Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #941
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
So I am thinking of getting rid of shaw and moving to Telus to get a new customer deal.

My issue is I have Shaw 150, but Telus only offer 50 in my area.

Does anyone have 50? Can you stream 1080P fine? It is just me and my wife and we rarely have more then 1 stream going.

Just don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
Yeah, no problem with 1080p at 50 on Telus for me.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #942
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

RIP Peachtree TV. Where am I going to watch Seinfeld 62 times a day?
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #943
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know where to find the outage stats for Shaw vs Telus? I am with Shaw and they seem to have constant outages/issues and I would jump to Telus but want to make sure they have more consistent service
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #944
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only speak about my own situation, but I switched to Telus around Christmas in 2016 (so almost 3.5 years), and I can't remember the last time I had a service outage from them.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #945
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does anyone know where to find the outage stats for Shaw vs Telus? I am with Shaw and they seem to have constant outages/issues and I would jump to Telus but want to make sure they have more consistent service
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-u...hern%20alberta

Something like this?

Not sure if Telus has anything similar.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #946
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^exactly that, its good to see how many outages there are and how often although I suppose they could just delete that info off their site. Shaw seems to be having constant issues at least for me and I would switch but would want to make sure Telus is better for consistency. Working from home now every little internet outage gets noticed now
Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #947
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

FYI it was really easy to renew my Internet 300 for $68/mo deal when it expired last month. I called in to customer service to request a cancellation and told them I was going with the Freedom Internet 150 for $55/mo deal, and they immediately offered to renew my Shaw deal for another 2 years
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #948
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts on either of these prices/options? My current internet pricing expires in June. We have internet 300 (just basic - not bluecurve), limited tv (only got it BC Shaw phoned us up and offered to include at same price), plus home phone (yes, cellphones, but with little ones my wife insists on having it). I currently pay $120 plus tax for this, so bill comes around the $122-$125 range.

1. Internet 300 (reg $109) is going for 94/mo
Limited tv $25
phone $10
=$129/mo before taxes

get it at $124/mo before taxes, with taxes = $130.20/mo

2. Blue Curve internet 300 + limited tv + phone = $135/mo, but I can get it for you at $130/mo before taxes // with taxes = $136.50 (upgraded modem)

2 yr contracts. We are not overly techie, so the easier ability to cut off kids tablet internet is appealing.

Last edited by RedHot25; 05-08-2020 at 04:00 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #949
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

shaw has been horrible in my area. We are in the same boat that Telus only offers 50 here, but I'm thinking a stable 50 is better than 300 that is usually only 90 and is down every few days.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #950
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
shaw has been horrible in my area. We are in the same boat that Telus only offers 50 here, but I'm thinking a stable 50 is better than 300 that is usually only 90 and is down every few days.
What area are you in? SW Calgary here and there’s been 3 outages in the past 2 weeks
Old 05-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #951
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm in Elbow Valley. We are constantly having issues here. My neighbor just texted me telling me that his is horrible. It's a daily thing.

My contract ends in July. I think I will give Telus a try. I will go non-contract just in Telus 50 can't cut it.

Last edited by bossy22; 05-15-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #952
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it just really depends where you live. My Shaw been rock solid. They actually courtesy called me yesterday just to see if everything was good, and offered an upgrade of 300 to 600, or small tv to big tv for $5 each per month. I didn't take it, 300 is plenty.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #953
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been running speedtest.shaw.ca periodically over the last month, and I'm convinced something is amiss. I've tried rebooting my modem, router, and my Internet 600 is maxing out at 330 Mbps down, which is what I used to get when I had Internet 300. I'm on hold waiting to speak to them, and I either want my damn internet working properly or I want them to change my bill to reflect 300 Mbps service.

Honestly, 300 Mbps is good enough and a reduction to our monthly bill would be nice. I never thought I'd say that, maybe I'm getting old.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #954
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ A few years ago when 300 rolled out, I was only able to get about 100. Out of principle, I persisted with Shaw as they did the usual "have you tried hardwiring? Have you rebooted?" over and over again.

Turns out it was a bad connection in the box in the alley. To their credit, it got fixed eventually. But my persistence was more than what a lot of people would be willing to do. The technician literally snipped the connector (which was just a plain old coaxial), crimped a new one on, and poof - I was over 300 just like that.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #955
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ A few years ago when 300 rolled out, I was only able to get about 100. Out of principle, I persisted with Shaw as they did the usual "have you tried hardwiring? Have you rebooted?" over and over again.

Turns out it was a bad connection in the box in the alley. To their credit, it got fixed eventually. But my persistence was more than what a lot of people would be willing to do. The technician literally snipped the connector (which was just a plain old coaxial), crimped a new one on, and poof - I was over 300 just like that.
It's fixed. It turned out their modem magically forgot that I was on 600 Mbps service, so it was capping me at Internet 300 speeds. They had to provision the modem again and that fixed it, downstream is back to what it should be.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #956
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone with a BlueCurve system, have you been having any audio issues over the last month? I frequently get some weird buzzes and "honking" noises on certain channels. It seems to frequently happen on the major US networks like Fox, CBS and ABC? I'm curious if there is any way to troubleshoot this at home or if I need to get Shaw involved? It happens when either the sound is being bypassed by my receiver and playing through the tv or when the sound is going through the surround sound system.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 05-16-2020 at 04:42 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #957
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess I'm stuck with Shaw. Telus could only do Internet 25 where I live, for $85/mth.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #958
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be lucky. I've been with Shaw in the Braeside area for close to 20 yrs. I can only think of a couple of times where our internet connection was down, and once was very recently.

We had some issues with our TV service that turned out to be an issue with my cabling, once that was replaced it's been solid.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #959
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad has Telus in Canmore and whenever the neighbor has her daily zoom call his internet goes down. They don't have good enough wiring to feed 4 houses. Four different Telus techs have said "you may as well just get Shaw, because Telus is not going to fix this." So he is switching. I'm happy about it, because his internet has been crap for years and I've been telling him to switch.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #960
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also in the SW. At least a couple times a week Shaw goes down for 5-10 mins, but only after midnight and before 5 am. Though last week it went down twice in one night for about 45 mins each time. Can't say I've had issues at any other time.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote