the memories I had galvanized in my youth. I thought back to the days of carefree frolicking with my friends in the unspoiled grasses on the mountainside."

"I hearkened back to visits to the market with my mother. Overwhelmed by the scents and colours as she planned out the meal we would share with my cousins that night. I mourned the loss of the old mandolin player who would park in a chair at the end of my street in the morning and how his notes would fill the nooks and crannies of the homes of our neighbours. "

"It's a tragic shame, I said to myself, as I took another bite of my Bloomin' Onion, now only $8.99 on Wednesdays at Outback Steakhouse"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

+1 to hating on Bubba Gump

Went there for a meal at Vegas once. I was so disappointed with their shrimp, I left to go eat at another restaurant

Which raises a bigger question, If you’re in Hawaii, a literal island surrounded by fresh seafood, why are you settling for Bubba Gump?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All good, it's better that tourists like Sliver stay away from Big Island, makes it that much nicer for real Hawaii enthusiasts.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
+1 to hating on Bubba Gump

Went there for a meal at Vegas once. I was so disappointed with their shrimp, I left to go eat at another restaurant

Which raises a bigger question, If you’re in Hawaii, a literal island surrounded by fresh seafood, why are you settling for Bubba Gump?
Which raises yet another question - If you’re in Vegas, a literal desert, hundreds of miles from fresh seafood, why are you settling for Bubba Gump?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
LOLOLOL. I was in Kona and the Big Island for 10 days this Xmas. You couldn't be more wrong. Big Island has 12/16 climate zones, great beaches (you likely will have to drive to them), the best snorkeling I've ever had in the island chain, and is 20-25% cheaper than Maui (which does have better beaches). And the coolest thing was the Manta Ray dive.

We spent a day touring Volcano Nat Park, went whale watching (better in Maui, but we were a bit early), fishing, exploring, etc. There is a ton of stuff to do there.

Its a freaking island made up of 5 volcanoes...no duh it's got alot of lava flows.

And lololol at eating at Bubba Gumps
I love how even in a post saying I'm wrong you have a bunch of caveats conceding Maui is better. Like, if Maui's beaches are better, the whale watching is better, and c'mon, the restaurants are way better, then I don't get why you'd go to the Big Island.

Kona is small and crappy. I did the Volcano National Park thing for a day, too. Is that the same spot where you got to hike in tunnels where lava once flowed? That was really cool.

I had a big donut I liked in Kona. And the shaved ice is second to none. Spent most of my time fending off tweakers, though. Loaded up on macadamia nuts in Costco, so that was cool.

I can't remember how we ended up at Bubba Crappy Gumps, but it I think it was because nothing else was open. There was some little restaurant down an alley thing owned by a guy from France and it was super good.

But yeah, I like my Hawaiian vacations to have a lot of palm trees, lush jungles, beautiful beaches and pretty flowers. You have to work to find that stuff if you're based out of Kona.

Also, the Kona airport is the absolute worst. That alone is reason enough to never go there. It's outside. Just people sitting around on wet grass on this crappy little hill. I felt like a refugee trying to get out of there. Yuck.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

OP - especially since you're going with 10 kids, definitely go to Maui. The kids will be bored out of their skulls on the Big Island. There's barely anything to do or see.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #19
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OP - especially since you're going with 10 kids, definitely go to Maui. The kids will be bored out of their skulls on the Big Island. There's barely anything to do or see.
Did you get mugged by a dog on the Big Island or something?

I've been to the four major islands and I haven't found anything wrong with any of the islands, even the Big Island. I want to go back to the Big Island because I was there for a wedding and I didn't get enough time to site see and enjoy the beaches. But from what I've seen of the Big Island, your assessment is completely opposite of what I've experienced. Therefore I conclude that something bad happened to you whilst on that island.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #20
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Which raises yet another question - If you’re in Vegas, a literal desert, hundreds of miles from fresh seafood, why are you settling for Bubba Gump?
I take it you’ve never been to Vegas. If you’re in Vegas, on foot, doing... stuff, you know your decision making isn’t the most sound. Especially when you and your friends have spent most of your money on other... stuff
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote