Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #781
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And when Ward bombs out we'll get a new coach and the exact same things will be said. I'm sick of flaming out in the playoffs.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #782
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Who were you hoping we'd hire?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #783
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd take Boudreau over Ward, not my first choice but other availables either didn't want to come here or were never asked.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #784
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I'd take Boudreau over Ward, not my first choice but other availables either didn't want to come here or were never asked.
Who was your first choice? And how do you know he or she wasn’t asked?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #785
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We know Tre hired the coach I shall not name and did not consider anyone else. On my first choice I have a feeling Laviolette would be a really good fit here.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #786
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
We know Tre hired the coach I shall not name and did not consider anyone else. On my first choice I have a feeling Laviolette would be a really good fit here.
No way. He punches Bennett in the head, but Bennett punches back. End scene.

Geoff Ward will be fine. He shall learn from the worst goalie pull in NHL pandemic era history and fluorish.

OnWard and UpWard
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #787
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
No way. He punches Bennett in the head, but Bennett punches back. End scene.

Geoff Ward will be fine. He shall learn from the worst goalie pull in NHL pandemic era history and fluorish.

Ward is the new head coach and the future of the Calgary Flames

OnWard and UpWard
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #788
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And when Ward bombs out we'll get a new coach and the exact same things will be said. I'm sick of flaming out in the playoffs.
BB has choked in the playoffs about a billion times
Old 09-17-2020, 12:55 AM   #789
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What is so special about Boudreau? The guy has a sub .500 record in the playoffs at 43-47. 10 playoff appearances in his career. 6 first round exits. 3 second round exits. 1 third round exit. That is with teams that consisted of 8 division winners, 4 conference winners, 1 presidents trophy winner.

People like to complain about our lack of playoff success, but we are losing in round 1 with mediocre teams, not ones that are constantly underachieving in the playoffs like Boudreau's teams have.

His time in Anaheim was more successful than his time in Washington, despite the team not being as good, so maybe he has improved as a coach. But his time in Minnesota was a complete and utter disappointment, so it really makes me wonder.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #790
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There’s zero evidence Treliving didn’t consider anyone else. We know he didn’t interview anyone else. There’s a difference, as has been discussed numerous times in this thread.

As for Laviolette, he publicly said he wasn’t leaving the US.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #791
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's take a step back here and be honest for a second.

Most of us figured Ward would be "the guy" shortly after the season ended. Now of course you can agree or disagree with the fact that he may or may not be the best choice because that's fair and typical of a fan base to do.

But lets not for a second ignore the fact that promoting Ward to HC was likely the CHEAPEST option out there in terms of coaches available on the market. Familiarity aside, and all the other reasons some find him to be the best choice the fact remains that he was without a doubt the cheapest option available to the Flames and they continue to choose that "road" if you will. Not since D.Sutter have the flames paid a premium for a coach, its just what it is.

I'm not 100% sold on the choice myself, but what I do feel is this is the last straw for Tre as the GM of the Flames. He's had a plethora of coach decisions and continues to use his "process" and find "his guy" and like it or not we'll see how good this decision plays out next year.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #792
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Let's take a step back here and be honest for a second.

Most of us figured Ward would be "the guy" shortly after the season ended. Now of course you can agree or disagree with the fact that he may or may not be the best choice because that's fair and typical of a fan base to do.

But lets not for a second ignore the fact that promoting Ward to HC was likely the CHEAPEST option out there in terms of coaches available on the market. Familiarity aside, and all the other reasons some find him to be the best choice the fact remains that he was without a doubt the cheapest option available to the Flames and they continue to choose that "road" if you will. Not since D.Sutter have the flames paid a premium for a coach, its just what it is.

I'm not 100% sold on the choice myself, but what I do feel is this is the last straw for Tre as the GM of the Flames. He's had a plethora of coach decisions and continues to use his "process" and find "his guy" and like it or not we'll see how good this decision plays out next year.
B. Sutter was paid a premium. Peters was paid a fairly standard amount - more than, say, Travis Green or Rick Tocchet.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #793
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
B. Sutter was paid a premium. Peters was paid a fairly standard amount - more than, say, Travis Green or Rick Tocchet.
Agreed, that's why I said "not since D.Sutter did the flames pay a premium". Maybe we got confused here haha
Peters was another safe hirer, we didn't go out and spend on a "A" tier coach for sure.

That's my point here, I don't forsee the flames spending $ on a coach as its never been in their vocabulary. Now take the revenue hit due to COVID and the flat cap for players etc... there was no way the Flames were even going to entertain paying for a Gallant/Bruce the almighty etc as it was never on the table.

Ward was their guy the whole time, and coincidentally the "cheapest" option in comparison to the BIG names out there outside of maybe Babcock who likely would take a huge discount with T.O fitting most of his bill but no way after the Peter's fiasco would CGY entertain that.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #794
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, that's why I said "not since D.Sutter did the flames pay a premium". Maybe we got confused here haha
Peters was another safe hirer, we didn't go out and spend on a "A" tier coach for sure.

That's my point here, I don't forsee the flames spending $ on a coach as its never been in their vocabulary. Now take the revenue hit due to COVID and the flat cap for players etc... there was no way the Flames were even going to entertain paying for a Gallant/Bruce the almighty etc as it was never on the table.

Ward was their guy the whole time, and coincidentally the "cheapest" option in comparison to the BIG names out there outside of maybe Babcock who likely would take a huge discount with T.O fitting most of his bill but no way after the Peter's fiasco would CGY entertain that.
He’s saying Brent was paid a premium, not Darryl. Unless you’re referring to the GM making the decision?

I personally have no idea how much guys like Peters or Brent were paid relatively speaking. Pretty clear that GG, Ward and Hartley wouldn’t have been expensive hires. Nor Playfair or a past his prime Keenan.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #795
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He’s saying Brent was paid a premium, not Darryl. Unless you’re referring to the GM making the decision?

I personally have no idea how much guys like Peters or Brent were paid relatively speaking. Pretty clear that GG, Ward and Hartley wouldn’t have been expensive hires. Nor Playfair or a past his prime Keenan.
According to CapFriendly (which I'm not sure of for coaches salaries) Peters got $2M, which is obviously not top tier but also not entry level.

I've no doubt Ward doesn't get a huge salary compared to others, but I'm also not convinced that salary was a big factor.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #796
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peters was a $2M/year coach - which was probably a solid $1M more than Gully.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #797
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

BRENT Sutter was paid a fair bit, and they were lucky not to have to pay compensation to the Devils (I'm pretty sure they figured there was a risk).
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #798
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be misremembering here, but wasn't Hartley a 3 million/yr coach too?

I don't think that coaching salary has ever been an issue for the Flames. I don't think that's what made Ward more attractive over someone else. I do think that the Flames' owners are shrewd enough to figure out that paying for their management personnel top-dollar is worth it as they have all been businessmen with that experience.

I just think that the Flames suffer from not being as an attractive of a market + simply making poor decisions all on their own.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #799
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I may be misremembering here, but wasn't Hartley a 3 million/yr coach too?

I don't think that coaching salary has ever been an issue for the Flames. I don't think that's what made Ward more attractive over someone else. I do think that the Flames' owners are shrewd enough to figure out that paying for their management personnel top-dollar is worth it as they have all been businessmen with that experience.

I just think that the Flames suffer from not being as an attractive of a market + simply making poor decisions all on their own.
For some reason CF has forgotten Hartley existed. I'm not confident in that site's coach salary reports though. They list Ward at $900K which is really doubtful.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #800
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...I don't forsee the flames spending $ on a coach as its never been in their vocabulary. Now take the revenue hit due to COVID and the flat cap for players etc... there was no way the Flames were even going to entertain paying for a Gallant/Bruce the almighty etc as it was never on the table.

I think it is more likely that the decision to promote Ward was based primarily on the belief that a fifth coach in six years was a bad idea. Especially considering the balance of Ward's short tenure as the team's interim HC, and his own ideas for how to continue to improve moving forward. In other words, the option for change was likely considered to be change for the sake of change, which is almost always a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote