Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #701
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Kill two birds with one stone and learn by fishing for a day! Its not super difficult and I'm sure that you could come along.
Ok, so I have bitten the bullet and purchased an Echo Base fly fishing outfit. I realize it’s a starter kit and real fly fishermen might think it isn’t much good but it’s what was in the budget for right now. I was inspired by my 8 year old son who has been after me for months to teach him to fly fish (which requires me to, you know, learn it first.)

Giving it a shot this weekend in BC. I’ve fly fished once in my life on the Bow Rivdr—it was with a guide but it was an absolute blast. I know there is going to be a learning curve here but I’m pretty excited about it.

Anyone feel like going fishing some time in August?
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #702
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Ok, so I have bitten the bullet and purchased an Echo Base fly fishing outfit. I realize it’s a starter kit and real fly fishermen might think it isn’t much good but it’s what was in the budget for right now. I was inspired by my 8 year old son who has been after me for months to teach him to fly fish (which requires me to, you know, learn it first.)

Giving it a shot this weekend in BC. I’ve fly fished once in my life on the Bow Rivdr—it was with a guide but it was an absolute blast. I know there is going to be a learning curve here but I’m pretty excited about it.

Anyone feel like going fishing some time in August?
Yup! Let's set a date and make it happen!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #703
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have that one. It's a good setup. I got my 8 year old the Echo Gecko set as well. I took a lesson this year from Iron Bow and am trying to get out when I can.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #704
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, time for the age old question... where can I catch a fish?

I have a 4 year old that I've taken to a few spots around, and it appears all stocked ponds are fished out? I just want my daughter to reel in a fish! We've tried the hatchery, and a few stocked ponds in Airdrie, Crossfield, Olds areas.

Can anyone share a spot where I can shore fish with a decent chance to catch a rainbow trout? If possible, a place where we can keep it, but I'd settle for catach and release if I could actually hook one. It shouldn't be this hard to get a fish for a pre-schooler, please help! PM me if you don't want your secret spot getting out in the public.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #705
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
OK, time for the age old question... where can I catch a fish?

I have a 4 year old that I've taken to a few spots around, and it appears all stocked ponds are fished out? I just want my daughter to reel in a fish! We've tried the hatchery, and a few stocked ponds in Airdrie, Crossfield, Olds areas.

Can anyone share a spot where I can shore fish with a decent chance to catch a rainbow trout? If possible, a place where we can keep it, but I'd settle for catach and release if I could actually hook one. It shouldn't be this hard to get a fish for a pre-schooler, please help! PM me if you don't want your secret spot getting out in the public.
Any of the man-made community lakes in Calgary would be good for this if you have access through a friend.

My son caught a trout here, and many others were too:
https://albertaparks.ca/parks/kanana...dows-pond-pra/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #706
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chain lakes is good for rainbows and is regularly stocked. I haven't shore cast there, but I'm sure you could catch something.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #707
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Chain Lakes is a good spot for kids. Lots of fish and some decent shore spots on the north end of the day use area. Not super exciting for adults but it’s my go to when I go with my son as I know he doesn’t have much patience when the fishing is slow. It’s a bit of a schlep though.... unless you live in the Deep South.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #708
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone been out to Chain Lakes for some ice fishing yet this season? Or any other places that are good for taking home some dinner?

We were at the Upper Kan yesterday to catch some bullies through the ice and I caught my first bull trout ever. 25" fish, it was a great fight on the little ice fishing rod. I'll post some pics in my next post.

We fished in about 75' of water west of the point at Upper Kan, the fish were most active between 2 and 4pm and around 20 to 40 feet of water we found. We used a flasher on our new Garmin in combination with the traditional sonar, worked really well to identify when we were getting any sniffs from those sneaky devils.

Anyway, i was too excited not to share! I'll post a pic shortly.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #709
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is my husband! I didn’t want to over handle it so he held the beauty up for me. So fun.

NSFW!

Believe it or not, I caught it on this perch jig thing:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/live...perch-swimbait

We tried spoons, tub jigs, those TC Moto tubes, but they seemed to really like this one even thouhg there are no perch in that lake.

Anyway, it was a great day!

PS My husband also caught two bullies, both were around 26".

Last edited by foshizzle11; 01-20-2020 at 01:31 PM.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #710
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that's a great fish! I haven't gone ice fishing yet this year, but maybe should set a day up. I enjoy the odd day out on the ice when a bottle of antifreeze of some sort!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #711
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ that's a great fish! I haven't gone ice fishing yet this year, but maybe should set a day up. I enjoy the odd day out on the ice when a bottle of antifreeze of some sort!
Thanks Slava, I like going a couple times a year, it is a great activity in the winter to get outside for a full day and get a chance to catch something like that! Worth every minute.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #712
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I decided to get a levelwind trolling reel to fish with out in BC. It's an Okuma coldwater 303D.

Here is the issue: I am trying to spool line onto it and it simply won't do anything. I turn the handle and the spindle turns - but only as long as there is no pressure or resistance. Once I put any resistance on the spindle (i.e. if I'm trying to load it with line, but also if I just put a finger on it) turning the handle does not do anything whatsoever. So if there was a fish on the other end of the line (or for that matter a weight of any kind), turning the handle would not actually cause the line to reel in.

What am I doing wrong here? This is literally my first modern deep water reel, so I'm wondering if there is some mechanism I am not understanding.

EDIT: OK, I think I have it figured out. It's the star thing by the handle that adjusts the tension. They really needed to provide instructions with this thing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 04-22-2020 at 07:13 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #713
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Iowa, my son and I had a great day on a river. Landed 6 big cutties and had many other takes too. All on dry flies.

Last edited by troutman; 07-27-2020 at 08:45 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #714
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

It was an awesome day. Troutman and Slava are showing me the ropes and I think I’m starting to get it.

Troutman is the master though—he caught the first fish in that collage on his very first cast of the day—and had netted 3 by lunchtime.

I guess what I’m saying is: username checks out.

Last edited by Iowa_Flames_Fan; 07-28-2020 at 12:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #715
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Always two there are — a master and an apprentice.

By afternoon, the apprentice was teaching the master.

I might catch more if I wasn't such a dry fly snob.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #716
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went fishing at King Eddy Lake by Coldstream with a buddy and my son. My son caught his first 7 fish. OMG it was the best day ever. Now he wants us to get a boat. Does anyone have any recommendations for an inflatable that would be good to take fishing?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #717
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Always two there are — a master and an apprentice.

By afternoon, the apprentice was teaching the master.

I might catch more if I wasn't such a dry fly snob.
Tried putting one on a light spinner? It's still technically a fly...
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #718
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went on my annual day hike into Picklejar lakes and caught a bucket of cutties. It's honestly fishing on easy mode and makes sense why they call it Picklejar. We fished for 2-3 hours total and landed at least 70 fish. Most of them are quite small, but I landed a decent number of pan size trout. If you're looking for a place to take an inexperienced fly angler, this is it. Barbless Elk Hair Caddis fly and go watch the fish strike time after time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #719
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Can you fish from shore at Picklejar or do you need a belly or pontoon boat? I’ve been wanting to check it out but don’t own one of those...
Old 08-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #720
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Can you fish from shore at Picklejar or do you need a belly or pontoon boat? I’ve been wanting to check it out but don’t own one of those...
Yep, all of these were shore casting. The fish seem to be a bit bigger in the first lake, but much less of them, while more plentiful and smaller in the third lake.

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing