Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #441
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They are getting roasted because they could have signed him a few years back for an average level QB salary but now they are in a bind with him looking to be the highest paid QB in the league. That said now they are in the bind it can't get any worse if they just tag him again even if it makes their cap situation tight. I don't buy that teams would be lining up to pay Prescott $40+ million annually if he hit free agency which is why I would play hardball.
Agreed, they should have signed him earlier but Dak somehow thinking he should be the top paid player is beyond crazy. I remember seeing his stats the season before this one and he feasted on the weak teams and fell apart against the decent teams. Doesnt sounds like a franchise guy to me. I am not a cowboys fan, so to see them in this bind doesnt bother me. I agree, teams arent lining up to pay him that kind of money.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #442
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dak would absolutely get close to $40 million per if he got to market. Carolina, Washington, Denver, all would do it.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #443
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Dak would absolutely get close to $40 million per if he got to market. Carolina, Washington, Denver, all would do it.
And none of them would win anything with a non elite QB taking up that cap space but it is a QB league and lots of desperation.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #444
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think teams don't see what we see with Dak? He's somewhat mobile and makes good throws out of play action but I don't see how any organization can look at his tape and think he could be their Mahomes, Brees, Brady, or Rogers. Jerry Jones loves his boys and paid Cooper and Elliott but even he doesn't want to pay Dak that kind of dough and to me that's pretty telling. By all accounts the Panther's owner seems desperate to upgrade on Bridgewater and may be the guy to do it but I don't think Denver or Washington would be all over that. He's looking for over $100 million guaranteed and while I would never say never I don't know how many owners could stomach that for a guy that isn't elite.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #445
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to think Dak was overrated but I'm now of the opinion that he's underrated. Dude was on pace to break a pile of records last year until he got hurt. They plugged Dalton into that same offense and it was abysmal.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #446
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kirk Cousins, who I'm sure we would almost universally agree is worse than Dak, got $90 million guaranteed when he hit the market. And no one would ever consider him elite. The teams I mentioned all have good rosters outside of QB. One or all of them will talk themselves into Dak being a difference maker. You have to remember current GMs and coaches couldn't give two ####s if it becomes a terrible contract, because if Dak doesn't pan out they're fired anyway.

Also, the Jerry argument doesn't work. Jerry's whole point with Dak has been you make way more off the field as the Cowboys QB then as any other team's QB, so take a bit of a discount. After watching Andy Dalton and Ben Dinucci and Garett Gilbert play QB and facing the prospect of more of that, I expect Jerry folds.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #447
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I used to think Dak was overrated but I'm now of the opinion that he's underrated. Dude was on pace to break a pile of records last year until he got hurt. They plugged Dalton into that same offense and it was abysmal.
It's the Romo syndrome. When Romo came on the scene he was so hyped by the media that I would always think how overrated he is. And as the years went on I gained respect for him and ultimately I would say he was actually a hell of a quarterback. Maybe not elite, but certainly not overrated.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #448
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's the Romo syndrome. When Romo came on the scene he was so hyped by the media that I would always think how overrated he is. And as the years went on I gained respect for him and ultimately I would say he was actually a hell of a quarterback. Maybe not elite, but certainly not overrated.
i thought Romo was the only reason those teams were decent at all.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #449
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Rumours the Raiders are going to extend the immortal David Carr. Bold move if true, nonsense trying to upgrade I say.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #450
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Rumours the Raiders are going to extend the immortal David Carr. Bold move if true, nonsense trying to upgrade I say.
Depends on what they pay him. If its 25 a year or less he can play at an above average level that can get a well built team into playoffs and even win a game or two.

There isn't a Roger's or Josh Allen for every team. So if you can get a good enough guy for the right price you can build a great defense to support the QB. Now for the Raiders that will be a challenge.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #451
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Carr was already making $25 million per last year and he's coming off a career year. I would imagine it starts at $30 million for him, but the Raiders are probably just trying to get this done ASAP before Allen and/or Mayfield and/or Jackson reset the market at $35 million or more.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #452
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you can win with Carr in the right situation, he isnt elite but he is better than many QB's right now. and like Sylvanfan said, there arent a bunch of Rodgers or Allens to go around. Raiders need to fix that horrible D
Old 02-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #453
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
He's never had a defense behind him that was better than 23rd overall and has been saddled with three historically bad NFL defenses as the Raiders are currently in the worst decade stretch of defensive football in the history of the NFL.

If you look at his career stats trajectory he's on pace to finish top 20 or better all time in QBR, TD's, Yards, Completions, 4th quarter comebacks, etc. He's basically hit 4000 yards five times (counting 3987 & 3937 seasons) so he's pretty well a consistent top 15 QB with elite arm talent. The win/loss record is poor but I don't know how many winning seasons Mahomes would have with some of these Raiders historically bad defenses. I have no issues with the extension as it's not like they are going to be able to trade for Watson and offense isn't the issue for the Raiders. The reality is that it's all about improving the defense for the Raiders.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-22-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #454
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Carr is definitely the least of the Raiders' worries.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #455
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yeah, Carr is definitely the least of the Raiders' worries.
Don't get me wrong. I like Carr at his current salary of $25 million tha frees up $10-15 million to spend in other areas. Teams have shown that you can make it to the Super Bowl with mediocre QB's like Goff and Garoppolo and IMO Carr is better than them so it's a matter of building the rest of the team around him up. If he is asking for >$30 million with lots of guarantees then I would rather franchise him when his deal expires and draft a replacement.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #456
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Don't get me wrong. I like Carr at his current salary of $25 million tha frees up $10-15 million to spend in other areas. Teams have shown that you can make it to the Super Bowl with mediocre QB's like Goff and Garoppolo and IMO Carr is better than them so it's a matter of building the rest of the team around him up. If he is asking for >$30 million with lots of guarantees then I would rather franchise him when his deal expires and draft a replacement.
Agreed. It seems like you need an above-average QB and a top 5/10 defense to dance in the playoffs.

It’s also why I think the Browns, Rams, and Bucs have a good chance of making it to the SB next season. I wish I could say the same for Chicago but they seem to be a place where QB’s die.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #457
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Browns defense is terrible lol. Like bottom 10 in the league terrible. They aren't contenders until that changes.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #458
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the league rules are slanted towards the offense the big differentiator is the ability to field a defense that can make key stops. It doesn't matter how good your offense is if your defense can't make a stop. It's why being a Raiders fan these days is so painful. If Carr and the offense goes 3 and out even once against a quality opponent it's almost like the air comes out of the balloon as you know the other team will score on their next possession and the team is behind the 8-ball. I'm so tired of cheering for a team with a trash defense lol.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #459
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364957683556745233
Old 02-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #460
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
The Browns defense is terrible lol. Like bottom 10 in the league terrible. They aren't contenders until that changes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote