Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #141
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I received a mail out form Shaw advising they had upgraded the network in my area and should bring my old modem in to swap out for a new one to take advantage of the upgraded network. Has anyone tried out the new modem? I heard somewhere you can't bridge this one? I find that a bit hard to believe and I usually slightly exceed the d/l limits I'm supposed to get and wondering if there is any point in swapping out the modem?
I did this...had a big blue SMC modem in bridge mode, I think it was DOCSIS 3 already so there was not really anything immediate to be gained from swapping it out. what they told me at the Shaw store is that they're not supporting the SMC anymore so I guess any future firmware or whatever updates would only come to the newer Cisco.

The Cisco is smaller and they gave me one that was already bridged. it's refurbed though, so it's not like a shiny new piece of equipment. basically if you wanna use it as an excuse to clear out the giant dust bunnies that have accumulated around your network equipment space, it doesn't help much but it doesn't hurt either.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #142
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The SMC ones were a bit glitchy in my experience. Any of the Cisco ones will be DOCSIS 3 from what I understand, and should be bridgable. If you need that, you can probably ask before you exchange. If you are under 50MB plan, you won't get any improvement with DOCSIS 3, but I THINK they may be trying to clear out DOCSIS 2 as I remember reading something about having mixed setup on their side isn't optimal.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #143
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I swapped out our giant old SMC modem at Chinook for a Cisco one. Was refurbished as mentioned. I was a bit pissed off when I got home because when I went to install it I noticed that it had something sticky on the bottom and didn't smell very nice. Cleaned it a bit, but still wish it was in less ####ty condition.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #144
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

hate to break it to you, but it sounds like the modem's previous owner really enjoyed their internet connection...and sat a little too close to it as well.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #145
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you need to give notice to shaw if you want to cancel Shaw internet?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #146
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got that letter asking me to get in touch to upgrade to a new modem, free of charge. After talking with the technician on the phone, I was assured that I would have the modem sent to me configured in bridge mode. I was adamant that I wanted a 'dumb' modem, but since this is all they offer and bridge mode assures my RT-N66U will be in control of the important stuff, I agreed and had them send me the device.

The replacement they sent is a Cisco DPC3825.

Of course, I receive the modem and before I plug it in and disrupt my internet, I want to ensure that it's actually IN bridge mode. I plug it into power, plug the Ethernet into my laptop, and oh look, I'm getting a 192.168.0.x address and there is a wireless SSID broadcasting that matches the one on the device asset tag. Great, it's not in bridge mode like I asked for. *roll eyes*

It would have been enough if they'd simply just forgotten and I could change the setting and be done with it. But Shaw, like an overprotective parent, has gone one step farther and has hidden the option to switch between Router Mode and Bridged Only from the management GUI.

So I had the option of waiting on hold forever to get something done that should have been done prior to shipping the device to me, or just do it myself.

I did it myself. Here's how:

1. Log into the router on 192.168.0.1, and disable wireless and LAN DHCP. You'll need to manually set your NIC to 192.168.0.x after you apply the changes. I turned off the firewall functionality as well, under the Security header.

2. After the reset, log back into the router, and click the Administration header; select the Management tab. Here's where the option would normally be to change to Bridged Only. We're going to add it, sort of.

3. Use the F12 developer tools in IE or Firefox, edit the HTML and look for the beginning of the form:

<form name="administration" action="/goform/Administration" method="POST">

You'll see a line like this: <input type="hidden" value="1" name="preworkingmode">

I pasted my modification a line above it: <input type="hidden" value="1" name="working_mode">

This may cause the page to bug out; that's fine. Don't change anything else on the page or in the form, hit Save Settings.

4. The device will reset itself. You'll have to use a new IP address to access it -- 192.168.100.1. Once it responds on that address and you see a login page, you can replace your old modem with it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #147
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Bridge Mode
I had Shaw set up the bridge mode for the first time about a week ago. Thankfully it went off without any issues. But its good to know we have a way of completing it too.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sure it is bridge mode then? If that is the IP address it gets I would think that would be in conflict with a lot of networks. I didn't think you could hit the login page from the internal interface when it was in bridge mode.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #149
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

My bill slowly crept up for a few years and there's been no improvement in service for years. I'm done with Shaw for good.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #150
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had a lot of luck accessing support via Twitter. They usually respond with 15 minutes and start communicating via DM. Router was switched to bridge mode in minutes.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #151
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
My bill slowly crept up for a few years and there's been no improvement in service for years. I'm done with Shaw for good.
mine seems to have jumped up every six months or so... so I am actively paring it down. I wonder how many people are doing the same thing or dropping Shaw outright?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #152
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
mine seems to have jumped up every six months or so... so I am actively paring it down. I wonder how many people are doing the same thing or dropping Shaw outright?
I'm pairing mine down today. Cannot justify a $220 bill when I barely watch tv as it is.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #153
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We've pared down a couple of times now, just can't justify the continual price increases that seem to go solely to Jim Shaw's bonus' and payouts for no longer working there. Unfortunately somewhat stuck with Shaw as there are no alternatives for me that I can see.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #154
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CBC had a news report today reminding us that the select channel mandate from the government is effective March 1. No information available yet from any of the big players: Shaw, Telus, Rogers. They are not obliged to advertise or set up individual channels until March 1st, but I am really looking forward to getting rid of all these packages and selecting the channels we truly want.

Who knows if it will save money in the end, but at least we won't have 200 useless channels, only 30 or so.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #155
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally would like to drop all SD channels. That would clean up the network and stop the inefficiencies in the system to dumb down to SD standards.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #156
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You can easily save big on your bill by calling them, threatening to cancel and negotiating lower rates. None of their prices are set in stone. Every time they have announced an increase I've called to have it reversed
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #157
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does Shaw not have the HDpvr available anymore? Just see the Gateway stuff on the website
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #158
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, no HDPVR's, but the new gateway model is also an individual unit so you don't need a portal with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #159
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
CBC had a news report today reminding us that the select channel mandate from the government is effective March 1. No information available yet from any of the big players: Shaw, Telus, Rogers. They are not obliged to advertise or set up individual channels until March 1st, but I am really looking forward to getting rid of all these packages and selecting the channels we truly want.

Who knows if it will save money in the end, but at least we won't have 200 useless channels, only 30 or so.
You didn't read the CBC story very well then. It stated Shaw released the information already. Here it is:

http://www.shaw.ca/television/limited-tv/
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #160
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Received a call from SHAW promotions to see if I was interested in the new $25 package.

I'm an Internet only subscriber, so they were offering to bump up my Internet speed by 10mb/s (I'm already on 60), and toss is Shomi for a couple months if I decided to add the $25 TV option.

I passed on that, but I'd expect more people are getting calls as well.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote