Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #121
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Your workout isn’t what I do, but if you keep at it eventually you’ll keep dropping the waste. I like five workouts per week with 5 to 7 different lifts in each...all the basics. They are bench triceps, back, legs, shoulders biceps, fifth is a bonus and I usually got to near max lifts, low low low reps. If I can, there are three squat workout worked in the other days, heavy on leg day, then a medium high rep day then a low weight high rep day. But those are nice to have and not mandatory.

The more you burn the more you lose, so I’m not exactly sure what the investment is in that workout, and it has been a long time since I did it. Maybe Ill do it through the summer.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #122
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a squat rack and bench with free weights. So the 5x5 seemed like a good fit.

I'd be doing a routine every second day, alternating between these:

Routine A:
5x5 squat
5x5 bent over rows
5x5 bench press

Routine B:
5x5 squat
5x5 overhead press
5x1 deadlifts (although I've been adding more sets)
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #123
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
There is a good chance the injuries were related to lifting heavy with poor form.
It's possible but I lift under pretty intense circumstances now. I just think that my body with its composition of pre-existing injuries couldn't handle the rapid increase in weight.

I have friends who have managed it just fine and as the article I posted earlier indicates, the science behind proper form is poor.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #124
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I have a squat rack and bench with free weights. So the 5x5 seemed like a good fit.

Routine A:
5x5 squat
5x5 bent over rows
5x5 bench press

Routine B:
5x5 squat
5x5 overhead press
Down the 5x5 app for this workout.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/strong...ng/id488580022

I did this work out for a few years and you do get strong and thick. Mix in some of the optional exercises as well so it stays interesting.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #125
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think BMI doesn’t work at taller heights. The squared height doesn’t seem to add enough wait. 136 at 6’ would have to be unhealthy.
BMI is flawed in the sense that it doesn't account for muscle mass. Anyone who is active and physically fit/athletic, is going to trend higher on the BMI scale and this doesn't mean they are unhealthy. BMI is a good ballpark indicator, but should really only be looked at it as a part of the entire package of data of ones physical well being.

6' at 136 vs 6' at 180 is a pretty realistic range of comparison for someone who is physically fit and active (i.e. has some muscle mass) vs some who is sedentary but practicing a reasonably healthy lifestyle (little muscle mass but has good dietary habits).

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-24-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #126
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
BMI is flawed in the sense that it doesn't account for muscle mass. Anyone who is active and physically fit/athletic, is going to trend higher on the BMI scale and this doesn't mean they are unhealthy. BMI is a good ballpark indicator, but should really only be looked at it as a part of the entire package of data of ones physical well being.

6' at 136 vs 6' at 180 is a pretty realistic range of comparison for someone who is physically fit and active (i.e. has some muscle mass) vs some who is sedentary but practicing a reasonably healthy lifestyle (little muscle mass but has good dietary habits).
Any time anyone hangs BMI out as the measure of health and fitness and tell the story of being in a study at U of C.

Myself and a number of other rugby players were in the study. My buddy (a front row) scored morbidly obese and then ran the hell out of the beep test.

BMI must have been invented in Edmonton, it is No Good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #127
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The BMI is just fine for assessing risk across average populations. If you're an athlete or skinny fat, you are an outlier and the BMI is less accurate. Use body-fat percentage in those instances.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #128
GoneOnDreaming
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post

Routine A:
5x5 squat
5x5 bent over rows
5x5 bench press

Routine B:
5x5 squat
5x5 overhead press
I am currently having success with this workout. Started at 6' 155lbs back in August. Was sick of being the same weight for the last 8 years so removed most of my cardio and looked to lift some weights.

Feel much stronger. I have gained 12lbs of muscle with noticeable visible improvements and outgrown my suit. Now 167lbs. My goal is to reach 170lbs by the end of March.

The App is great for tracking during my workout and looking at my history
GoneOnDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoneOnDreaming For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #129
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It's possible but I lift under pretty intense circumstances now. I just think that my body with its composition of pre-existing injuries couldn't handle the rapid increase in weight.

I have friends who have managed it just fine and as the article I posted earlier indicates, the science behind proper form is poor.
Peter: "Naw brah form means ####, I got injured cause I train so hard and get jacked so fast"

Also Peter:

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #130
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I don't think Coleman or steroid use is subject matter in this thread as that goes way beyond acceptable advice.
Ya, that's what put this thread into danger territory

Let's take a bunch of novice lifters who are just starting and tell them to throw a #### ton of weight on without regard to form.

Weaponized ignorance.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #131
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Ya, that's what put this thread into danger territory

Let's take a bunch of novice lifters who are just starting and tell them to throw a #### ton of weight on without regard to form.

Weaponized ignorance.
I’m pretty sure that didn’t happen in this thread. Maybe add some context to what you are freaking out over.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #132
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Peter: "Naw brah form means ####, I got injured cause I train so hard and get jacked so fast"

Also Peter:
You come off as incredibly insecure.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #133
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You come off as incredibly insecure.
Something a bit off, that is for sure.

To be fair, I am not a weight trainer. On the other hand, have created programs for dozens of my friends, but I only do that if I regularly work out with them and create something for their skill level and body type. This has been going on since about 1993. Either way, they continue to increase the weights over time...I am amazed that there is any sort of argument on that.

I would still be benching the empty bar if I couldn't add weight!

I do way better when I have a good workout group and try to recruit people into that group. Sometimes that is my entire social life as I have a family so get pretty busy. I have a group of six or so that workout regularly together, a couple different shapes. One guy does my workout exactly (slightly less weight), three a mishmash as they can't seem to recover. The last guy has shoulder problems so is very different.

I didn't really see someone creating programs for people in this thread sight unseen, but we certainly rattled the overly booksmart lifters (as seems to always be the case).

I should add as well that I take a third supplement, Metamucil, about two times a day, a double scoop each time. Highly recommended to everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #134
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I am finding I am starting to lean more towards a plant based diet I still like meat but there seems to be alot of plant based meals I am incorporating into my diet now I found edamame spaghetti the stuff is incredible 1 85gram serving has 280 calories 31 grams of carbs with 20grams being fiber it works out to 70 percent of your daily fiber all this while having 36grams of protein and a ton of potassium iron and magnesium
I wanted to argue about lifting techniques, but this sounds more interesting.
where do you get that spaghetti? I've never seen it.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #135
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Something a bit off, that is for sure.

To be fair, I am not a weight trainer. On the other hand, have created programs for dozens of my friends, but I only do that if I regularly work out with them and create something for their skill level and body type. This has been going on since about 1993. Either way, they continue to increase the weights over time...I am amazed that there is any sort of argument on that.

I would still be benching the empty bar if I couldn't add weight!

I do way better when I have a good workout group and try to recruit people into that group. Sometimes that is my entire social life as I have a family so get pretty busy. I have a group of six or so that workout regularly together, a couple different shapes. One guy does my workout exactly (slightly less weight), three a mishmash as they can't seem to recover. The last guy has shoulder problems so is very different.

I didn't really see someone creating programs for people in this thread sight unseen, but we certainly rattled the overly booksmart lifters (as seems to always be the case).

I should add as well that I take a third supplement, Metamucil, about two times a day, a double scoop each time. Highly recommended to everyone.
Is the metamucil thing just a joke lol I'm sorry or is it actually a good idea to take it while weight lifting?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #136
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I wanted to argue about lifting techniques, but this sounds more interesting.
where do you get that spaghetti? I've never seen it.
It is in the natural health foods section at superstore actually a decent price I think 200g is 5$ also they have shirataki noodles only 25 calories per 100g there is a ton of different kinds black bean noodles it really is a game changer lol
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #137
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Is the metamucil thing just a joke lol I'm sorry or is it actually a good idea to take it while weight lifting?
If you don't eat enough carbs and focus on eating lots of protein, some people can get really bunged up, and it can last for a while.

Even with a good all around diet, people can be low on fiber (and really, the average good NA diet is probably low on fiber). It might have nothing to do with lifting weights, just all around good health. But high protein diets are common for lifting and so fiber is probably lacking somehow.

Metamucil is a really good fiber supplement, most people can tell the difference by taking it in a day or so. The containers also describe how to use it as a diet trick, as it really does make you full for a bit of time. I can drink a scoop in the morning and avoid breakfast completely.

Just be cautious, I think that it interrupts absorption of other foods/meds for a period of time after drinking.

I only brought it up because I mentioned earlier I only take protein and creatine (mind you I don't take creatine all year either). I can post more on creatine later and initiate more arguments.

Last edited by Nage Waza; 02-25-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added detail
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #138
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not really in the spirit of the thread.

Last edited by Deviaant; 02-25-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #139
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Super Fatty Gym Thread

So what’s with all the bros who do dead lifts and then drop the weights to the floor, causing the entire two story building to shake. Is this just a silverback thump your chest thing?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #140
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is in the natural health foods section at superstore actually a decent price I think 200g is 5$ also they have shirataki noodles only 25 calories per 100g there is a ton of different kinds black bean noodles it really is a game changer lol
Here's something else I got awhile ago, but haven't tried yet. I think you can get it at most grocery stores.

https://www.nupasta.com/us/

re: metamucil.

I have a scoop everyday with water, usually after lunch. I do it to save time in the mornings.